PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul ran for president and realized he's a Senator

sam1952
02-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Rand Paul ran for president and realized he’s a senator

Jon Ward
Senior Political Correspondent
February 3, 2016

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., surrounded by his family at a caucus night rally at the Scottish Rite Consistory in Des Moines, Iowa, Monday, Feb. 1, 2016. (Photo: Nati Harnik/AP)

Rand Paul, the U.S. senator from Kentucky who was once a legitimate contender for the Republican presidential nomination, dropped out of the race Wednesday, two days after a lackluster showing in the Iowa caucuses.

“It’s been an incredible honor to run a principled campaign for the White House,” Paul said in a statement announcing the end of his bid. “Today I will end where I began, ready and willing to fight for the cause of Liberty.”

Paul, a 53-year-old ophthalmologist who had never run for office before his election to the Senate in 2010, risked losing his Senate seat if he tarried too long in the presidential race. He will now turn his attention to winning reelection in Kentucky, where the Democratic mayor of Lexington announced last week he will run against Paul.

Paul, the son of libertarian former U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, who ran quixotic but ultimately impactful campaigns for president in 2008 and 2012, rose to national prominence in the spring of 2013 after he spoke on the Senate floor for almost 13 hours to protest President Obama’s use of drones to target American citizens overseas.

Paul showed considerable creativity in seizing on issues related to civil liberties and foreign policy that cut across partisan lines, raising the prospect that he could build on his father’s constituency in Iowa and elsewhere, bringing in more younger voters as well as mainstream Republicans who saw him as more electable than his father.

Paul also made a point of visiting historically black universities and talked often about the need for the Republican Party to welcome minorities and to expand their party.

But Paul was beset by a number of troubles. His relationship with the Ron Paul libertarian crowd was hurt by his endorsement of Republican nominee Mitt Romney in 2012 and further deteriorated as Rand tacked to the center on foreign policy.

At the same time, Paul’s noninterventionist foreign policy, which had seemed current in 2013, grew out of step with the times as the rise of the so-called Islamic State and a spate of terrorist attacks around the world and in the U.S. raised the nation’s anxiety level about national security and pushed civil liberties concerns off the front burner.

And Paul was also not well cut out for the rigors of a presidential campaign. He was a lackadaisical campaigner who — from the early days — failed to impress donors and Republican Party influencers. His decision to wear blue jeans to a Koch brothers event early this year was innocuous in and of itself, but it came to be seen as a sign of something larger, an arrogance and indifference on Paul’s part that indicated a lack of hunger for the presidency and offended the party’s elites.

Paul, in fact, hated to ask for money. His campaign aides and advisers worked on him to improve, and he did. He also improved in the last few debates.

But over the course of the past year, it became ever more clear that if Paul wanted a place of influence in national politics, he was a better fit for the Senate, where there is more space for the debating and hashing out of ideas, and where he can over the long haul craft legislation to address issues of his concern.

Kentucky Republicans are confident that as long as Paul is fully focused on his reelection, he can hold his seat. The senior senator from Kentucky, after all, is Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and there’s no doubt he was in constant communication with Paul about the need to retain the GOP majority in the Senate.

“I look forward to earning the privilege to represent the people of Kentucky for another term,” Paul said.

#campaign-2016#rand-paul

View Comments (495)

From Yahoo ... Douche

Chester Copperpot
02-03-2016, 09:58 AM
oh look.. this time they managed to get Rand's name just right instead of saying John Kasich... isnt that special?

65fastback2+2
02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
its not unrealistic or hateful to realize his personality and such that he is a much better fit in the senate.

I just wish it was for a more powerful and prestigious state, like Texas.

timreichstein
02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
I actually had a similar conversation with my wife today. We are both saddened that we have no viable candidate to vote for, but I told her that I was happy for Rand. I don't know him personally, but I don't think he was enjoying himself like Ron did. Just watching the debates, Ron was comfortable dropping truth bombs, Rand, not as much. I love both, and am happy that we have a great Senator that has one of the strongest "counter" voices in politics.

sam1952
02-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Although there is truth in the article I found the heading and tone demeaning.

brandon
02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
its not unrealistic or hateful to realize his personality and such that he is a much better fit in the senate.

I just wish it was for a more powerful and prestigious state, like Texas.

Whoa . I feel like you have cursed me out in the past for saying that he's a better fit in the senate.

ds21089
02-03-2016, 11:50 AM
No media attention while running. All the media attention in the world when he suspends campaign. :mad:

ds21089
02-03-2016, 11:52 AM
I actually had a similar conversation with my wife today. We are both saddened that we have no viable candidate to vote for, but I told her that I was happy for Rand. I don't know him personally, but I don't think he was enjoying himself like Ron did. Just watching the debates, Ron was comfortable dropping truth bombs, Rand, not as much. I love both, and am happy that we have a great Senator that has one of the strongest "counter" voices in politics.

Rand has mentioned how he had a fear of public speaking and how he has worked to overcome it. Perhaps there's still remnants of it left.

Indy Vidual
02-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Oh No 2020?

PCKY
02-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Rand has mentioned how he had a fear of public speaking and how he has worked to overcome it. Perhaps there's still remnants of it left.
I wonder if his advisors caused all of that angst? Perhaps Rand didn't feel right about the watered down version and really wanted to drop truth bombs, but his advisors told him that he had no chance as Ron Paul 2.0. To me that makes his reluctance more endearing, not less.

timreichstein
02-03-2016, 12:18 PM
I wonder if his advisors caused all of that angst? Perhaps Rand didn't feel right about the watered down version and really wanted to drop truth bombs, but his advisors told him that he had no chance as Ron Paul 2.0. To me that makes his reluctance more endearing, not less.

I can def see that. He wants to tell the truth, but has been advised against it. This makes him seem less genuine to the voters that don't know him.

Mr.NoSmile
02-03-2016, 12:22 PM
No media attention while running. All the media attention in the world when he suspends campaign. :mad:

He got attention when he announced, when he didn't qualify for the Fox debate, when he corrected Trump, calling out Cruz, going head to head with Christie. You may mean not enough attention with Trump here, but he got focus.

65fastback2+2
02-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Whoa . I feel like you have cursed me out in the past for saying that he's a better fit in the senate.

Probably 2 different conversations.

Rand and his belief in liberty and his firm stand on the issues and knowledge...is a better fit for President than anyone running.

Rand as a person and doctor and his character and who he is....is a better fit in the senate.

Joeinmo
02-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Rand Paul ran for president and realized he’s a senator

Jon Ward
Senior Political Correspondent
February 3, 2016

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., surrounded by his family at a caucus night rally at the Scottish Rite Consistory in Des Moines, Iowa, Monday, Feb. 1, 2016. (Photo: Nati Harnik/AP)

Rand Paul, the U.S. senator from Kentucky who was once a legitimate contender for the Republican presidential nomination, dropped out of the race Wednesday, two days after a lackluster showing in the Iowa caucuses.

“It’s been an incredible honor to run a principled campaign for the White House,” Paul said in a statement announcing the end of his bid. “Today I will end where I began, ready and willing to fight for the cause of Liberty.”

Paul, a 53-year-old ophthalmologist who had never run for office before his election to the Senate in 2010, risked losing his Senate seat if he tarried too long in the presidential race. He will now turn his attention to winning reelection in Kentucky, where the Democratic mayor of Lexington announced last week he will run against Paul.

Paul, the son of libertarian former U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, who ran quixotic but ultimately impactful campaigns for president in 2008 and 2012, rose to national prominence in the spring of 2013 after he spoke on the Senate floor for almost 13 hours to protest President Obama’s use of drones to target American citizens overseas.

Paul showed considerable creativity in seizing on issues related to civil liberties and foreign policy that cut across partisan lines, raising the prospect that he could build on his father’s constituency in Iowa and elsewhere, bringing in more younger voters as well as mainstream Republicans who saw him as more electable than his father.

Paul also made a point of visiting historically black universities and talked often about the need for the Republican Party to welcome minorities and to expand their party.

But Paul was beset by a number of troubles. His relationship with the Ron Paul libertarian crowd was hurt by his endorsement of Republican nominee Mitt Romney in 2012 and further deteriorated as Rand tacked to the center on foreign policy.

At the same time, Paul’s noninterventionist foreign policy, which had seemed current in 2013, grew out of step with the times as the rise of the so-called Islamic State and a spate of terrorist attacks around the world and in the U.S. raised the nation’s anxiety level about national security and pushed civil liberties concerns off the front burner.

And Paul was also not well cut out for the rigors of a presidential campaign. He was a lackadaisical campaigner who — from the early days — failed to impress donors and Republican Party influencers. His decision to wear blue jeans to a Koch brothers event early this year was innocuous in and of itself, but it came to be seen as a sign of something larger, an arrogance and indifference on Paul’s part that indicated a lack of hunger for the presidency and offended the party’s elites.

Paul, in fact, hated to ask for money. His campaign aides and advisers worked on him to improve, and he did. He also improved in the last few debates.

But over the course of the past year, it became ever more clear that if Paul wanted a place of influence in national politics, he was a better fit for the Senate, where there is more space for the debating and hashing out of ideas, and where he can over the long haul craft legislation to address issues of his concern.

Kentucky Republicans are confident that as long as Paul is fully focused on his reelection, he can hold his seat. The senior senator from Kentucky, after all, is Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and there’s no doubt he was in constant communication with Paul about the need to retain the GOP majority in the Senate.

“I look forward to earning the privilege to represent the people of Kentucky for another term,” Paul said.

#campaign-2016#rand-paul

View Comments (495)

From Yahoo ... Douche

Rand will probably term himself out after an 8 year swing, btw retaining the GOP advantage in the Senate..who cares they are aweful

jmdrake
02-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Actually this should have helped Rand because he could have confidently pointed out that he was the one warning America that meddling with Syria could cause a rise in terrorism. He kinda made that point. If anything the problem is getting people to understand the difference between non-interventionism and pacifism. Non-interventionism does not mean you don't 'bomb the hell" out of a terrorist organization like the Islamic State. It means you don't undermine stable governments that aren't attacking you like the Assad regime in Syria. Sadly many people even in the liberty movement don't understand the difference between non-interventionism and pacifism. Donald Trump and Ted Cruz have taken non-interventionist approaches to Syria while at the same time ramping up the rhetoric against ISIS. Because of that Rand got outflanked on the issue.

Chieppa1
02-03-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm an anti-war voter. And I'm happy to know we will have a least one senator standing against the coming wars.

I can't fucking stand this country. I really thought we'd have a chance at ending the empire before it goes broke.