PDA

View Full Version : What about a draft?

ChooseLiberty
06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not a political strategist, but it occurred to me that it would be easy to do some negative campaigning against the other Repub candidates by associating them with the eventual reactivation of the military draft.

The rational consequence of the pro-war policies of all the front runners is running out of military personnel to implement their platforms. They would be more likely to start drafting people.

Has anyone considered throwing that factoid into the Primary dialog?

romelll
06-29-2007, 03:29 PM
It would behove folks to equate a draft for what it really is
Slavery.
Why do I say that? Well, it is involuntary servitude. Not the principals of a free republic.

Also, it is very hard to rule the world with a voluntary armed forces rather a conscript army. People that want to serve more power to them, but a draft gives to much free reign for government to send our kids in harms way.

I have also heard an idea of required service to either military, charitable organizations, Peace corps, etc. I still would put forth it is none of the Federal Governments business how I choose to pursue happiness. If I choose to help out fine. If not, fine as well

MsDoodahs
06-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm not a political strategist, but it occurred to me that it would be easy to do some negative campaigning against the other Repub candidates by associating them with the eventual reactivation of the military draft.

The rational consequence of the pro-war policies of all the front runners is running out of military personnel to implement their platforms. They would be more likely to start drafting people.

Has anyone considered throwing that factoid into the Primary dialog?

Considered it? I'm already DOING it. :)

There was something on early this morning (sorry don't recall which channel) on the horrible state of our military. The person interviewed actually said that the Iraq war is going to be the END of the National Guard, and that the Army is the most devastated of all branches.

Unless RP wins, you can expect more of the planetwide US miladventures, and we all know that means only one thing: the DRAFT.

This time, it will be men AND WOMEN.

Thank you ever so much Gloria et al you stupid ^%$#%^& morons. :rolleyes:

beermotor
06-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Some of the Dems have already even mentioned it as a way to equalize class warfare, or some such. The rest of them I'm sure would back it wholeheartedly. Except Kucinich/Gravel.

kalami
06-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Some of the Dems have already even mentioned it as a way to equalize class warfare, or some such. The rest of them I'm sure would back it wholeheartedly. Except Kucinich/Gravel.

I thought that was just a political maneuver to bring the troops back from Iraq.

ChooseLiberty
06-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I think it would be very effective for Dr. Paul to slide the word "draft" into some of his responses to the other GOP candidates in the next debate.

Just sort of off the cuff. "Well, Mr. Ghouliani, McCain, Romney, Thompson, how do you propose to protect us from the terrists? Another draft?" Check and mate.

lucky
06-29-2007, 06:32 PM
The Democrats were talking a draft years ago. The Republicans have been steadfast against a draft. Not exactly sure how bringing up a draft into the Republican primaries would help. It might help in the general election and I remember George Bush and the Republicans used it against the Dems

wwycher
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
They don't want us in their army. The DOD wants immigrants in their army. They poured millions into lobbying for that immigration bill so they could recruit all the immigrants and give them citizenship for serving. If remember right, the Romans did this. They know a draft would go over like a terd in a punch bowl with us. No. they don't want us. If they did reinstate the draft, I would go to Canada and join the groups that don't want the NAU either.

constituent14
06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Also, one can learn a lot about strategies for twisting these issues from Machiavelli... sadly history's second biggest victim of false interpretations.

Read what he says about using mercenary armies... read what he says about conscription... lots and lots of stuff to work with.

Bluedevil
06-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Thats a great idea. If Ron Paul would sign a pledge to not reinstitute a draft (Im sure he would) and challenge other candidates to do the same (most of them wouldnt)

braeden0613
06-29-2007, 08:43 PM
At this point, supporting the draft is political suicide. Hopefully it will stay that way and never be reinstated. If it ever is, look for the Canadian population to double.