PDA

View Full Version : Why Do We Expose Ourselves?

Marenco
02-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Why Do We Expose Ourselves?

Among critics of technological surveillance, there are two allusions so commonplace they have crossed into the realm of cliché. One, as you have probably already guessed, is George Orwell’s Big Brother, from 1984. The other is Michel Foucault’s panopticon — a vision, adapted from Jeremy Bentham, of a prison in which captives cannot tell if or when they are being watched. Today, both of these touchstones are considered chillingly prophetic. But in Exposed: Desire and Disobedience in the Digital Age, Bernard Harcourt has another suggestion: Both of them are insufficient.

1984, Harcourt acknowledges, was an astoundingly farsighted text, but Orwell failed to anticipate the role pleasure would come to play in our culture of surveillance — specifically, the way it could be harnessed, as opposed to suppressed, by powerful interests. Oceania’s “Hate Week” is nowhere to be found; instead, we live in a world of likes, favorites, and friending. Foucault’s panopticon, in turn, needs a similar update; mass incarceration aside, the panopticon — for the rest of us — has become participatory, more of an amusement park or shopping mall than a penal institution. Rather than being coerced to reveal secrets, today we seem to enjoy self-exposure, giving away “our most intimate information and whereabouts so willingly and passionately — so voluntarily.”

Exposed is a welcome addition to the current spate of books about technology and surveillance. While it covers familiar ground — it opens with brief accounts of Facebook’s methods of tracking users, USAID’s establishment of ZunZuneo (a Twitter-like social network) in Cuba, and Edward Snowden’s revelations of the NSA’s PRISM program — Harcourt’s contribution is uniquely indebted to critical theory. Riffing on the work of another French philosopher, Gilles Deleuze, and his evocative 1992 fragment “Postscript on the Societies of Control,” Harcourt settles upon the phrase “Expository Society” to describe our current situation, one in which we “have become dulled to the perils of digital transparence” and enamored of exposure. This new form of expository power, Harcourt explains, “embeds punitive transparence into our hedonist indulgences and inserts the power to punish in our daily pleasures.”

The expository society has been long in the making. Its roots are in ancient Greece and Rome, where the “age of the spectacle” commenced and began its evolution. It is worth quoting Harcourt’s summary of this history at length:

To render something public was expensive, and so the ancients would gather together, amass themselves to watch, to share, to partake in a public act of entertainment. There was no replay button, nor were there any video feeds and no mechanical arts of reproduction. The modern era of surveillance, on the other hand, gave proof of the cost of security. To render secure was expensive, and so the moderns discovered ways to surveil more efficiently, to see everyone from a single gaze, to turn the arena inside out, to imagine the panopticon. In the digital age today, publicity has become virtually costless and surveillance practically free of charge.

And yet, while spectacles and surveillance may be “costless” and “practically free,” the expository society is fundamentally about profit. On the corporate side, the business models of companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Uber, and Amazon are based on the principle of user enjoyment. Social media, we all know from experience, is addictive; our pleasure is habit-forming by design.

For more: https://theintercept.com/2016/01/23/surveillance-bernard-harcourt-why-do-we-expose-ourselves/

TheTexan
02-24-2016, 12:48 AM
Exposing yourself can be quite illegal

wizardwatson
02-24-2016, 02:09 AM
Exposing yourself can be quite illegal

Some people think they are above the law.

https://media.giphy.com/media/tQj9HDl6YxbcQ/giphy.gif

LibForestPaul
02-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Harcourt settles upon the phrase “Expository Society” to describe our current situation
Forced expository society. If you want to ride, you must ...
ex.
E911. Regulations on how smart-phones are engineered.
DMCA. Regulations on how liability is levied.
Healthcare fine. Regulations levying fines on personal choice.
EMR + HIPAA. Regulations forcing easy transfer of private records.

Todd
02-24-2016, 07:08 AM
The need for acceptance, approval and to be recognized. I think it's human nature when people feel disconnected and lonely.

Working Poor
02-24-2016, 08:18 AM
surveillance may be “costless” and “practically free,”

WTF it is not free at all the citizens of this world have been heavily taxed in order to pay for the components of surveillance. In America alone 100's of billions of dollars have gone to the field of surveillance.

DamianTV
02-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Exposure is expected for convenience. It is convenient to let someone else think for you as well.

Ronin Truth
02-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Because we're perverts? <shrug>

DamianTV
02-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Self exposure has been Incentivized and Rewarded.

The opposite side of this is that people "feel cut off and left out", despite being no more "cut off or left out" than those born before the age of the interweb were. We can still make phone calls, talk to neighbors and friends, send letters, go to public hangouts, have friends over, go for drives with friends. That all still exists as it did for us. What has changed is the Perception of Connectivity. If youre not on Facebook or Texting, that is the new definition of cut-off and left out, and too many seem to care very little about total surveillance. Those that feel that way have embraced the Propaganda and have been manipulated by Mass Psychology. They think only what they are told to think.

Companies have basically done the same thing and embraced the same ideologies. This is probably my perspective bias with my background and education being technical in its nature. I dont think we produce jack shit any more. Instead, new companies focus on creating products and services that create that connectivity. I'd say less are interested in making a furniture business or growing produce and instead "build an app". For the most part, those businesses that seem to have any money arent the ones that are establishing new products, they are after the "quick buck" instead of doing a lot of work with less results that are consistent for a long period of time. Those that seem to be interested will probably go into the franchise business. They wont build a new business from the ground up, they'll "just buy" into an existing framework and use that as a blueprint. Everybody wants to be the next Bill Gates or Fuckerberg.

I cant blame anyone for wanting to maximize profits or establishing a business that actually succeeds, but what I think is happening is there is a MASSIVE DISCONNECT that is displacing the true connectivity that we have. If you go into any franchise store and ask almost any question, you will probably be immediately redirected with a paraphrasement of "have you been to our website?" as a rhetorical response. What this is turning into is the equivalent of going to a bar and trying to get a beer and being told "you should order that with our app" instead of actually being provided with a beer. It has created a Middleman and that Middleman is Total Surveillance. The other side of this is you order a drink, it isnt what you ordered and telling the bartender that just made your drink that they gave you the wrong drink and they respond by sending you to their app or website to resolve that. Personally, when I hear people tell me to use their app or go to their website while in their store, I am insulted as a customer and what I hear from them is "I dont want to do my job so go fuck yourself and leave me alone".

The whole thing about exposure is that how the younger generation expects to communicate. They dont expect to have a waitress ask them what they want to eat, they expect to be able to place their order with an app or a website. This is called a Normalcy Bias, and it stems from the concept that apps and websites are how they expect to communicate with their friends and family and do business. Total electronic dependancy.

Oh god, the power just went out, and it looks like it will be out for a while! What. Ever. Will. We. Do? Does this mean we have to TALK instead of texting or being digitally entertained? The consequences of Total Electronic Dependency where people only communicate by some electronic means is going to be devastating. Roughly 90% of human communication is NON VERBAL. Its those little idiosynchratic gestures and movements that allow us to differentiate between sarcasm and genuine insult. For example, I just typed out "What. Ever. Will. We. Do?" which by way of punctuation is intended as sarcasm, but for the existing generation that barely knows. the, difference? between; a! period: and# a* comma( or% punctuation# their ability to communicate complex ideas is severiously compromised. Non verbal communication is how I communicate with my animals. The commands that I issue to my dogs are heavily reinforced with tone, body language, physical gestures, posture, gesture, eye movement, and probably a ton of other things even Im not aware of. Yet, my animals understand they can communicate ideas with me. I have to go potty. Im hungry. Im bored. I dont feel good. I want to go for a car ride. This next generation with its electronic dependency will have absolutely no clue how to train a dog if they cant send it a text by which telling it to "sit" or "stay". They have become something that I affectionately refer to as Digitally Retarded. In the digital world, they are quite good, but when it comes to real life, they may just as well have actual Asbergers, and would even read the name of that mental condition as Ass Burgers and blow it off as a joke instead of understanding its real context.

So why do we expose ourselves? There are a lot of reasons which apply to many different situations, but in general, people know no better.

DamianTV
02-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Satire Vid by Fisharmor (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?490738-Ok-this-time-the-market-has-gone-too-far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Zippyjuan
02-24-2016, 08:55 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NUirZfR1L._SY355_.jpg