PDA

View Full Version : Never too young: Iowa house passes bill to let children of all ages handle guns

AngryCanadian
02-26-2016, 03:11 AM
Never too young: Iowa house passes bill to let children of all ages handle guns (http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/25/iowa-passes-bill-children-handle-guns)
No doubt the NRA are itching to get their profits out of this.

State representative Kirsten Running-Marquardt, who opposes the bill, said it “allows for one-year-olds, two-year-olds, three-year-olds, four-year-olds to operate handguns”, according to CBS-affiliate KCCI. She added: “We do not need a militia of toddlers.”

Currently in Iowa, children can legally use long guns and shotguns under adult supervision but not handguns. This bill would change that, allowing the use of handguns as long as parents are 21 years old and maintain “visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person”. Children would still not be able to purchase firearms on their own.

State representative Jake Highfill told the Washington Post that the new law “gives the power back to parents”.

“Allowing people to learn at a young age the respect that a gun commands is one of the most important things you can do,” Highfill said.

AngryCanadian
02-26-2016, 03:12 AM
I find it more and more embarrassing to be an American! I am sure our forefathers did not intend this with the second amendment.that was the time of muskets. I am afraid for our nation with fascists like Trump leading in the polls and gun laws becoming obscene.

Comment by an American. On the guardian.
Even if it the second amendment allowed younger children they would be no more then 18 year olds. While reading through the American history i dont remember reading about a kids militia during the American civil war.

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 03:59 AM
Good for Iowa. The state should not criminalize teaching your own kids how to handle a weapon.

AngryCanadian
02-26-2016, 05:13 AM
Good for Iowa. The state should not criminalize teaching your own kids how to handle a weapon.

Might as well just support child soldiers then.
:rolleyes:

tod evans
02-26-2016, 05:16 AM

What an ignorant analogy.....

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 05:37 AM

Yeah, because clearly society would be better off if these children were killed:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/south-carolina-boy-13-fatally-shoots-burglar-wounds-second-suspect-n462006

South Carolina Boy, 13, Fatally Shoots Burglar, Scares Off Second Suspect: Police
by ERIK ORTIZ

A 13-year-old South Carolina boy fatally shot one burglary suspect and scared off a second with his mother's gun, police said.

The unidentified teenager told the Charleston County Sheriff's Office that he was alone on Tuesday afternoon in his family's home, north of North Charleston, when someone tried to break in, according to NBC affiliate WCBD.

The boy grabbed his mother's gun, and then waited at the back door of the home, the station reported. Police say the boy fired repeatedly through the door, and someone outside shot back.

Image: Ira Bennett and Lamar Brown
Ira Bennett, left, and Lamar Brown. Charleston County Sheriff's Office
The suspect was hit three times, and a getaway driver rushed him to a hospital in Charleston, where he died of his gunshot wounds, according to an affidavit. A gray Chevy Sonic used in the incident was found with bullet holes, and a gun was retrieved from the home's backyard, the affidavit said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/18/boy-14-fatally-shoots-intruder-at-grandmothers-nc-/

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Thursday, December 18, 2014

A 14-year-old boy whose father was murdered six years ago says he was protecting his grandmother after he fatally shot a man who was trying to break into his grandparents’ home on Tuesday in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Anthony Hernandez was visiting his grandparents, George and Anna Marie Wyant, when he said he heard a loud bang at the back of the house around 5:15 p.m. The suspect, 18-year-old Isai Delcid, was allegedly trying to break into a back window.

“Then I went and I got the gun,” Anthony told a local CBS affiliate. “I told the guy — and I said who is that, and the person hit [the window] again.”

“Then I said I have a gun, and they hit it another time. And they hit it again. I said stop and the guy broke through. And that’s when I shot,” he told WBT Radio in a telephone interview.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-06-23/phoenix-teen-shoots-intruder/55782484/1

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots, nearly kills armed intruder

PHOENIX (AP) – A 14-year-old boy shot and nearly killed an intruder who broke into his Phoenix home and pulled a gun on him while he was watching his three younger siblings, police said Saturday.

The teen and his siblings, ages 8, 10 and 12, were at home alone when a woman rang the doorbell Friday afternoon, Phoenix police Officer James Holmes said.
The teen didn't open the door because he didn't recognize the woman.

Soon after, the teen heard a loud bang on the door, rushed his siblings upstairs and got a handgun from his parent's bedroom.
When he got to the top of the stairs, he saw a man break through the front door and point a gun at him.

The boy shot the 37-year-old man, who was taken to a hospital in extremely critical condition and underwent surgery. The man was upgraded to critical condition and is expected to survive and be booked into jail within the week on counts of aggravated assault and burglary, Holmes said.

http://www.inquisitr.com/477139/gun-control-15-year-old-defends-sister-from-burglars-with-ar-15-rifle/

Gun Control: 15-Year-Old Defends Sister From Burglars With AR-15 Rifle

Houston, TX — The teenaged son of a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy shot a home intruder Tuesday afternoon with his father’s AR-15 rifle, according to deputies.
The 15-year-old boy was home with his 12-year-old sister when a pair of burglars tried to come into the home through the front and back doors. When that failed, the intruders broke a back window. The teenager allegedly grabbed his father’s assault rifle and defended himself and his sister.
The intruders fled, and later showed up at a local hospital with gunshot wounds.

“We don’t try to hide things from our children in law enforcement,” Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. “That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhp6OGq2ko

But fuck those kids right? The law should make it illegal for them to learn to defend themselves.

AngryCanadian
02-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Yeah, because clearly society would be better off if these children were killed:

But fuck those kids right? The law should make it illegal for them to learn to defend themselves.

You do realize those cases of kids scaring off Suspects or as in that video of Boy uses Dad AR-15 to shoot Intruders are in one and a million odds?

Texas is already allowing kids to have guns lets how that goes. Before that could change your minds on the gun problem.

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 05:51 AM
You do realize those cases of kids scaring off Suspects or as in that video of Boy uses Dad AR-15 to shoot Intruders are in one and a million odds?
Right?

You mean "killing," but tell me what's the threshold before their lives start to matter? Ten dead kids? A hundred? A thousand?

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 06:08 AM

Texas is already allowing kids to have guns lets how that goes. Before that could change your minds on the gun problem.

And I totally dispute your assessment of "the odds," since you would have to compare kids at home without a firearm during a home invasion vs kids at home with a firearm during a home invasion, whereupon the odds will be much greater. However, notice that I am the one arguing to put the odds more in the kid's favor, while you are the one arguing to make the odds less in their favor.

And Texas is not the only one where it's legal for children to handle firearms. It's been legal in North Carolina for as long as I can remember.

http://i.imgur.com/dBoHy1m.jpg

There are only 27 States out of 50 with any sort of Child Access Prevention laws, including North Carolina, but NC's law is only about storage not handling, and an exemption is clearly written into the law for self defense against home invasions.

http://smartgunlaws.org/child-access-prevention-policy-summary/

Twenty-seven states and D.C. have enacted child access prevention laws.
States with Child Access Prevention Laws
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Wisconsin

Here is the NC law being referenced:

§ 14-315.1. Storage of firearms to protect minors.
(a) Any person who resides in the same premises as a minor, owns or possesses a firearm, and stores or leaves the firearm (i) in a condition that the firearm can be discharged and (ii) in a manner that the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised minor would be able to gain access to the firearm, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor if a minor gains access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parents or a person having charge of the minor and the minor:
(1) Possesses it in violation of G.S. 14-269.2(b);
(2) Exhibits it in a public place in a careless, angry, or threatening manner;
(3) Causes personal injury or death with it not in self defense; or
(4) Uses it in the commission of a crime.
(b) Nothing in this section shall prohibit a person from carrying a firearm on his or her body, or placed in such close proximity that it can be used as easily and quickly as if carried on the body.
(c) This section shall not apply if the minor obtained the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.
(d) "Minor" as used in this section means a person under 18 years of age who is not emancipated. (1993, c. 558, s. 2; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 11.)

And here is G.S. 14-269.2(b) to which the above statute refers:

(b) It shall be a Class I felony for any person knowingly to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, any person who willfully discharges a firearm of any kind on educational property is guilty of a Class F felony. However, this subsection does not apply to a BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, or air pistol.

So as you can see, NC is listed as one of the only 27 States in America that has access prevention laws, and yet it is 100% legal in NC for a 5 year old to handle a weapon under direct adult supervision. It is also 100% legal in NC for a child to own and possess a long gun.

So it's not like one random state just suddenly legalized it. This has been legal in most of America since America was born.

jmdrake
02-26-2016, 06:49 AM

Sometimes child soldiers save themselves and their nation. A group of child soldiers armed mainly with sticks and bows and arrows put Joseph Koney's machine gun wielding thugs to flight.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=arrow+boys+of+uganda

Nobody should be forced to fight, male or female, adult or child. But to tell one part of your population "You are not allowed to fight. If the enemy breaks through just sit their and die, or do your best to run and hide" is just plain silly.

Of course, the fact that we supposedly even need such a law shows how silly our country has become. Is there a law against a toddler handling a knife? How about a skillsaw? How about dangerous household chemicals? We assume that most parents know they should "Keep out of the reach of children" and yet we don't have laws that say if your home isn't 100% toddler proof you go to jail or worse lose your kids. (And least I hope we don't have laws like that. I need to shut up before I give some bored nanny state lawmaker new ideas.)

jmdrake
02-26-2016, 06:51 AM
Wait a second? Blue state California has no minimum firearm age and red state Arizona has a minimum age of 18?

And I totally dispute your assessment of "the odds," since you would have to compare kids at home without a firearm during a home invasion vs kids at home with a firearm during a home invasion, whereupon the odds will be much greater. However, notice that I am the one arguing to put the odds more in the kid's favor, while you are the one arguing to make the odds less in their favor.

And Texas is not the only one where it's legal for children to handle firearms. It's been legal in North Carolina for as long as I can remember.

http://i.imgur.com/dBoHy1m.jpg

There are only 27 States out of 50 with any sort of Child Access Prevention laws, including North Carolina, but NC's law is only about storage not handling, and an exemption is clearly written into the law for self defense against home invasions.

http://smartgunlaws.org/child-access-prevention-policy-summary/

Here is the NC law being referenced:

And here is G.S. 14-269.2(b) to which the above statute refers:

So as you can see, NC is listed as one of the only 27 States in America that has access prevention laws, and yet it is 100% legal in NC for a 5 year old to handle a weapon under direct adult supervision. It is also 100% legal in NC for a child to own and possess a long gun.

So it's not like one random state just suddenly legalized it. This has been legal in most of America since America was born.

DamianTV
02-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Ron Paul pointed out that if all drugs were made legal that not everyone would clamor all over themselves to start doing drugs. By "legalizing" a "child" using a "firearm" or "weapon", it doesnt mean that every parent out there is gonna run right out and put guns in the hands of their kids. If any parents do it at all, it will most likely be in supervised conditions until the child learns to have respect for the devastating power that any gun has over human life. I started shooting at an early age, and the real threat to Freedom and Liberty is the Nanny State. We've collectively allowed laws to be passed with good intentions while neutralizing our own ability to hold an out of control government in check.

If the nanny state had its way, it would make it illegal for parents to not tell their children to brush their teeth before going to bed. Why? Increases sales for toothpaste companies because more product is forcefully consumed. Fuck the Nanny State. The road to hell has been paved with good intentions, and the Nanny State thought it would be better if it were turned into a Super Highway, WITH Tolls.

jmdrake

You realize that this is likely because most parents actually don't let their kids have access to guns regardless of whether or not they are legally allowed to do so? Have you heard about the story of the girl who was an Olympic level marksman but was killed by an intruder due in part to the fact that the guns in her house were locked up "for her safety?"

According to Gunny's chart so do most states including California. Point, Set, Match. You lose!

jmdrake

You realize that this is likely because most parents actually don't let their kids have access to guns regardless of whether or not they are legally allowed to do so? Have you heard about the story of the girl who was an Olympic level marksman but was killed by an intruder due in part to the fact that the guns in her house were locked up "for her safety?"

According to Gunny's chart so do most states including California. Point, Set, Match. You lose!

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Wait a second? Blue state California has no minimum firearm age and red state Arizona has a minimum age of 18?

They have no minimum long gun age, but their existing prohibitions on long guns for all ages are pretty prohibitive. They do have child access laws for all firearms, which looks pretty doggone extensive....

PENAL CODE - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370] ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
TITLE 4. FIREARMS [23500 - 34370] ( Title 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
DIVISION 4. STORAGE OF FIREARMS [25000 - 25225] ( Division 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CHAPTER 1. Preliminary Provisions [25000- 25000.] ( Chapter 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

25000. As used in this division, “child” means a person under 18 years of age.

-------

PENAL CODE - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370] ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
TITLE 4. FIREARMS [23500 - 34370] ( Title 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
DIVISION 4. STORAGE OF FIREARMS [25000 - 25225] ( Division 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CHAPTER 2. Criminal Storage of Firearm [25100 - 25135] ( Chapter 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

25100. (a) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the first degree” if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control.
(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, or that a person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law is likely to gain access to the firearm.
(3) The child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes death or great bodily injury to the child or any other person, or the person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or any other person.
(b) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the second degree” if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control.
(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, or that a person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law is likely to gain access to the firearm.
(3) The child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes injury, other than great bodily injury, to the child or any other person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in violation of Section 417, or the person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes injury, other than great bodily injury, to himself or herself or any other person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in violation of Section 417.
(c) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the third degree” if the person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control and negligently stores or leaves a loaded firearm in a location where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, unless reasonable action is taken by the person to secure the firearm against access by the child.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 758, Sec. 1.5. Effective January 1, 2014.)

25105. Section 25100 does not apply whenever any of the following occurs:
(a) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry to any premises by any person.
(b) The firearm is kept in a locked container or in a location that a reasonable person would believe to be secure.
(c) The firearm is carried on the person or within close enough proximity thereto that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(d) The firearm is locked with a locking device, as defined in Section 16860, which has rendered the firearm inoperable.
(e) The person is a peace officer or a member of the Armed Forces or the National Guard and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the person’s duties.
(f) The child obtains, or obtains and discharges, the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person.
(g) The person who keeps a loaded firearm on premises that are under the person’s custody or control has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 285, Sec. 26. Effective January 1, 2012.)

25110. (a) Criminal storage of a firearm in the first degree is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months, or two or three years, by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine; or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine.
(b) Criminal storage of a firearm in the second degree is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine.
(c) Criminal storage of a firearm in the third degree is punishable as a misdemeanor.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 730, Sec. 2. Effective January 1, 2014.)

25115. If a person who allegedly violated Section 25100 is the parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies as the result of an accidental shooting, the district attorney shall consider, among other factors, the impact of the injury or death on the person alleged to have violated Section 25100 when deciding whether to prosecute the alleged violation. It is the Legislature’s intent that a parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies as the result of an accidental shooting shall be prosecuted only in those instances in which the parent or guardian behaved in a grossly negligent manner or where similarly egregious circumstances exist. This section shall not otherwise restrict, in any manner, the factors that a district attorney may consider when deciding whether to prosecute an alleged violation of Section 25100.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

25120. (a) If a person who allegedly violated Section 25100 is the parent or guardian of a child who was injured or who died as the result of an accidental shooting, no arrest of the person for the alleged violation of Section 25100 shall occur until at least seven days after the date upon which the accidental shooting occurred.
(b) In addition to the limitation stated in subdivision (a), before arresting a person for a violation of Section 25100, a law enforcement officer shall consider the health status of a child who suffered great bodily injury as the result of an accidental shooting, if the person to be arrested is the parent or guardian of the injured child. The intent of this section is to encourage law enforcement officials to delay the arrest of a parent or guardian of a seriously injured child while the child remains on life-support equipment or is in a similarly critical medical condition.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

25125. (a) The fact that a person who allegedly violated Section 25100 attended a firearm safety training course prior to the purchase of the firearm that was obtained by a child in violation of Section 25100 shall be considered a mitigating factor by a district attorney when deciding whether to prosecute the alleged violation.
(b) In any action or trial commenced under Section 25100, the fact that the person who allegedly violated Section 25100 attended a firearm safety training course prior to the purchase of the firearm that was obtained by a child in violation of Section 25100 is admissible.

25130. Every person licensed under Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall post within the licensed premises the notice required by Section 26835, disclosing the duty imposed by this chapter upon any person who keeps a loaded firearm.

25135. (a) A person who is 18 years of age or older, and who is the owner, lessee, renter, or other legal occupant of a residence, who owns a firearm and who knows or has reason to know that another person also residing therein is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm shall not keep in that residence any firearm that he or she owns unless one of the following applies:
(1) The firearm is maintained within a locked container.
(2) The firearm is disabled by a firearm safety device.
(3) The firearm is maintained within a locked gun safe.
(4) The firearm is maintained within a locked trunk.
(5) The firearm is locked with a locking device as described in Section 16860, which has rendered the firearm inoperable.
(6) The firearm is carried on the person or within close enough proximity thereto that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
(c) The provisions of this section are cumulative, and do not restrict the application of any other law. However, an act or omission punishable in different ways by different provisions of law shall not be punished under more than one provision.

-------

PENAL CODE - PEN

CHAPTER 3. Storage of Firearm Where Child Obtains Access and Carries Firearm Off-Premises [25200 - 25225] ( Chapter 3 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

25200. (a) If all of the following conditions are satisfied, a person shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine:
(1) The person keeps a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, loaded or unloaded, within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control.
(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to that firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, or that a person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law is likely to gain access to the firearm.
(3) The child or the prohibited person obtains access to that firearm and thereafter carries that firearm off-premises.
(b) If all of the following conditions are satisfied, a person shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars ($5,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine:
(1) The person keeps any firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control.
(3) The child or the prohibited person obtains access to the firearm and thereafter carries that firearm off-premises to any public or private preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, or to any school-sponsored event, activity, or performance, whether occurring on school grounds or elsewhere.
(c) A pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person that a child or prohibited person gains access to and carries off-premises in violation of this section shall be deemed “used in the commission of any misdemeanor as provided in this code or any felony” for the purpose of Section 29300 regarding the authority to confiscate firearms and other deadly weapons as a nuisance.
(d) As used in this section, “off-premises” means premises other than the premises where the firearm was stored.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 758, Sec. 2. Effective January 1, 2014.)

25205. Section 25200 does not apply if any of the following are true:
(a) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry into any premises by any person.
(b) The firearm is kept in a locked container or in a location that a reasonable person would believe to be secure.
(c) The firearm is locked with a locking device, as defined in Section 16860, which has rendered the firearm inoperable.
(d) The firearm is carried on the person within close enough range that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(e) The person is a peace officer or a member of the Armed Forces or National Guard and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the person’s duties.
(f) The child obtains, or obtains and discharges, the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person.
(g) The person who keeps a firearm has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises.

25210. If a person who allegedly violated Section 25200 is the parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies as the result of an accidental shooting, the district attorney shall consider, among other factors, the impact of the injury or death on the person alleged to have violated Section 25200 when deciding whether to prosecute the alleged violation. It is the Legislature’s intent that a parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies as the result of an accidental shooting shall be prosecuted only in those instances in which the parent or guardian behaved in a grossly negligent manner or where similarly egregious circumstances exist. This section shall not otherwise restrict, in any manner, the factors that a district attorney may consider when deciding whether to prosecute alleged violations of Section 25200.

25215. (a) If a person who allegedly violated Section 25200 is the parent or guardian of a child who was injured or who died as the result of an accidental shooting, no arrest of the person for the alleged violation of Section 25200 shall occur until at least seven days after the date upon which the accidental shooting occurred.
(b) In addition to the limitation contained in subdivision (a), before arresting a person for a violation of Section 25200, a law enforcement officer shall consider the health status of a child who suffers great bodily injury as the result of an accidental shooting, if the person to be arrested is the parent or guardian of the injured child. The intent of this section is to encourage law enforcement officials to delay the arrest of a parent or guardian of a seriously injured child while the child remains on life-support equipment or is in a similarly critical medical condition.

25220. (a) The fact that the person who allegedly violated Section 25200 attended a firearm safety training course prior to the purchase of the firearm that is obtained by a child in violation of Section 25200 shall be considered a mitigating factor by a district attorney when deciding whether to prosecute the alleged violation.
(b) In any action or trial commenced under Section 25200, the fact that the person who allegedly violated Section 25200 attended a firearm safety training course prior to the purchase of the firearm that was obtained by a child in violation of Section 25200 is admissible.

25225. Every person licensed under Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall post within the licensed premises the notice required by Section 26835, disclosing the duty imposed by this chapter upon any person who keeps any firearm.

California Civil Code Section 1714.3

Civil liability for any injury to the person or property of another proximately caused by the discharge of a firearm by a minor under the age of 18 years shall be imputed to a parent or guardian having custody and control of the minor for all purposes of civil damages, and such parent or guardian shall be jointly and severally liable with such minor for any damages resulting from such act, if such parent or guardian either permitted the minor to have the firearm or left the firearm in a place accessible to the minor.
The liability imposed by this section is in addition to any liability otherwise imposed by law.  However, no person, or group of persons collectively, shall incur liability under this section in any amount exceeding thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) for injury to or death of one person as a result of any one occurrence or, subject to the limit as to one person, exceeding sixty thousand dollars ($60,000) for injury to or death of all persons as a result of any one such occurrence.

ghengis86
02-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Lol. Because teaching your children to responsibly handle firearms = child soldiers. You're either really good at trolling, an idiot or both.

I had firearms training/hunter's safety education in my middle school cafeteria. I don't recall any of us negligently discharging a firearm and killing somebody: I doubt any of those kids who found a gun in the home and accidentally shot their friend had any such training. We could also provide food and help out our families and communities.

The objections to this are so absurd.

DamianTV
02-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Lol. Because teaching your children to responsibly handle firearms = child soldiers. You're either really good at trolling, an idiot or both.

I had firearms training/hunter's safety education in my middle school cafeteria. I don't recall any of us negligently discharging a firearm and killing somebody: I doubt any of those kids who found a gun in the home and accidentally shot their friend had any such training. We could also provide food and help out our families and communities.

The objections to this are so absurd.

Thats not gonna win over anyone.

Although I also disagree with his perceptions, I dont want anyone to feel as if anyone is trying to impose compliance with their opinions. So just by legalizing something, it doesnt mean that I would expect him to arm his children. He should be able to raise his kids as he sees fit. But his Rights end where the equal Rights of everyone else begins. The inverse of that statement also needs to hold true as well. Thus, the real solution here as usual is to keep government out of gun ownership, which is what it sounds like is happening. Parents can impose their own restrictions should they so choose however.

erowe1
02-26-2016, 08:15 AM
No doubt the NRA are itching to get their profits out of this.

That may be so. But so what? It's the right thing to do regardless.

erowe1
02-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Before that could change your minds on the gun problem.

What is "the gun problem"?

erowe1
02-26-2016, 08:19 AM
Comment by an American. On the guardian.
Even if it the second amendment allowed younger children they would be no more then 18 year olds. While reading through the American history i dont remember reading about a kids militia during the American civil war.

Do you honestly think that any of the states in the late 18th century had laws against children of any age handling guns?

CaptUSA
02-26-2016, 08:52 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GunnyFreedom again.

timosman
02-26-2016, 08:55 AM
What's up with this "long gun" meme?

specsaregood
02-26-2016, 08:58 AM
//

asurfaholic
02-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Quick everyone feed the troll!

https://janeknowitall1.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/fym.jpg

erowe1
02-26-2016, 09:04 AM
It is a giant ass pain to get one legally in some states.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to specsaregood again."

erowe1
02-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Because if you don't ban something (with a ban enforced by state agents using...guns), then that means you must support it.

Right?

Origanalist
02-26-2016, 09:16 AM

https://janeknowitall1.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/fym.jpg

/ thread

phill4paul
02-26-2016, 09:16 AM

I'm not for the government mandating anything but there would be less "accidental" discharges and the resulting heartache if children were taught firearms safety. I had already been taught about gun safety by my uncles but I remember taking a Florida Safe Hunters course when I was 12. Still had the patch in my box of Boy Sprouts patches I gave to a nephew.

fisharmor
02-26-2016, 09:36 AM

It's another avenue of attack. They lost on handguns, as most states now have concealed carry permits, the data is in, and all those places are safer than the states that don't have the permits.
They lost on assault rifles, since the ban ended in 2004, and we had 10 years with it in place, and now 12 years without, and the data is in, and now nobody can say it affected anything.

So now they're vilifying "long guns". Just with the previous two categories, they can't show any data showing it's a problem in and of itself. I don't think it's a conscious thing. I think we're watching a python in an aquarium. It isn't capable of processing how it's stuck in there. It just keeps poking its head around at random trying to find a weak spot in the lid so it can force its way out.

However, I think the RTKBA crowd may have finally gotten through to the antis that this has nothing to do with hunting, so maybe the antis are taking a cue from that and going after traditional hunting weapons, because in their eyes some kind of ban is better than nothing. They know incrementalism is how it happens. I don't think they realize we know that now, too.

Personally I welcome the "long gun" vilification effort. Go ahead, antis. It backfired on you twice in a row. There are two 50lb weights on your tank lid, and all you're doing is rubbing your snout raw.

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 09:50 AM
I don't understand the question. "Long gun" is a perfectly normal term referring to rifles and shotguns that has been around for a long time. There is no 'meme' involved. This is not some conspiracy to redefine terms. Long guns are just what rifles and shotguns are called, to distinguish them from pistols.

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 09:59 AM
It's another avenue of attack. They lost on handguns, as most states now have concealed carry permits, the data is in, and all those places are safer than the states that don't have the permits.
They lost on assault rifles, since the ban ended in 2004, and we had 10 years with it in place, and now 12 years without, and the data is in, and now nobody can say it affected anything.

So now they're vilifying "long guns". Just with the previous two categories, they can't show any data showing it's a problem in and of itself. I don't think it's a conscious thing. I think we're watching a python in an aquarium. It isn't capable of processing how it's stuck in there. It just keeps poking its head around at random trying to find a weak spot in the lid so it can force its way out.

However, I think the RTKBA crowd may have finally gotten through to the antis that this has nothing to do with hunting, so maybe the antis are taking a cue from that and going after traditional hunting weapons, because in their eyes some kind of ban is better than nothing. They know incrementalism is how it happens. I don't think they realize we know that now, too.

Personally I welcome the "long gun" vilification effort. Go ahead, antis. It backfired on you twice in a row. There are two 50lb weights on your tank lid, and all you're doing is rubbing your snout raw.

Pretty sure "Long Gun" has been a term of art since at least the Civil War. This has nothing to do with trying to sneak gun control on anyone, and long guns are way, way less regulated than pistols and short barrel rifles.

fisharmor
02-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Pretty sure "Long Gun" has been a term of art since at least the Civil War. This has nothing to do with trying to sneak gun control on anyone, and long guns are way, way less regulated than pistols and short barrel rifles.

It's getting used with unusual frequency in media over the past few months, where they didn't use it before. There is an effort to push the term "long guns" on to the public's consciousness. Just like they did with "assault weapon".

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 10:14 AM
It's getting used with unusual frequency in media over the past few months, where they didn't use it before. There is an effort to push the term "long guns" on to the public's consciousness. Just like they did with "assault weapon".

If they suddenly start talking about pistols, they may be trying to build support for pistol control, but that doesn't make "pistol" a meme created by antis to develop gun control. It merely happens to be the object which they desire to control.

fisharmor
02-26-2016, 10:21 AM
If they suddenly start talking about pistols, they may be trying to build support for pistol control, but that doesn't make "pistol" a meme created by antis to develop gun control. It merely happens to be the object which they desire to control.

And confession bear is an actual bear in a zoo.
Maybe the word "meme" is what you have a problem with? I don't know. I'm just pointing out that meme or not, we're getting the term "long gun" planted in our subconscious (with all the "pound the square peg in the round hole" delicacy they usually use) on a regular basis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3uj4f7/why_does_the_us_media_now_uses_the_term_long_gun/
https://www.funker530.com/five-scary-gun-terms-used-by-the-media/ (#5 in the list)
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-793057.html

smokemonsc
02-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Beat me to it. The only appropriate response to extremists like the OP is this:

Fuck you that's why.

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2016, 10:35 AM
And confession bear is an actual bear in a zoo.
Maybe the word "meme" is what you have a problem with? I don't know. I'm just pointing out that meme or not, we're getting the term "long gun" planted in our subconscious (with all the "pound the square peg in the round hole" delicacy they usually use) on a regular basis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3uj4f7/why_does_the_us_media_now_uses_the_term_long_gun/
https://www.funker530.com/five-scary-gun-terms-used-by-the-media/ (#5 in the list)
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-793057.html

Never heard of a "confession bear" and I don't pay attention to the talking heads. From your link to The High Road:

JWH321
December 7, 2015, 05:31 AM
I'm nearly 70. The term "long guns" has been around as long as I have. I think you will find reference to long guns clear back to the frontier US Cavalry days and probably before.

fisharmor
02-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Never heard of a "confession bear" and I don't pay attention to the talking heads. From your link to The High Road:

LOL ok look I don't know what the argument is here. Everyone on our side knows it's an actual term which means something. The thing is, people who have in the past shown that they don't know the first thing about firearms, are now using the term "long guns" in their reporting, where they previously never did.

Continue not watching talking heads, and believe me, confession bear is one of the lamer memes out there so you're not missing anything there either.

But take it from me and timosman, and everyone else in those links: valid term or not, it just suddenly started getting used with regularity in reporting, and given who we're talking about, a lot of us are pretty sure it's not because they're all of a sudden concerned with proper terminology.

brushfire
02-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Some will choose to combat issues with ignorance. To me, its better to use education.

My children have handled handguns, shotguns, and rifles under my supervision, since the age of 2. My youngest, 4 years old, just handled a shotgun yesterday. Their first exposure to firearms was with a responsible/knowledgeable adult, not in some closet with the neighbor kid. They know what to do when they see a firearm, and it doesnt involve grabbing the trigger. They have supervised access to any of my firearms, whenever they feel like it.

Unfortunately, there are many people who let their children play with nerf guns, airsoft, and other "toy guns", while watching Hollywood movies. This is how they choose to introduce firearms into their child's life. It is this scenario that scares me, and frankly, it should scare you too.

NSFAC

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/150129-gun-safety-02.jpg?quality=75&strip=color&w=838

http://ghostwritings.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/gunsschool.jpg

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/150129-gun-safety-01.jpg?quality=75&strip=color&w=781

Bring on the hyperbolic arguments about storing loaded handguns in children's toy boxes... Ridiculous. You should be more honest with yourselves and your children. Ignorance is a horrible substitute for firearm safety.