PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Veterans of America thank Walter Jones

jct74
02-20-2016, 08:44 PM
VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA THANK JONES
Over the past three years, Jones has cosponsored more bills to help veterans than any member of Congress

Feb 19, 2016

Washington, D.C. – This week the Vietnam Veterans of America thanked Congressman Walter B. Jones (NC-3) for cosponsoring H.R. 1769 – the Toxic Exposure Research Act. The bill would support research on the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions faced by descendants of veterans who were exposed to toxins during their military service. These include Agent Orange in Vietnam, Gulf War neurotoxins, Iraq and Afghanistan chemical weapons and burn pits as well as other chemicals and toxins. It would establish a national center at a VA medical facility to study and treat the effects of toxic exposure, as well as declassify documents about incidents where service members were exposed to toxic substances since the 1960’s. Those who have been exposed to toxic substances often see the effects of that exposure in their children and grandchildren, usually through birth defects or higher rates of cancer than the general population.

“The government owes veterans the truth about the toxins they might have been exposed to, and what effect that exposure might have on their children and grandchildren,” said Congressman Jones. “It’s our duty to care for those have served our great nation by putting their lives on the line. I am honored to do all I can to help those who’ve worn the uniform.”

In a letter to Congressman Jones sent this week, National President of Vietnam Veterans of America, John Rowan said: “On behalf of our National Board of Directors, our membership and their families, I would like to thank you for cosponsoring H.R. 1769.”

Last Congress, Congressman Jones cosponsored a career record 86 bills to help veterans by providing better access to more transparent healthcare, access to educational opportunities, affordable housing, and job opportunities. In fact, over the past three years, Congressman Jones has cosponsored more bills to help veterans than any member of Congress.

http://jones.house.gov/press-release/vietnam-veterans-america-thank-jones