PDA

View Full Version : EPA Rule To Ban Car Modification

DamianTV
02-12-2016, 05:07 PM
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/48/4894.asp

EPA and NHTSA complete work on a regulation banning sale of go-fast engine parts for automobiles.

The Obama administration is looking to close down the automotive aftermarket. Tucked deep within a proposed rulemaking governing diesel truck engines, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) introduced language that would prohibit any changes to an automobile's engine or exhaust after it leaves the factory. The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) raised the alarm Monday after discovering the hidden provision.

"Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines," the proposed regulation states. "Anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of this section and 42 USC 7522(a)(3)."

Full article on link.

fedupinmo
02-12-2016, 05:12 PM
I guess you don't own it any more... next comes the EULA!

presence
02-12-2016, 05:23 PM
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/Defenderofmen/stalin-propaganda.jpg

DamianTV
02-12-2016, 05:36 PM
I guess you don't own it any more... next comes the EULA!

Probably. Same way as you "dont own" your iPhone or PlayStation or a DVD or are even allowed to take pictures of furniture because it infringes on the copyright of the furniture. Lot of it has to do with software. Im sure at some point, people will no longer be allowed to take pictures of their car either.

Another important point you bring up that isnt focused upon very much is the difference between Civil Law and Contract Law. I think that many judges and lawmakers would believe that Constitutional Rights can be subverted by application of contract. Something like "by eating this airplane peanut, you hereby and forthwith agree to surrender all rights, constitutional and any other form of rights otherwise recognized, to the creator of this peanut bla bla bla". There are some slightly entertaining EULAs out there on some websites, such as "by using this site, you agree to give us ownership of your eternal soul". The authors intended their Privacy Policies to be both a bit of entertainment and as a warning that people do not pay any attention to the EULAs of every website out there.

Problem with the proposed law is that you "will not be allowed" to let anyone other than "authorized mechanics" to work on your vehicle. This will absolutely crush the ability of ordinary people to do any form of maintenance on your ride. But it goes deeper. If you cant work on your own car, you cant learn how it works or how to fix it. This also creates another need for "authorized education". The problem is the "authorization". This "authorization" is nothing more than the conversion of Rights into Privileges. You do not have permission to learn without permission. You do not have permission to teach without permission. You do not have permission to do anything without permission. The next major part, as mentioned, is the EULA, where the Contract gives a private institution more control over an individual than a country. The entire concept of "beyond the scope of authority" is completely ignored by most courts, regardless of how egregious the demands in the contract are.

If you really wanna see how screwed up the concept of private property has become, look up "allodial title".

CPUd
02-12-2016, 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZD-ADArwXo

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Won't be long now before people are walking down shady back alleys on the wrong side of the tracks to buy a K&N Air Filter and a set of Bosch spark plugs, and the average Republican starts blaming the victims for getting shot. "Well if you weren't off buying illegal car parts ya wouldn'a got yersef shot ya heah?"

DamianTV
02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
The constant infringements on independence are incremental but cumulative.

When Freedom is outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

(Replace "freedom" with anything, and you will begin to see the scale of incrementalization.)

Uriel999
02-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Won't be long now before people are walking down shady back alleys on the wrong side of the tracks to buy a K&N Air Filter and a set of Bosch spark plugs, and the average Republican starts blaming the victims for getting shot. "Well if you weren't off buying illegal car parts ya wouldn'a got yersef shot ya heah?"

Bro...I'm usually lock step in agreement with you...but not this one. Never EVER EVER FUCK with a rednecks right to keep and bear highly modified gas guzzling vehicles that are fast, loud and 'Merican!

If Boobus finds out about this...we actually might see bloodshed from the newly formed NASCAR Militia.

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2016, 06:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fZhFjfL.jpg

DamianTV
02-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Lets see what other obvious outcomes we can come up with:

Making anything illegal only creates a Black Market for it.

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Bro...I'm usually lock step in agreement with you...but not this one. Never EVER EVER FUCK with a rednecks right to keep and bear highly modified gas guzzling vehicles that are fast, loud and 'Merican!

If Boobus finds out about this...we actually might see bloodshed from the newly formed NASCAR Militia.

I wish I could agree with this, but I have lost any shred of hope that Boobus will stand for any reason whatever.

CaptUSA
02-12-2016, 06:39 PM
The constant infringements on independence are incremental but cumulative.

When Freedom is outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

(Replace "freedom" with anything, and you will begin to see the scale of incrementalization.)

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/290898480/proud_to_be_outlaw_bumper_bumper_sticker.jpg?heigh t=225&width=225

DamianTV
02-12-2016, 06:42 PM
I wish I could agree with this, but I have lost any shred of hope that Boobus will stand for any reason whatever.

Cut off their Welfare or Food Stamps or whatever form of Govt Subsidies they collect upon and there will be violence in the streets by tomorrow morning. Sad thing is that although that is exactly what will cause the people to revolt, it will not offer any real solutions to the plague of problems that we are enduring today.

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 06:42 PM
I am afraid so....
Unless there's a techno miracle, I fear we are living on the pre apocalyptic precipice.
The last vestiges of the republic.

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=DamianTV;6131979]The constant infringements on independence are incremental but cumulative.

We used to call that strategy "death by a thousand cuts" in my day.

Isaac Bickerstaff
02-12-2016, 07:30 PM
I think the EPA should limit the amount of rare earth minerals a person can own. Say, 2 pounds of neodymium and maybe 15 pounds of lanthanum.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009-09/your-prius-hogging-all-rare-metals

Anti Federalist
02-12-2016, 07:40 PM

Boobus won't do shit.

Boobus is fine with all of this.

Boobus sits in an open air prison with scowling guards hut hutting all about, and sings about how free he is.

Anti Federalist
02-12-2016, 07:47 PM
By His Royal Decree, it shall be so.

pcosmar
02-12-2016, 07:48 PM
They would hate the car I am contemplating.

Parts already at hand.

DamianTV
02-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I think the EPA should limit the amount of rare earth minerals a person can own. Say, 2 pounds of neodymium and maybe 15 pounds of lanthanum.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009-09/your-prius-hogging-all-rare-metals

Did you know that "rare earth elements" are NOT that rare? What makes them rare is the difficulty in identifying the elements. When you look at a periodic table, what happens is that chemically those rare earth elements are so remarkably similar to the elements that are either right above or below them, the chemical similarity makes distinguishing rare earth from "more common" elements difficult.

Now, with that all having been said, are you serious or are you being sarcastic about surrendering even more authority to a Govt Alphabet Soup Agency that gets to dictate how a person lives their life? Say a person has 3 pounds of neodymium, as opposed to your proposed 2 pounds, who is the victim?

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Boobus won't do shit.

Boobus is fine with all of this.

Boobus sits in an open air prison with scowling guards hut hutting all about, and sings about how free he is.
Boobus might be stocking up on custom engine accessories. Maybe Boobus realizes that there isn't anything he can do to alter the the tide anyway, especially now that Rand has thrown in the towel.

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Boobus might be stocking up on custom engine accessories. Maybe Boobus realizes that there isn't anything he can do to alter the the tide anyway, especially now that Rand has thrown in the towel.
The Japanese can tell you what can happen when you underestimate Boobus.

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 08:12 PM
The ones that survived that is.

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 08:13 PM
But go on poking the bear...

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Cut off their Welfare or Food Stamps or whatever form of Govt Subsidies they collect upon and there will be violence in the streets by tomorrow morning. Sad thing is that although that is exactly what will cause the people to revolt, it will not offer any real solutions to the plague of problems that we are enduring today.

I agree, but it will never happen because TPTB know this as well as we do.

JK/SEA
02-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Got this link off the BOSS 302 REGISTRY forum. I was a board member here years ago.

for what its worth. Please sign.

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016FED1&g=SEMAGA&utm_source=ET&utm_medium=email&utm_content=50756237&utm_campaign=LegAlert

already over 130k...

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Got this link off the BOSS 302 REGISTRY forum. I was a board member here years ago.

for what its worth. Please sign.

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016FED1&g=SEMAGA&utm_source=ET&utm_medium=email&utm_content=50756237&utm_campaign=LegAlert

already over 130k...

They were looking for 100k signatures in 30 days. They broke that number in 2. :D

euphemia
02-12-2016, 08:50 PM
It won't be long before we are all riding unicycles.

Isaac Bickerstaff
02-12-2016, 08:58 PM
@DamianTV
Did you follow the link? My "proposed" rule would ban Prius'. I thought my sarcasm would be self evident this time. Sorry.

navy-vet
02-12-2016, 08:58 PM
You mean on public transit, in the ghettos.

angelatc
02-12-2016, 09:48 PM

It's already illegal to take off the catalytic converters, isn't it?

JK/SEA
02-12-2016, 09:59 PM

in 1970, muscle cars were mandated to have 'smog pumps' on them. It was a 10k fine for removing them. Most guys the first thing they did was to remove them and put headers on.

P3ter_Griffin
02-12-2016, 10:10 PM
This is coming about at the same time as the ability for police to remotely control your vehicle.. I bet there is some interrelatedness.

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2016, 10:25 PM

One quite popular mod is a high flow cat.

Weston White
02-12-2016, 10:50 PM
"Anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of this section and 42 USC 7522(a)(3)."

This is the same tactic Congress used concerning Gun Free Zones and imposing general firearm mandates upon the consumer, neither instance having any bearing upon interstate commerce, but only controlling the ownership of intrastate personal property. These are unconstitutional acts. As Congress become more tyrannical, their corrupt actions become more and more apparent.

ZENemy
02-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Death by 1000 cuts and we don't even attempt to dodge each slice.

Weston White
02-12-2016, 11:23 PM

...While carrying a box of...

pcosmar
02-12-2016, 11:28 PM

officially..

in most places.

It is done by most "reputable" shops if you know folks.

Outside of EPA Inspection centers it is widely done and in those areas Presto-chango is practiced.

cats are worth $$$. bout worthless for what they are designed for.

pcosmar
02-12-2016, 11:35 PM
officially..

<snip>

cats are worth $$$. bout worthless for what they are designed for.

hm,

you know,,sometimes I hate being honest.
a dishonest man can make a lot more money.

if you like that sort of thing.

The Gold Standard
02-13-2016, 12:39 AM

Boobus does what he is told by his master and nothing more.

Including kill millions of people.

Origanalist
02-13-2016, 12:42 AM
Death by 1000 cuts and we don't even attempt to dodge from each slice.

I spend a considerable amount of time dodging, every day.

Anti Federalist
02-13-2016, 08:09 AM

Yes, to tamper with anything that affects emissions, which in a modern computer car, is everything.

This is concerning engines modified for off road use.

Isaac Bickerstaff
02-13-2016, 10:00 AM
All of that emissions bs might work as intended straight off the factory floor, but probably within the first 10,000 miles--definitely the first 50,000--the reduced efficiency, malfunctions, sensors and adjustment apparati working against each other, etc., will pollute more than a straight up carburated V8 with zero emissions control.

Hell, my '97 Chev 2500 with a third of a million miles on it and 16mpg downhill with a tailwind on a good day is hands down more environmentally friendly than anything being manufactured today when you look at the big picture.

DamianTV
02-14-2016, 09:17 AM
...While carrying a box of...

One question, where are we going and what is this Handbasket for?