PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's opponent will spend MILLIONS to smear him all over Kentucky

Warlord
02-04-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm no Matt Collins but Jim Gray is a wealthy businessman and will likely spend millions smearing Rand Paul all over Kentucky! The question is will Kentuckians fall for it

65fastback2+2
02-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Just look at the governor's race...they are coming around up there!

Warlord
02-04-2016, 12:54 PM
yeah there's no way Gray will beat Rand. The question i how much of his family's fortune will he waste

CPUd
02-04-2016, 12:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/M5uFrJq.jpg

presence
02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Jim Gray is CEO of Gray Engineering

https://www.gray.com/about-gray/rankings

hells_unicorn
02-04-2016, 01:28 PM
If I was Rand, I would have proxy groups with no official connection to him set up specifically to keep all rural and small town Kentuckian apprised of Mr. Gray's "lifestyle" and also have them float questions about how hostile Gray's policies have been towards Christians living in his sphere of power. Some here may consider this cynical, but this alone would probably nullify any outside help that Gray gets from the DNC.

mit26chell
02-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Just looking at his businesses' website I get the feeling he gets major government subsidy / contracts.

Umad
02-04-2016, 03:41 PM
I would have Sarah Palin come campaign in rural areas and invite a guy like Kaisch in the Northern parts. Point out how Mr. Gray wants to destroy Knetucky coal with Obama like policies and there you have a 30% victory.

PaleoPaul
02-04-2016, 04:30 PM
If I was Rand, I would have proxy groups with no official connection to him set up specifically to keep all rural and small town Kentuckian apprised of Mr. Gray's "lifestyle" and also have them float questions about how hostile Gray's policies have been towards Christians living in his sphere of power. Some here may consider this cynical, but this alone would probably nullify any outside help that Gray gets from the DNC.
Rand's not the type of guy to delve into dog whistle politics.

presence
02-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Just looking at his businesses' website I get the feeling he gets major government subsidy / contracts.

Not really, they mostly do warehouses, malls, manufacturing plants, hotels, etc. They create industrial space for fortune 500 companies.

PCKY
02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
I just read and article from local media that Rand has two primary opponents! Where did they come from?

CPUd
02-04-2016, 05:33 PM
They are the perennial-type candidates that most every statewide and federal election has.

erowe1
02-04-2016, 05:35 PM
The question i how much of his family's fortune will he waste

Hopefully all of it.

CPUd
02-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Not to worry, Christie has just endorsed Rand for Senate. He will help Rand keep KY safe from the marijuanas:
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/02/christie_id_be_happy_to_campaign_for_paul_in_kentu .html

PCKY
02-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Jim Gray is CEO of Gray Engineering

https://www.gray.com/about-gray/rankings
He is the openly gay mayor of Lexington, Ky. There's no way he gets elected outside of Fayette County.

libertyplz
02-04-2016, 09:16 PM
I'm no Matt Collins but Jim Gray is a wealthy businessman and will likely spend millions smearing Rand Paul all over Kentucky! The question is will Kentuckians fall for it

More like Jim Gay, am I right?

sorry, immature sense of humor, and you know... him being gay and all :p

PCKY
02-04-2016, 09:26 PM
There is a sensitivity to Rand's aspirations for the presidency taking precedent over his devotion to Kentucky. But to Rand's credit, until he declared for the Presidency, he did meet and greets all over the state on every break, except when he went to Guatamala and Hati. In 30 years of Mitch, I only ever saw him at Vterens Day parade...once. Also, Rand opened a GOP office in the west end of Louisville, which hasn't seen a Republican since Coolidege. He does mobile office hours in the West end as well. So the majority of the state knows him, and the Democrats (who think a lot more like Republicans) like him.

r3volution 3.0
02-04-2016, 09:36 PM
More like Jim Gay, am I right?

sorry, immature sense of humor, and you know... him being gay and all :p

Put that on a sign, spread it around KY, that alone will insure that Rand wins by 15% instead of 10%.

hells_unicorn
02-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Rand's not the type of guy to delve into dog whistle politics.

Indeed he's not, which is why I stated having "proxy groups" do this, and also the whole "If I would do if I was Rand". It's all hypothetical, and truth be told, as someone who lives in rural Pennsylvania, I get an earful about how ***** people need to be constantly in the media and in everyone's faces and have good enough sense to be sick of it. But I'm sure I'm in the minority on this forum regarding that stuff.

Spikender
02-05-2016, 02:17 AM
Not to worry, Christie has just endorsed Rand for Senate. He will help Rand keep KY safe from the marijuanas:
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/02/christie_id_be_happy_to_campaign_for_paul_in_kentu .html

You know as much as I bash Christie for being a Statist Thug, it's nice to see some respect and humbleness come from his jowls every once in a while.

jkob
02-05-2016, 07:55 AM
I don't think you need to attack the guy's sexuality, if it's not a secret then people will talk on their own.

It is interesting the words Christie had for Rand, maybe being a team player in the Senate can pay off. These guys really owe it to Rand for the type of campaign he ran, not a scorched earth one like Cruz and Trump. Of course everybody is going to be nice now that they want to attract Rand's supporters and keep them from bailing to Bernie/third party.

Rand can make a lot of difference in the Senate, hopefully we can send a couple more doctors for him to be buddies with in Dr Kelli Ward and Dr Greg Brannon. Retiring McCain will make this presidential campaign hurt way less.

PCKY
02-05-2016, 10:26 AM
I don't think you need to attack the guy's sexuality, if it's not a secret then people will talk on their own.

It is interesting the words Christie had for Rand, maybe being a team player in the Senate can pay off. These guys really owe it to Rand for the type of campaign he ran, not a scorched earth one like Cruz and Trump. Of course everybody is going to be nice now that they want to attract Rand's supporters and keep them from bailing to Bernie/third party.

Rand can make a lot of difference in the Senate, hopefully we can send a couple more doctors for him to be buddies with in Dr Kelli Ward and Dr Greg Brannon. Retiring McCain will make this presidential campaign hurt way less.
It's not really an attack on his sexuality. Rural Kentuckians don't care for the lifestyle and the city of Lexington has been pretty hard on Christian businesses that opted out of doing business with them based upon religious violations. He would likely get the same kind of support that Conway got.

Mr.NoSmile
02-05-2016, 11:42 AM

I mean, wouldn't be much of an election if it wasn't a battle, so that's pretty much a given.

02-05-2016, 11:48 AM
I have nothing against gays, this is just stating facts. There is zero chance a gay democrat wins a statewide election in KY. It's no different than here in Maine, there was no chance Michaud who is gay would beat Lepage. Gays lose the conservative democrat vote that exists in rural areas. Conservative democrats will cross over and vote for the Republican instead of the gay.

Tywysog Cymru
02-05-2016, 12:15 PM

The DNC probably knows that Gray is a lost cause. They'll throw some money his way but put most of their resources into states they can win. It's the Kentucky Democratic Party that still think that the state is competitive. They will throw millions of dollars into his campaign. Democrats from Louisville and Lexington are very delusional.

PaleoPaul
02-05-2016, 12:22 PM
The DNC probably knows that Gray is a lost cause. They'll throw some money his way but put most of their resources into states they can win. It's the Kentucky Democratic Party that still think that the state is competitive. They will throw millions of dollars into his campaign. Democrats from Louisville and Lexington are very delusional.
The DNC is going to spend their time focusing on defeating Pat McCrory and Mike Pence in the gubernatorial races this year. McCrory has been the focus of a lot of the "Moral Mondays" protests in NC, and Mike Pence is a pariah after signing RFRA last year. The left hates him for signing any sort of RFRA at all, and the right now hates him because he signed the RFRA "fix" a week after signing the original bill.

PaleoPaul
02-05-2016, 12:23 PM
I have nothing against gays, this is just stating facts. There is zero chance a gay democrat wins a statewide election in KY. It's no different than here in Maine, there was no chance Michaud who is gay would beat Lepage. Gays lose the conservative democrat vote that exists in rural areas. Conservative democrats will cross over and vote for the Republican instead of the gay.
Didn't 53% of Maine vote for Question 1 three years ago?

PCKY
02-05-2016, 12:35 PM
In Ky they stayed home rather than vote for Conway.

Tywysog Cymru
02-05-2016, 12:58 PM
The DNC is going to spend their time focusing on defeating Pat McCrory and Mike Pence in the gubernatorial races this year. McCrory has been the focus of a lot of the "Moral Mondays" protests in NC, and Mike Pence is a pariah after signing RFRA last year. The left hates him for signing any sort of RFRA at all, and the right now hates him because he signed the RFRA "fix" a week after signing the original bill.

That's a lot more likely. Indiana is much more favorable to the Democrats than Kentucky, though it's still a conservative state.

02-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Didn't 53% of Maine vote for Question 1 three years ago?

Yes, in general people here have the attitude of do what you want if it doesn't effect me. So a lot of people could care less if gays get married but don't want one representing them or in a position of power.

Personally I would have had no problem with a gay governor, but voted for LePage.