PDA

View Full Version : Is running for town council going to help me get eventually get elected to Congress?

chiefsmurph
02-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Hi there,

I am a 25-year-old software engineer, but my long-term goal has always been to get involved with politics because A) I am a libertarian and B) I think it's time someone packaged the libertarian message in a way that appealed to the masses. There is currently an opening in my current city with a population of ~150,000 for town council. My question for you is....if I were to run for that seat and win (somehow....), would it help my chances of eventually becoming a Congressman or Senator? Or do you think it is a waste of time and I should invest it doing something else?

P.S. I should warn you, as much as I love Ron and Rand, I would not necessarily be an exact clone of them. Though I would take the best and most important parts of their platforms.

invisible
02-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Yes, it would absolutely help! It would give you the chance to build a record, and political allies in state and local levels of government. Without having those things, it makes getting elected to Congress much more difficult. Starting on a lower rung of the ladder and working your way up increases your chances of success. Amash was in the State Legislature, Massie was like a County Executive or something. Local and state-level elections are easier and cheaper to win. By all means, run for the Town Council!

Can you still get on the ballot in time for this election? Is the seat open for your ward or district? What would you be facing, in terms of competing candidates, in both the primary and the general election? How do your positions match up with the issues important in the district, and can you present them in a way that will resonate?

erowe1
02-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Yes.

Dianne
02-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Yes, it would be super helpful !! Run and win. While there, don't be shy. Get your name well known.

Schifference
02-23-2016, 01:25 PM
It would be much more effective if you could somehow become popular on a reality TV show.

chiefsmurph
02-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Geez guys, I posted this on reddit libertarian and I'm getting a whole lot of backlash saying that by me wanting to run for a government that makes me an authoritarian....

:toady:

Ron Paul? There's no way you can say he was not all about freedom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/477vqr/is_running_for_town_council_going_to_help_me_get/

What do you all think?

chiefsmurph
02-23-2016, 01:30 PM
The truth is that I have never felt very strongly about local government because honestly I would support certain regulations if they were done at the state and or local levels. That said I would still be the most libertarian person on the city council lets just say that much.

chiefsmurph
02-23-2016, 01:31 PM
It would be much more effective if you could somehow become popular on a reality TV show.

I completely agree!!!

UtahApocalypse
02-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Personally, I am a firm believer that politics start locally. Running for Council 'could' indeed be helpful for future political aspirations. However, do NOT make that the focus. I am looking at running in the future but have set it out into a longer 5-7 year plan. I will post some of the things I intend to do during that time frame to help be successful.

Right away start to get familiar with the issues of that your city is dealing with. A good way to do so is start attending ALL of the various council, committee, and commission meeting that you can. See if the have the minutes/agendas from previous meeting available online, read them, study them, learn them, and start flushing your opinion on these. get connected with any local Facebook groups, as these can give a great insight to what the citizens in your city care about, and their opinions on local issues. Doing these things not only prepares you to address the issues but gets you connected and involved in the matters, showing this lets the people who will vote for you that your serious, and what you think of these things. Speak! take the time to address the council or meeting during the public statement portion of these meetings. Pick one of the topics you have a clear stance on, have found the public to be invested in, and can contribute new ideas, information or thoughts into the conversation. Remember even this early on the more connections you make, the more you can make later helping in your entire political career.

Once you have a good understanding of the issues then try and get appointed to one of the commissions or committees for the city. Depending on the way your government is set up these can be extremly varied in scope, length, and if they can make functionary decisions. Some of these could be set up to deal with a specific issue that may be short term. Others can be ongoing. Getting on, or, at least, being an active participant in these again shows your interest, seriousness, and stance on issues.

This becomes the general cycle throughout your political career; Learn, Connect, Form your opinions, express your stance, Gain support, and move forward.

Good Luck!

invisible
02-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Personally, I am a firm believer that politics start locally. Running for Council 'could' indeed be helpful for future political aspirations. However, do NOT make that the focus. I am looking at running in the future but have set it out into a longer 5-7 year plan. I will post some of the things I intend to do during that time frame to help be successful.

Right away start to get familiar with the issues of that your city is dealing with. A good way to do so is start attending ALL of the various council, committee, and commission meeting that you can. See if the have the minutes/agendas from previous meeting available online, read them, study them, learn them, and start flushing your opinion on these. get connected with any local Facebook groups, as these can give a great insight to what the citizens in your city care about, and their opinions on local issues. Doing these things not only prepares you to address the issues but gets you connected and involved in the matters, showing this lets the people who will vote for you that your serious, and what you think of these things. Speak! take the time to address the council or meeting during the public statement portion of these meetings. Pick one of the topics you have a clear stance on, have found the public to be invested in, and can contribute new ideas, information or thoughts into the conversation. Remember even this early on the more connections you make, the more you can make later helping in your entire political career.

Once you have a good understanding of the issues then try and get appointed to one of the commissions or committees for the city. Depending on the way your government is set up these can be extremly varied in scope, length, and if they can make functionary decisions. Some of these could be set up to deal with a specific issue that may be short term. Others can be ongoing. Getting on, or, at least, being an active participant in these again shows your interest, seriousness, and stance on issues.

This becomes the general cycle throughout your political career; Learn, Connect, Form your opinions, express your stance, Gain support, and move forward.

Good Luck!

This is important, especially in the context of winning. However, one thing to keep in mind is that what is presented at the City Council (and committee) meetings may not be issues that the voting public is really interested in. In my experience, those who serve in city government tend to be petty dictator types and busybodies that want to tell someone else what they can and can't do with their property, and that is the agenda they push in one way or another. Attending meetings will certainly help, but to really see what the issues are that will help you win an election, you have to do two things: look around you and observe, and talk to other residents (ones that actually vote). What problems does your city face, that are not being solved? And how would you solve them differently than other candidates, in a way that preserves or maximizes freedom?

Generally, issues of major importance tend to be:
High crime, police either not paying enough attention to certain areas, or too much attention in the wrong ways.
Infrastructure in disrepair - potholes, streetlights, parks.
Poor schools (also falls under infrastructure).
Lack of parking in residential neighborhoods (usually as the result of some sort of regulation).
Tax increases, high property taxes, or residents not getting their money's worth from what they pay in property taxes (a good example of this is a property tax hike, while library hours are cut yet again and streetlights in your ward or district have been out since the last tax hike).

What pisses you off about living in your city? What pisses other people off about living there? How would you solve those problems? If you attend city government meetings of any type, you will see that the issues I mentioned are ones that most regular people are very concerned with, yet they are rarely being addressed, let alone addressed in ways that are actually effective.

ronpaulhawaii
02-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Geez guys, I posted this on reddit libertarian and I'm getting a whole lot of backlash saying that by me wanting to run for a government that makes me an authoritarian....

:toady:

Ron Paul? There's no way you can say he was not all about freedom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/477vqr/is_running_for_town_council_going_to_help_me_get/

What do you all think?

Don't let em get under your skin and get used to criticism, you'll face worse in politics. You'll, also, be faced with "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situations often enough. Just do what you think is best for your constituents, and your country

I'm more of a minarchist so appreciate people willing to suffer the slings and arrows...

Another reason for starting in small local races is the experience of running campaigns and building an organization. As long as you stay true to your principles and don't sell out, your organization (volunteer base, etc) will stay with you and grow as you seek higher offices

UtahApocalypse
02-23-2016, 08:52 PM
This is important, especially in the context of winning. However, one thing to keep in mind is that what is presented at the City Council (and committee) meetings may not be issues that the voting public is really interested in. In my experience, those who serve in city government tend to be petty dictator types and busybodies that want to tell someone else what they can and can't do with their property, and that is the agenda they push in one way or another. Attending meetings will certainly help, but to really see what the issues are that will help you win an election, you have to do two things: look around you and observe, and talk to other residents (ones that actually vote). What problems does your city face, that are not being solved? And how would you solve them differently than other candidates, in a way that preserves or maximizes freedom?

Generally, issues of major importance tend to be:
High crime, police either not paying enough attention to certain areas, or too much attention in the wrong ways.
Infrastructure in disrepair - potholes, streetlights, parks.
Poor schools (also falls under infrastructure).
Lack of parking in residential neighborhoods (usually as the result of some sort of regulation).
Tax increases, high property taxes, or residents not getting their money's worth from what they pay in property taxes (a good example of this is a property tax hike, while library hours are cut yet again and streetlights in your ward or district have been out since the last tax hike).

What pisses you off about living in your city? What pisses other people off about living there? How would you solve those problems? If you attend city government meetings of any type, you will see that the issues I mentioned are ones that most regular people are very concerned with, yet they are rarely being addressed, let alone addressed in ways that are actually effective.

Which is why finding localized Facebook groups is important as well. At least where I now live they are very active and have lots of open discussions on the issues locally. Everthing you said about issues in the city are right on the money.

Don't let em get under your skin and get used to criticism, you'll face worse in politics. You'll, also, be faced with "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situations often enough. Just do what you think is best for your constituents, and your country

I'm more of a minarchist so appreciate people willing to suffer the slings and arrows...

Another reason for starting in small local races is the experience of running campaigns and building an organization. As long as you stay true to your principles and don't sell out, your organization (volunteer base, etc) will stay with you and grow as you seek higher offices

Good to see you old friend :D

idiom
02-23-2016, 10:06 PM
You can get more done at the city level for liberty than at the national level.

Focus on the job at hand. Think more along the lines of > Mayor > Governor.

You don't have to advance though, just protect you and your neighbors from the government by running it.

P3ter_Griffin
02-23-2016, 10:11 PM
The truth is that I have never felt very strongly about local government because honestly I would support certain regulations if they were done at the state and or local levels. That said I would still be the most libertarian person on the city council lets just say that much.

My understanding on how regulations work is the individual is expected to comply with the most stringent regulations. So even if they did not have to worry about local regulators they would not be immune to regulation. Maybe a good starting point would be to get a list where your city regulations are most stringent compared to state and federal, and see how just you believe they are.

TheTexan
02-24-2016, 12:31 AM
Few tips
If you're gay become straight
If you're atheist become christian
If you're not christian become christian
If you don't have a wife get one, or people think you gay
Kids are a bonus. If you adopt a minority thats extra.
Being white helps but if not that's ok just try to act white
If you do drugs, stop
If you get drunk don't do it on video
If youve ever gotten felony for attacking someone with knife write a book on it now and run a few years later
Dont rock the boat with any fancy ideas keep it moderate
Say the same things your opponent does but with better smile

Ronin Truth
02-24-2016, 09:56 AM
If you're looking for guarantees, I'm sorry to tell you, it's just all a crap shoot.

Voluntarist
02-24-2016, 11:29 AM
xxxxx

Ronin Truth
02-24-2016, 03:40 PM
A town council position is most assuredly a gateway drug to the more serious drugs you're lusting for. It'll help you cultivate your sociopathology to the requisite levels required for higher office.

+Rep!