PDA

View Full Version : For defying no-call lists, Dish faces potential fines totaling $24 billion

mrsat_98
02-03-2016, 05:24 AM
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/for-defying-no-call-lists-dish-may-be-fined-24-billion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+geekwire+%28GeekWire%29

Dish’s telemarketers allegedly failed to heed no-call lists, and the satellite-TV provider may be fined up to $24 billion, a sum larger than the company’s current market value.

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) is seeking $900 million in civil penalties, according to a report by Ars Technica. Four states — Ohio, Illinois, California, and North Carolina — want fines that would total more than $23 billion. Dish’s market capitalization is $22 billion. A judge has already ruled that Dish and its contractors made 55 million calls that violated federal law by using recorded messages, Ars reported. They also are accused of calling people who added their phone numbers to no-call lists, created to provide consumers a means to shield themselves from telemarketers.

A trial will decide whether Dish is liable for the conduct of its contractors and whether Dish managers knew they were breaking the law. Dish spokespeople responded to the requested fines by saying the company was shocked by the fine amounts. They noted the fines were far larger than those requested in similar cases.

What’s telling about all this is, yes, some telemarketers ignore the no-call restrictions, as many of us suspected. But the good news is someone in the government is actually doing something about it.

timosman
02-03-2016, 05:31 AM
This is a non-story. The final bill to Dish will not exceed 24 million.

dannno
02-03-2016, 05:32 AM
What’s telling about all this is, yes, some telemarketers ignore the no-call restrictions, as many of us suspected. But the good news is someone in the government is actually doing something about it.

:rolleyes:

C'mon "geek"... If you're so smart why can't you figure out a free market solution to this problem? How about an app-based telemarketer blocker? Make an easy way to flag the number, then everybody else who has the app will start automatically blocking that number and keep a log with the blocked calls that were received somewhere in the app?

mrsat_98
02-03-2016, 07:01 AM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigmommaapps.rt.agrusslawfirmconsum er

mrsat_98
02-03-2016, 07:21 AM
This is a non-story. The final bill to Dish will not exceed 24 million.

Capitol One settled for 75 million.

fisharmor
02-03-2016, 07:32 AM
I can't say I'm really broken up about this. I actually kind of wish they would hit Verizon next.

There was a period a few years ago where they would call and offer me phone and Internet for $50, & I would reply great that means my current service of phone and Internet that $70 will get reduced by $20 right? And you can hear something snap inside of these peoples heads. They couldn't process that a they called a guy who already had service to offer that guy the exact same service from the same company.

I had to talk to two different managers before I found out that it was a contractor and not Verizon, and therefore they had no power to reduce my bill. And after I went on the National Do Not Call list, and after I talk to two other managers requesting they stop calling me, it then took me physically screaming at the top of my lungs at two other different telemarketers before they finally got the picture that I really didn't want them to call anymore.

Occam's Banana
02-03-2016, 07:38 AM
But the good news is someone in the government is actually doing something about it.

It's never good news when the government does something about anything.

And if that "something" is the destruction of a company with a market value in the multiple billions (and that "anything" is the mere making of annoying phone calls in violation of some statutory regulation), then it isn't just "not good news" - it's also incredibly vicious and stupid ...

DamianTV
02-03-2016, 09:18 PM
It's never good news when the government does something about anything.

And if that "something" is the destruction of a company with a market value in the multiple billions (and that "anything" is the mere making of annoying phone calls in violation of some statutory regulation), then it isn't just "not good news" - it's also incredibly vicious and stupid ...

The application of the fines is sponsored in part, no doubt, by DirecTV.

The best business to be in is in the business of government. Prohibit competition, or just fine them out of existence.

fr33
02-03-2016, 09:52 PM
I was told that DirectTV was bought by AT&T and that Dish Network is pretty much fucked. That's why certain channels frequently aren't available on Dish. That same person told me that both Dish and Direct were getting fined by the Obama admin for not meeting some federal requirements in their service and since AT&T bought Direct they would be able to pay it off but Dish wasn't going to be able to. The person who told me that was trying to get me to switch to DirectTv so I figured it was probably bullshit.

mrsat_98
02-03-2016, 10:10 PM
I was told that DirectTV was bought by AT&T and that Dish Network is pretty much fucked. That's why certain channels frequently aren't available on Dish. That same person told me that both Dish and Direct were getting fined by the Obama admin for not meeting some federal requirements in their service and since AT&T bought Direct they would be able to pay it off but Dish wasn't going to be able to. The person who told me that was trying to get me to switch to DirectTv so I figured it was probably bullshit.

It is Bull Shite DirecTV was bought by at&t BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAPER THAN BUILDING the programing for uverse. i.e. buy an up and running one. then it made more sense to just deliver tv by satellite.

Dish drops channels because of hard negotiating by charlie ergen dish ceo or former ceo, he owns most of the stock.