PDA

View Full Version : Unlock the IPhone, Who Do YOU Support?

DamianTV
02-25-2016, 05:01 PM
You can explain why you support either side, so I tried to refrain from asking any Loaded Questions myself.

Pretty simple question. Polls elsewhere, probably with Loaded Questions, show about 75% of the support is going to the FBI to not only unlock this single IPhone, but ALL of them. If the single IPhone could be unlocked without compromising the privacy of every IPhone out there, I'd support the Feds, but creating a back door is NOT about the one IPhone, it is about all of them.

Loaded Questions: ABC had an interview between David Muir and Cook (president of Apple) on the subject, and Muir, in typical MSM fashion was presenting misleading information. He tried to bias everything by presenting the information about the families of the victims in such a way that causes any viewers to misinterpret ALL the families supporting the Feds, and that is NOT true. Some of victims families have come out in support of Apple. Not everyone has the ability to spot the misleading presentations, and how you and I end up being asked Loaded Questions. A Loaded Question would be something like "do you want to see Justice for the victims of the families", and if people answer "yes" on that, those statistics would show "support of FBI", thus, purposeful rephrasing in order to manufacture Peer Pressure where none may actually exist. Reminds be of Penn & Tellers Bullshit with the Pollster Frank Lutz. Fuck you, Frank! Why? Because Frank Lutz is quite skilled at asking what he calls "the right questions" and I call a "Loaded Question", which leaves no real choice in the decision without appearing to be an asshole.

Unstoppable Force meets the Immovable Object.

---

Edit:

Brief explanation for those not following the story. The phone is locked with a 4 digit passcode. The fear is if they enter the wrong code 10 times, the data will be deleted from the phone.

A bit more. The FBI already contacted apple to "reset the passcode", but by doing so, they screwed themselves since none of the data backs up "to the cloud" for them to gain access that way. Now, the FBI is pretty much demanding that Apple write a Backdoor into the phone after they screwed up, but in writing said software, Apple will compromise the privacy and safety of all iphone users.

Other threads already have the DOJ demanding access to 12 other phones.

Now, here is the real problem. If the guy was smart, Farood would have wiped the data completely from the phone prior to going on his "mission", so the FBI would most likely still be left with zero data and most likely no way to recover it. Other valid points mentioned is that the entire thing is a PLOY because for all practical purposes, everything is already wide open, and this is only intended to create a false sense of privacy and security.

Possible outcomes are either Apple caves, or they dont. Our phones are still surveillance devices for the FedGov to snoop on anyone at any time. Thus, whether Apple gives in or not, it is only going to be done to maintain the Illusion that there is some semblance of adhering to the constitution. The whole thing is turning into a dog and pony show.

Contumacious
02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Pretty simple question. Polls elsewhere, probably with Loaded Questions, show about 75% of the support is going to the FBI to not only unlock this single IPhone, but ALL of them.

Unstoppable Force meets the Immovable Object.

I support APPLE

The motherfuckers want the information? Let them get it from the NSA.

'nuff said

tod evans
02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
I will never support the FBI for anything.

DamianTV
02-25-2016, 05:14 PM

I'll support the FBI for some things, namely things that are LEGAL. Like running a Bake Sale so they can buy some new cars instead of taking your money by force with Taxation.

heavenlyboy34
02-25-2016, 05:16 PM
The Apple boys are right on this one. They're wrong on IP and a number of other things, tho.

Contumacious
02-25-2016, 05:16 PM
I'll support the FBI for some things, namely things that are LEGAL. Like running a Bake Sale so they can buy some new cars instead of taking your money by force with Taxation.

LOL

Unfortunately, the FBI is ILLEGAL.

No Constitutional (1787) authority to create the FBI.

ronpaulhawaii
02-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Apple - "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Dianne
02-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Same here. If the FBI could be trusted, Hillary Clinton would already be receiving her three hots and a cot.

DamianTV
02-25-2016, 05:20 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2016/02/24/20160224_scalia_0.jpg

MelissaWV
02-25-2016, 06:14 PM
It's sad to watch people pointing fingers at Apple and saying they're helping the terrorists and there's definitely no other way to find out whose information was on that phone and who they were in contact with, then ignoring the fact that the phone was fucked with before anyone even thought to ask Apple if it could be unlocked.

presence
02-25-2016, 06:45 PM
The FBI is just a bloated unconstitutional executive order.

Occam's Banana
02-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Are you people crazy? I voted for the FBI.

I fully support the Frédéric Bastiat Institute.

Oh, wait ... :o

CPUd
02-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Does it make a difference that the phone is not his property, but his employer's? Either way, I'd still rather Apple not back down on this.

r3volution 3.0
02-26-2016, 12:25 AM
If the single IPhone could be unlocked without compromising the privacy of every IPhone out there, I'd support the Feds, but creating a back door is NOT about the one IPhone, it is about all of them.

I haven't been following it very closely, and I certainly don't understand the technical issues involved, but that's my impression as well. There's no question that the government should be able to execute a search warrant on that one phone (plenty of evidence to justify it), but if they have to compromise the security of all iphones (which I think is the real goal here, anyway), it's not worth it.

euphemia
02-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Judge Napolitano wrote an excellent article explaining why Apple should hold its ground. It is cited elsewhere (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?490793-Judge-Nap-Apple-s-Involuntary-Servitude) in these forums. In any case, what he says is that the FBI knows full well how to locate the information they seek, but to ask for it would be to reveal that they are doing exactly what they swear the are not doing, namely, collecting metadata on all of us.

So I guess we wait to see.

specsaregood
02-26-2016, 07:21 AM
I think I'll side with: Apple, Microsoft, google, twitter, Facebook and more who are ALL united in opposition to the FBI on this.

limequat
02-26-2016, 07:42 AM
3rd option: McAfee

DamianTV
02-26-2016, 07:57 AM
I haven't been following it very closely, and I certainly don't understand the technical issues involved, but that's my impression as well. There's no question that the government should be able to execute a search warrant on that one phone (plenty of evidence to justify it), but if they have to compromise the security of all iphones (which I think is the real goal here, anyway), it's not worth it.

I edited the first post to give a brief synopsis, but basically, the fear is that if the FBI puts in the wrong password 10 times in a row, the phone will wipe itself. The FBI wants access to the phone because they think it may provide information of other "terrorists" that Farood was working with. The FBI wants Apple to write a Backdoor into this phone that will most likely end up compromising EVERY iPhone out there now. They claim otherwise, but I dont trust the FBI to not abuse this power.

I think it is most likely already completely wiped, and the phone is already wide open, making this whole spectacle a means to manufacture a false sense of privacy for other users. It could also be a test to see if the public is ready to accept Total Surveillance, and by the sounds of it, far too many are.

---

Without privacy, everything is subject to approval.

What? You know someone who knows someone who knows a Brown Person? Yeah, were gonna have to treat you like a Terrorist now. We are the real target. The American People. We always have been.

pcosmar
02-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Does it make a difference that the phone is not his property, but his employer's? Either way, I'd still rather Apple not back down on this.

No

rpfocus
02-26-2016, 02:00 PM
I voted for the FBI, but only to unlock this particular phone.

Contumacious
02-26-2016, 02:12 PM

Bullshit.

There is no legal or factual basis for conscripting Apple to help "law" enforcement.

Contumacious
02-26-2016, 02:16 PM

They are NOT executing a search warrant.

The telephone belongs to San Bernardino County and used by one of its employees.

The telephone does NOT belong to Apple.

The FBI wants a order directing Apple to CREATE A CODE to access the telephone's data base.

Apple must resist.

dannno
02-26-2016, 02:47 PM

That's called a "Unicorn solution" because it doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9gN5F4mGfo

Lucille
02-27-2016, 03:46 PM

thoughtomator
02-27-2016, 03:48 PM
I support none of the above, since Apple is totally full of shit and has cooperated with the FBI in many previous instances. This is a total charade.

CPUd
02-27-2016, 03:54 PM
They are NOT executing a search warrant.

The telephone belongs to San Bernardino County and used by one of its employees.

The telephone does NOT belong to Apple.

The FBI wants a order directing Apple to CREATE A CODE to access the telephone's data base.

Apple must resist.

Technically, there are parts of the phone that do belong to Apple (as far as their EULA is concerned), like the OS and the firmware. When you buy a iphone, you are paying (in part) for permission to use the OS.