PDA

View Full Version : Blimp on front page of USA Today

Wayne Hammond
12-07-2007, 10:52 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2007/12/ron-paul-blimp.html

'Ron Paul Blimp' is more than an ad campaign; it's a test of finance laws

"If a whimsical publicity stunt goes as planned," The Politico writes, "a blimp hyping the long-shot Republican presidential campaign" of Rep. Ron Paul will launch next week.

But the plan to fly the blimp from North Carolina to New Hampshire, Politico says, is more than just a way for some of Paul's Libertarian Party fans to advertise their support for the candidate:

It also tests the reach of campaign finance rules by employing an innovative funding structure that could expose a new way to pour largely unregulated money into politics.

If the model is successful, hypothetically it could allow a media consultant to produce slick attack ads and -- without ever disclosing how much was raised or spent -- solicit millions from "sponsors" to air the ads in key states.

Politico explains that the organizers behind the blimp, who are not associated with the Paul campaign:

Have developed a detailed business plan carefully structured to avoid Byzantine campaign finance laws.

They shunned traditional mechanisms such as creating an independent non-profit group under section 527 of the IRS code -- like Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and the other groups that spent millions on ads in 2004 -- or a political action committee -- like EMILY's List. Instead, they went an almost unheard of route, establishing a for-profit company: Liberty Political Advertising.

The name is a nod to Paul's ideology and the website boasts the "legal arrangement offers the best of both worlds: no limits and virtually no regulations." In other words, very libertarian.

Instead of soliciting donations like a PAC or a campaign or a non-profit political group, Liberty says it's "selling political advertisements that you can sponsor."

Interestingly, Politico adds, " the outside lawyer retained by blimp backers is former Federal Election Commission chairman Brad Smith, who is advising former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s rival bid for the GOP nomination.

The Ron Paul Blimp website is here. Among the things there is a video that strikes us as one of the quirkier of the presidential campaign so far (though not as unique as Mike Gravel's "rock" video). Here's the new one:
Link to YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2JZJiKmA0I)

Link to Ron Paul Blimp website: www.RonPaulBlimp.com (http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/)

qwerty
12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Awesome!!!

:D

AlexMerced
12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Lol, our campaign lead in innovation, the power of a free market of ideas

jacmicwag
12-07-2007, 10:56 AM
It begins.....

RonPaulCult
12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
heh - LONG SHOT MY ARSE

sgrooms
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
they just HAVE to keep mentioning our attorney, and his support for Mitt Romney...

Shellshock1918
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Paul's Libertarian Party fans to advertise their support for the candidate:

A-holes.

Rex
12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Blimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pacelli
12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm not a member of the Libertarian Party. I am and always have been a registered Republican. I voted for Bush in both elections, and now support Ron Paul as the Republican party nominee. Therefore, that article is slightly inaccurate.

terlinguatx
12-07-2007, 11:05 AM

hawkeyenick
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
make them retract the libertarian party comment

tamor
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
It can now be seen that it takes expertise at all levels to accomplish such a feat. It is so important to support each other and inspire each other with our words and actions.

bolidew
12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Why do MSM have to use "long-shot" every time?! Damn it!!

Wayne Hammond
12-07-2007, 11:15 AM
make them retract the libertarian party comment

I think USA Today does make corrections to their stories from time to time, if you write to them.

The email address for USA Today ON Politics is onpolitics@usatoday.com

Just make sure when you write you THANK THEM for the article, be nice and politely offer the correction, and give them the link to the article you're referencing, which is:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2007/12/ron-paul-blimp.html

InTheoryTV
12-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Just checked Google News and the blimp story is on the front page there.

Wayne Hammond
12-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Just checked Google News and the blimp story is on the front page there.

Yep... it's referencing the ABC Story (which is also on the front page of http://abcnews.go.com/ )

Direct link to ABC story: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=3965657&page=1

Man, the press sure loves blimps and hot air. :)

tropicangela
12-07-2007, 11:35 AM
The ABC link is working for me from Google.

WTG everyone! This blimp is truly amazing.

Revolutn
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
The Blimp hasn't even taken off yet and ALREADY the campaign is receiving huge amounts of FREE publicity in the MSM just based on the the story that we're GOING to launch it.

So much for the project being a waste of money.

Rev

Heather in WI
12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Woo-hoo! Awesome! :-)

mport1
12-07-2007, 11:46 AM
All of these news articles need to be added to the website!

hard@work
12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
little money vs. big money.

slantedview
12-07-2007, 11:49 AM
front page baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeeeeeeah.

BTW: guys, don't worry about the longshot comment. that won't matter, in the end :)

aperetti
12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
"For all his recent buzz, Paul remains unknown to most Americans and his libertarian scruples, which set him apart in the Republican Party as the only GOP presidential hopeful against the Iraq War, also make him a stranger to Democrats, many of whom embrace his anti-war stance, but dislike his views on issues like abortion."

Why does ABC hire middle school children to write their articles?

Naraku
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
The mainstream media sympathizes with a blimp because they have a lot in common, they're both full of hot air.

manny
12-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Christ - whoever wrote that got the memo (and check?) from their military-industrial masters didn't they?

Call him a libertarian? Check
Mention Libertarian Party? Check
Call him a long shot? Check

They're really never going to give in. They've got their hands on millions of dollars so I suppose it's no surprise that they'll do anything and tell any lie to stop RP... but it still frustrates me. The day they write an article where they even mention that Rudy was backed in his bid for mayor of NYC by the Liberal Party or ask Mitt if he ever thinks about running third party/Democrat... then on that day I'll accept they aren't biased.

Liberty Star
12-07-2007, 12:13 PM
At first, I was bit skeptical of Blimp idea but I have to say it has already generated nice coverage for Ron Paul and could be a marvellous success. It should help boost Boston Tea Party money bomb on Dec 16 too.

Great job by all those who made it happen.

gilliganscorner
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Woooohoooooo!!!!!!

They got the 200K they needed!

The blimp will fly!!
Thank you for support everyone in reaching our first goal of $200,000 to get the blimp in the air!
We need to receive $350,000 in total sponsorships by December 21st to keep the blimp in the air!
Please sponsor the Ron Paul Blimp Tour now!

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/

Wayne Hammond
12-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Woooohoooooo!!!!!!

They got the 200K they needed!

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/

With all this press now and associated viral-ness, the Dec. 21st, $350,000 goal should be a whole lot easier.

cac1963
12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Testing the limits of campaign finance laws: I don't see this advertising company as being much different from the for-profit polling companies who are paid to conduct research to arrive at pre-determined outcomes.

And in fact, this grassroots liberty movement should also start its own polling company and conduct its own research. Why it hasn't yet is suddenly an interesting question.

Hook
12-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Christ - whoever wrote that got the memo (and check?) from their military-industrial masters didn't they?

Call him a libertarian? Check
Mention Libertarian Party? Check
Call him a long shot? Check

They're really never going to give in. They've got their hands on millions of dollars so I suppose it's no surprise that they'll do anything and tell any lie to stop RP... but it still frustrates me. The day they write an article where they even mention that Rudy was backed in his bid for mayor of NYC by the Liberal Party or ask Mitt if he ever thinks about running third party/Democrat... then on that day I'll accept they aren't biased.

They'll still be calling him a long-shot when he wins next November. :D

Drknows
12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
The video was awesome. I had my doubts but looks like its paying off after all.

rpfreedom08
12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
One thing I'm starting to see is that they are no longer getting "surprised" by anything we do witch means they must be watching very closely! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not as I like the surprise element of our campaign and I think it gives people enough time to decide for themselves if they like it or not rather than being force fed garbage from the media to discredit it or marginalize it.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Testing the limits of campaign finance laws: I don't see this advertising company as being much different from the for-profit polling companies who are paid to conduct research to arrive at pre-determined outcomes.

And in fact, this grassroots liberty movement should also start its own polling company and conduct its own research. Why it hasn't yet is suddenly an interesting question.

I was thinking about that in general, it would be great to run our own poll and post it as news.

Ron LOL
12-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Paultards seek blimp :D

troyd1
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
We are in the fight you stage. Next is the win stage. I like that the mainstream media is stilling taking the long shot chance. It is making us work harder.

Falseflagop
12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
They are watching and their INTERNAL are telling them that RON PAUL is running 1st or 2nd !! Are they afraid? Sh-t yeah !! If they wereb;t they would include him in those TV polls but they do not!

MSNBC other than Tucker TOTALLY ignores him (Olberman totally bought), Cafferty is the only one that is trying his best to puch RP w/o being clear about it!

If these so called candidates were so GREAT they would raise a whole lot more than RON PAUL in 1 day, but they cannot because they offer NOTHING!

RON PAUL is the only one NO BOUGHT and NOT CFR ! Always remember that one! This is the right horse and like the 1980 USA Hockey Team we will shock the world if no DIEBOLD MACHINES are used !! And we need to get him a security force not Secret Service, I do not trust Paulson!