PDA

View Full Version : DoJ Wants Apple To Decrypt 12 More iPhones

DamianTV
02-23-2016, 08:06 PM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/02/23/1812257/doj-wants-apple-to-decrypt-12-more-iphones
http://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-department-seeks-to-force-apple-to-extract-data-from-about-12-other-iphones-1456202213
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2718214/Apple-Allwrits-List.pdf
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160223/07015733683/list-12-other-cases-where-doj-has-demanded-apple-help-it-hack-into-iphones.shtml

he Wall Street Journal (paywalled) is reporting that the Department of Justice is seeking Apple's help in decrypting 12 other iPhones that may contain crime-related evidence. The cases are not identified, though a list of the 12 phones in question has come out, but it is not known what level of Apple assistance is required (i.e., how many of those cases are waiting on the FBI request for special firmware to be developed and to be used on "one more phone"). It appears Tim Cook's assertion that hundreds of requests are waiting on this software may not be a fabrication, and the goal is not about just one phone, but to set a precedent to unlock more phones.

As TechDirt (which also lists those 12 cases, a list which certainly does not encompass all the phones the Feds would like to peer into) puts it, "[O]nce again, Director Comey was flat out lying when he claimed the FBI has no interest in setting a precedent."

Reference links at top of post.

---

They need to just flat out admit what their real goal is, a Backdoor into EVERY Cellphone, period.

Besides, this:

Apple's iPhone Already Has a Backdoor
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/16/02/22/1518202/apples-iphone-already-has-a-backdoor

As the Department of Justice exerts legal pressure on Apple in an effort to recover data from the iPhone used by Syed Rizwan Farook, Apple's CEO has publicly stated that "the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone." But, as one Windows rootkit developer has observed, the existing functionality that the FBI seeks to leverage is itself a backdoor. Specifically, the ability to remotely update code on a device automatically, without user intervention, represents a fairly serious threat vector. Update features marketed as a safety mechanism can just as easily be wielded to subvert technology if the update source isn't trustworthy. Something to consider in light of the government's ability to steal digital certificates and manipulate network traffic, not to mention the private sector's lengthy history of secret cooperation.

Sources on link above.

---

The real goal is that once they fully eliminate Privacy completely, they will hold you accountable for EVERY perceived slight of the Injustice System. Theyre not gonna pull on the chains of enslavement until everyone wears them. That is when you will see full scale application of the end of privacy, and people will be disappeared in the middle of the night, never to be heard from again.

CPUd
02-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Alternatively, people will just stop buying iphones.

DamianTV
02-23-2016, 08:22 PM

Id hope people would just stop buying Smart Phones altogether. Where do we think the govt gets all the data on every individual? They certainly dont do all the work themselves. Sadly, many people still believe "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" and do not consider that "without privacy, everything is subject to approval".

Dianne
02-23-2016, 08:50 PM
I think all this is bull crap. Apple and the Feds working together for years now. All they are trying to do is make us believe our phones are private, with this fake argument, just to boost Apple's phone sales. You think Apple gives a shit about your privacy? They give a shit about sales.

CPUd
02-23-2016, 09:08 PM
I think all this is bull crap. Apple and the Feds working together for years now. All they are trying to do is make us believe our phones are private, with this fake argument, just to boost Apple's phone sales. You think Apple gives a shit about your privacy? They give a shit about sales.

That's why they encrypted the disk on the phones, they took a hit in sales after Snowden. That part of the phone is actually very secure, but then they create an automated method to decrypt it that is based on a 4-digit lock screen, and the disk in its decrypted state copies data to its cloud service. It is like those wifi access points that use WPA2, which is fairly difficult to break when you use a strong password, and they even generate random passwords. But then they add a feature called Wifi Protected Setup where you just enter a 4 or 6 digit numeric and let it do the rest. It is like having a bank vault with a screen door.

DamianTV
02-24-2016, 02:37 AM

Agree. By putting so much media attention, what they are really doing is manufacturing a false sense of privacy. I would not put it past our govt to concoct a scheme like this at all.

Brian4Liberty
02-24-2016, 11:45 AM
They need to just flat out admit what their real goal is, a Backdoor into EVERY Cellphone, period.

And every internet or network enabled device. Your TVs, cable/satellite boxes, home security system, gaming systems, lights, coffee maker and every device that includes a microphone or camera.

Brian4Liberty
02-24-2016, 11:48 AM

There will be competitive advantages and disadvantages of manufacturing under certain governments. More incentive for companies to manufacture where there are less restrictions and requirements (i.e not the US).

timosman
02-24-2016, 11:56 AM
There will be competitive advantages and disadvantages of manufacturing under certain governments. More incentive for companies to manufacture where there are less restrictions and requirements (i.e not the US).

The upcoming trade wars:
Sorry, dear user. You are not allowed to use your phone on our network. Based on your phone's IMEI we have determined it was manufactured for a company we do not like.

DamianTV
02-24-2016, 04:52 PM
The upcoming trade wars:
Sorry, dear user. You are not allowed to use your phone on our network. Based on your phone's IMEI we have determined it was manufactured for a company we do not like.

It could also be the type of traffic coming off the phone too. If they cant decrypt it and see what youre doing, then youre not allowed to use their network. Not quite there yet, but we are on our way to doing that.

devil21
02-25-2016, 01:52 AM

Exactly. It's been reported for years that NSA has had back-doors into all internet/telecom tech, even intercepting hardware before it goes to manufacturer to drop their backdoors into the hardware and software. This charade is another example of setting a perception framework to legalize something that has been illegally done for a long time already while making Apple look like it's on the side of the customer. Apple is tapped out of ideas and new tech.

For those that are behind the curve, intelligence agencies have been behind the founding and funding of most of the giant blue chip tech companies like Apple and Facebook (with development help from DARPA and ilk). Guys like Zuckerberg are faces to sell stories.

muh_roads
02-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Id hope people would just stop buying Smart Phones altogether. Where do we think the govt gets all the data on every individual? They certainly dont do all the work themselves. Sadly, many people still believe "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" and do not consider that "without privacy, everything is subject to approval".

That's like saying a woman shouldn't wear a dress because rape is easier.

People should be able to pursue and use technology how they want. And they should demand more encryption, not less.

GunnyFreedom
02-25-2016, 05:20 PM
That's why they encrypted the disk on the phones, they took a hit in sales after Snowden. That part of the phone is actually very secure, but then they create an automated method to decrypt it that is based on a 4-digit lock screen, and the disk in its decrypted state copies data to its cloud service. It is like those wifi access points that use WPA2, which is fairly difficult to break when you use a strong password, and they even generate random passwords. But then they add a feature called Wifi Protected Setup where you just enter a 4 or 6 digit numeric and let it do the rest. It is like having a bank vault with a screen door.

That's entirely up to the user. Passcodes can be as long and complicated as you want. They don't have to be 4 numbers. That's just what users choose for convenience. Mine is completely and utterly uncrackable.

GunnyFreedom
02-25-2016, 05:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UnMtroG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ykjUTXE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gtb1n6U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9l0JQZo.jpg

Also, bear in mind that you can mix Chinese, Swahili, Sanskrit, Hebrew, Cyrillic, and whatever characters you like into your lockscreen passcode. The larger your base character set, it will exponentially increase the time necessary to brute force your password.

DamianTV
02-25-2016, 05:52 PM
+Rep to Gunny, especially for using different characters.

For computer users with non laptop keyboards, you can put in all 255 Ascii Characters by holding down an ALT Key and typing in a number on the right numbers (not the top) between 0 and 255, then releasing the ALT Key. *

■²ⁿ√·∙°≈÷⌡⌠≤≥±≡∩εφ∞δΩΘΦτµσΣπΓßα▀▄▌▐▬█┌┘╪╫╓╒╘╙

Those are characters that come up for me as I type them in on my fully ENGLISH keyboard input. You'll probably get something similar. Try using that for a password.

CPUd
02-25-2016, 06:44 PM
What iOS is that?

CPUd
02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
That's like saying a woman shouldn't wear a dress because rape is easier.

People should be able to pursue and use technology how they want. And they should demand more encryption, not less.

There is definitely a redefinition of privacy happening, I think it is a consequence of innovation. It will take another 5 years or so to work it out, but there should be a clear definition of what constitutes public domain.

GunnyFreedom
02-25-2016, 06:55 PM
+Rep to Gunny, especially for using different characters.

For computer users with non laptop keyboards, you can put in all 255 Ascii Characters by holding down an ALT Key and typing in a number on the right numbers (not the top) between 0 and 255, then releasing the ALT Key. *

■²ⁿ√·∙°≈÷⌡⌠≤≥±≡∩εφ∞δΩΘΦτµσΣπΓßα▀▄▌▐▬█┌┘╪╫╓╒╘╙

Those are characters that come up for me as I type them in on my fully ENGLISH keyboard input. You'll probably get something similar. Try using that for a password.

+Rep back at ya for showing people how to use high ASCII for passwords. It not only that it adds another 255 characters to the palette dramatically increasing the time necessary to brute force, but also that the chances of them even trying high ASCII characters at all are somewhere between slim and none. Something like probably 0.00001% of people are going to have ASCII in their passwords, and running ASCII in your brute force cracker will slow the process down by three orders of magnitude PER CHARACTER LENGTH. It's just not gonna happen.

I would LOVE to figure out how to access the entire Unicode set via simple keystrokes. With a character set 1,114,112 deep, a dinky little four character passcode would take over 100,000 years to brute force...assuming they even think to try the unicode palette in the first place. :D

UtahApocalypse
02-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Talked to a cop of a small 75k-100k size city and they evnt have 3 that they would love to get a court to order this for.... and if this on passes the precedent is set.

GunnyFreedom
02-25-2016, 07:02 PM
What iOS is that?
I'm running 9.2.1, but you've been able to do this for quite a while now.

Since iOS 5 in 2012 per this website telling you how to do it:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-to-assign-a-passcode-with-more-than-four-digits-to-secure-your-ios-devi