PDA

View Full Version : Opposition to the Second Amendment is nearly always rooted in White Privelege

idiom
02-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Opposition to the Second amendment and carrying weapons is pure White Privilege.

I live in a country where, although I am trained with firearms and a decent shot, I don't own or need weapons in my life. I get to live a free and peaceful life without having to fight for it or defend it.

I know that as misguided as America's foreign policies and Federal Reserve are, the American people carry the water for global human rights and freedoms. It was the British for the longest time, but now it the United States.

If an honest to God real strongman came to power in the US and started putting Mexicans in rail cars, suppressed free speech, and generally started shutting down the free world I know there is **** all my country or Europe could do about it.

The firewall against the globe going to **** is the American peoples possession of firearms.

Thinking that you could walk around free without Americans being armed tot he teeth is true white privilege. People who have grown up under the umbrella of that safety and don't know history or why life is really like in non-western countries. People who don't really know that a militia driving into town and raping everyone in sight is a real thing that happens in this day and age. They thing******is when a guy on the street looks at you for too long.

Next time someone tells you they oppose the 2A or open or concealed carry, tell them to check their privilege.

nobody's_hero
02-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Idiom, I'm an American, and let me just say that guns won't do anything to defend freedom if the person holding the gun doesn't know he's a slave. Knowledge is the key. There are people around the world who lack the means (firearms) to fight for liberty but would put Americans to shame by measure of commitment and tenacity. Those people are the sort who need (and deserve!) a right to keep and bear arms. Those are the people who are keeping the world free (or at least keeping the torches lit as brightly as possible until someone shows up with the wagon full of pitchforks.)

We're giving too much credit for defending liberty here in the States to the 2nd amendment, and I say that as a gun owner. A gun that mostly just sits in your display case at home and comes out whenever you want to show your friends your coolest firearm doesn't do any good if you show up to vote for the same people over and over who want to eat away at all the rest of your freedoms. That's exactly the situation we have here in the U.S.

"Take away my right to speak freely, but please don't take my guns."
"Take away my right to due process, but please don't take my guns."
"Take away my right to ____________, but please don't take my guns."

This is how republicans have been voting for ages, and one day we're going to realize that we have lost all of our freedoms except our firearms, and when the time comes, we'll give those up too, because hell, we never used the 2nd Amendment to defend anything before, why would we use the 2nd amendment to defend the 2nd Amendment?

The vast majority of American gun owners are very much like the frog in boiling water. These frogs haven't done a damned thing to keep you—or anyone else in the world, including themselves—free. Don't give them credit they don't deserve.

(I'm talking about the vast majority of gun owners, not the ones here on RPF. So please don't interpret my post as being anti-gun. Y'all know there's some truth to what I'm saying.)

idiom
02-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Idiom, I'm an American, and let me just say that guns won't do anything to defend freedom if the person holding the gun doesn't know he's a slave. Knowledge is the key. There are people around the world who lack the means (firearms) to fight for liberty but would put Americans to shame by measure of commitment and tenacity. Those people are the sort who need (and deserve!) a right to keep and bear arms. Those are the people who are keeping the world free (or at least keeping the torches lit as brightly as possible until someone shows up with the wagon full of pitchforks.)

We're giving too much credit for defending liberty here in the States to the 2nd amendment, and I say that as a gun owner. A gun that mostly just sits in your display case at home and comes out whenever you want to show your friends your coolest firearm doesn't do any good if you show up to vote for the same people over and over who want to eat away at all the rest of your freedoms. That's exactly the situation we have here in the U.S.

"Take away my right to speak freely, but please don't take my guns."
"Take away my right to due process, but please don't take my guns."
"Take away my right to ____________, but please don't take my guns."

This is how republicans have been voting for ages, and one day we're going to realize that we have lost all of our freedoms except our firearms, and when the time comes, we'll give those up too, because hell, we never used the 2nd Amendment to defend anything before, why would we use the 2nd amendment to defend the 2nd Amendment?

The vast majority of American gun owners are very much like the frog in boiling water. These frogs haven't done a damned thing to keep you free. Don't give them credit they don't deserve.

(I'm talking about the vast majority of gun owners, not the ones here on RPF. So please don't interpret my post as being anti-gun. Y'all know there's some truth to what I'm saying.)

The Frog boiling is why I put in effort here.

nobody's_hero
02-04-2016, 01:46 PM
The Frog boiling is why I put in effort here.

And your efforts are very much appreciated. It still amazes me to this day that Ron Paul had such worldwide appeal, and yet it was sad, at the same time, to think that the candidate who had the most potential to restore America's image across the globe as a peaceful giant was cast aside in favor of arrogant interventionists and warmongers.