PDA

View Full Version : Army Top Brass: Draft the Women!

presence
02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/capitol-hill/2016/02/02/army-marines-women-combat-jobs-draft/79695978/

Military leaders: Register women for draft
By Leo Shane III, Military Times 12:38 p.m. EST February 2, 2016

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f5165edfa19bcf273643df7b3770f5690bca06dd/r=x404&c=534x401/http/cdn.tegna-tv.com/-mm-/e3e5039fca757a7adbd71f73fc2037341d68e1d2/c=114-0-1887-1333/local/-/media/2016/02/02/GGM/MilitaryTimes/635900127510067610-SASC-BRANCH-SECRETARIE-6-.JPG
(Photo: Daniel Woolfolk/Staff)

The Army and Marine Corps' top uniformed leaders both backed making women register for the draft as all combat roles are opened to them in coming months, a sweeping social change that could complicate the military’s gender integration plans.

Both services, along with the Navy, have begun work to open all military jobs to any service member after a decision by Defense Secretary Ash Carter in December to lift all gender-based restrictions on combat and infantry roles.

On Tuesday, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley and Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller told senators during a Capitol Hill hearing that full integration of those jobs will likely take a few years, to overcome logistical and cultural issues.

One of those complications will be how to handle the Selective Service System, which requires all men ages 18 to 26 to register for possible involuntary military service.

Women have always been exempt, and past legal challenges have pointed to the battlefield restrictions placed on them. With that reasoning moot, lawmakers will need to determine what becomes of the system.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus Jr. said there needs to be “a national debate” over what the changes mean, balancing social concerns over the idea of drafting women with the reality of national security and military readiness.

But the uniform leaders were more blunt in their assessment.

“It's my personal view in light of integration that every American physically qualified should register for the draft,” Neller said. Milley echoed those remarks, saying “all eligible men and women” should be required to register.

The comments drew support from some Democratic lawmakers — “I agree with you,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo. — but concerned looks from Republicans on the Senate Armed Services Committee, who spent most of the hearing criticizing how abruptly the decision to drop gender restrictions was made.

Several pressed military leaders over whether job standards would be lowered to allow women into combat roles, a charge officials repeatedly refuted.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9065941e142eb769bb76794c742e08d1e14ee558/r=300/http/www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/afcf90e2497b400ba546be50b80560805b483697/r=300/http/cdn.tegna-tv.com/-mm-/1530a2d79a4d765554f08c98ea884f816aec2d89/c=1-0-831-830/local/-/media/2015/12/03/GGM/MilitaryTimes/635847457880904033-2176241426-b04ee304cb-b.jpg (http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/12/03/carter-telling-military-open-all-combat-jobs-women/76720656/)

Milley and Neller said no quotas for positions have been set. Mabus said that watering down physical standards is “unacceptable under the law, and unacceptable to me and every other senior leader in the Pentagon, because it would endanger not only the safety of Marines, but also the safety of our nation.”

But committee chairman Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said military officials still have not provided enough study or implementation plans to justify the rapid changes laid out by military leaders.

“I am concerned that the department has gone about things backward,” he said. “This consequential decision was made and mandated before the military services could study its implications, and before any implementation plans were devised to address the serious challenges raised in studies.”

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa — the only female veteran on the Senate committee — said she fully supported the changes “as long as standards are not lowered” to boost the number of women in combat jobs or force them to meet quotas.

“We need to ensure we don’t set up men or women for failure,” she said. “It’s clear we need to ensure that we’re taking into account the impact this could have on women’s health.

Marine Corps officials had requested to leave some of their infantry and combat jobs closed to women, citing a service study showing concerns about unit effectiveness. Carter denied those requests.

For many advocates, the controversy over women in combat jobs is an outdated debate.

Army leaders noted at Tuesday’s hearing that more than 9,000 women have already earned the Combat Action Badge for actions in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. More than 1,000 women have been killed or wounded in that fighting.

Leo Shane III covers Congress, Veterans Affairs and the White House for Military Times. He can be reached at lshane@militarytimes.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2016, 06:15 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

William Tell
02-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Leave the girls alone.

Carlybee
02-02-2016, 06:36 PM
All I know is, if I was forced into that...which I wouldn't be now due to age...but hypothetically...ya might not want to arm me.

phill4paul
02-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Pete, pcosmar, hit on the solution in another thread.

Draft the police. They are already combat trained. Take everyone of them in the first draft wave. They are far more qualified than any mook, male or female, from any college.

Let the cops fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here!

Jamesiv1
02-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Military leaders: Register women for draft
By Leo Shane III, Military Times 12:38 p.m. EST February 2, 2016

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9065941e142eb769bb76794c742e08d1e14ee558/r=300/http/www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/afcf90e2497b400ba546be50b80560805b483697/r=300/http/cdn.tegna-tv.com/-mm-/1530a2d79a4d765554f08c98ea884f816aec2d89/c=1-0-831-830/local/-/media/2015/12/03/GGM/MilitaryTimes/635847457880904033-2176241426-b04ee304cb-b.jpg (http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/12/03/carter-telling-military-open-all-combat-jobs-women/76720656/)

pretty hawt ;)

charrob
02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
All I know is, if I was forced into that...which I wouldn't be now due to age...but hypothetically...ya might not want to arm me.

+1 rep. Me neither Carlybee. I've got enemies but they're NOT overseas.

Henry Rogue
02-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Women have always been exempt, and past legal challenges have pointed to the battlefield restrictions placed on them. With that reasoning moot, lawmakers will need to determine what becomes of the system.

Mandating equality leads to a lower quality of life, in this case, slavery.

Anti Federalist
02-02-2016, 07:27 PM
pretty hawt ;)

Not sure if serious, but I find that repulsive, on so many levels, words fail to describe it.

Ah well, just another day in phreak show AmeriKa.

phill4paul
02-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Not sure if serious, but I find that repulsive, on so many levels, words fail to describe it.

Ah well, just another day in phreak show AmeriKa.

I understand were you are coming from. As a student of history, though, my understanding and yours is a misplaced understanding.

XNavyNuke
02-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Draft the police. They are already combat trained. Take everyone of them in the first draft wave. They are far more qualified than any mook, male or female, from any college.

Law enforcement will get en exemption as a critical occupation. The farmer will always protect his guard dogs as the sheep get sent to slaughter.

XNN

Anti Federalist
02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I understand were you are coming from. As a student of history, though, my understanding and yours is a misplaced understanding.

Like trying to stand in the middle of an earthquake.

phill4paul
02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Law enforcement will get en exemption as a critical occupation. The farmer will always protect his guard dogs as the sheep get sent to slaughter.

XNN

Assuredly.

Anti Federalist
02-02-2016, 07:53 PM
They would fear for their safety.

RJB
02-02-2016, 07:59 PM
!
The real goons are left behind to bust any 18 year old kid up who wants to dodge the draft. It happens in every war. The Civil War was particularly bad with corrupt local police.

RJB
02-02-2016, 08:01 PM
This concerns me (more than just as a dad.) They don't even draft men now adays. What idiocy are they planning where they feel they will run out of men for the meat grinder?

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2016, 08:07 PM
This concerns me (more than just as a dad.) They don't even draft men now adays. What idiocy are they planning where they feel they will run out of men for the meat grinder?
In the short term, they'll use drones and mercenaries like Blackwater XE.

charrob
02-02-2016, 08:09 PM

My guess is Russia. They've been pushing for this since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Southron
02-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Ain't equality great?

LibForestPaul
02-02-2016, 08:24 PM

Hmmm. Submission. Can you imagine a Dad allowing his daughter to register for the draft. Seriously, that is one of the lines in my sand.

RJB
02-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Hmmm. Submission. Can you imagine a Dad allowing his daughter to register for the draft. Seriously, that is one of the lines in my sand.

I hear you. Those are fighting words. What kind of pussies send girls to die on the front line when there are plenty of chicken hawk "men" squawking for war in the safety of their neighborhoods!? And that goes for my sons as well. No way in hell they'll die for the MIC!

Excuse my language, but this pisses me off!

Zippyjuan
02-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Last draft was in 1972.

RJB
02-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Last draft was in 1972.

Thank you Captain Obvious. What's your point?

Zippyjuan
02-02-2016, 08:54 PM
The likelyhood of ANYBODY being drafted is extremely slim.

William Tell
02-02-2016, 08:55 PM

That kind of depends a teeny weenie bit on the conflicts we are involved in.

Dr.3D
02-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Last draft was in 1972.
Oh crap, you mean I didn't have to enlist to keep from getting the draft notice I got?

Dr.3D
02-02-2016, 09:24 PM
That kind of depends a teeny weenie bit on the conflicts we are involved in.
Don't worry, Zippy knows we won't get in any more conflicts.

Suzanimal
02-02-2016, 09:27 PM
No.

I'm a lover not a fighter.

phill4paul
02-02-2016, 09:28 PM
The real goons are left behind to bust any 18 year old kid up who wants to dodge the draft. It happens in every war. The Civil War was particularly bad with corrupt local police.

Indeed. The "home" guard stayed behind and raped, extorted and out right stole in the absence of fighting men that would, naively, believe that the enemy was on a distant front.

Danke
02-02-2016, 10:18 PM
No.

I'm a lover not a fighter.

The exact reason we should draft you to the front lines.

Uriel999
02-02-2016, 10:48 PM
I think we should have a draft that women should have to sign up for as well...BUT I think the draft should ONLY be able to be legally implimented in a true defensive war.

For example, Canada or Mexico declare war and start an invasion.

I mean a situation where we literally have the enemy at the gates and our countries existence is at stake.

This type of situtation has not existed in the United States since 1812 and I do not foresee it happening again any time soon.

Now women in the infantry is another story...and the Marine Corps study proved it.

However, perhaps instead of looking to make "equality" of the genders in warfighting we try to avoid wars instead.

I dunno, war just seems expensive, costs people life and limb, and is also generally destructive...

Nah, screw it...let's invade another sandy, oily nation!

staerker
02-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Cowards. Can't even fight their own cowardly wars themselves.

heavenlyboy34
02-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Cowards. Can't even fight their own cowardly wars themselves.
It's always been this way. People have been bitching and moaning about it for 2 centuries but never figure out how to permaban the FedGov.

War profiteers gonna war profiteer. :/ :( :'(

Mani
02-03-2016, 03:53 AM
Ya, I don't see any problem with this ruling...What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/01/10/445283/Harassment-Assault-Us-Military-Seth-Manzel-/

Number of sexual assaults in US military ‘staggering’: Army man

The extent of sexual assault in the US military is “staggering” and indicates a “major cultural problem," an American serviceman says.

Pentagon officials have confirmed reports that sexual assault at the three US military academies increased by more than 50 percent last year.

The Pentagon’s review of sexual harassment and assault at the US Military Academy, West Point, New York; the Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland; and the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado, showed that during the academic year 2014-2015, a total of 91 cases were filed, the Military Times reported on Friday.

Pentagon officials welcomed the increase, arguing that it underscores a “growing trust in the system” to handle complaints appropriately.

“The numbers of sexual assaults that take place are pretty staggering on their own,” Seth Manzel, a US Army Infantryman, told Press TV on Saturday. “But what is happening is the army has started to reform itself.”

Manzel, an Iraq War veteran, said sexually assaulted servicemen would refuse to report their attackers for fear of being discharged.

“With women as well, women were often kicked out for reporting sexual assault,” he added.

“It does point to a major cultural problem within the military, where you have an environment that at least was at one point very permissive of sexual assault and now that is kind of being clamped down on, ” Manzel explained.

Earlier this week, the Associated Press reported that children of US service members are also sexually assaulted hundreds of times each year.

Official data by the Department of Defense shows that at least 1,584 substantiated cases of sexual abuse against US military personnel were reported between fiscal years 2010 and 2014.

Most of the enlisted offenders were males whose ranks ranged between E-4 and E-6. In the Marine Corps and Army, for example, those troops are corporals, sergeants and staff sergeants. Officers were involved in 49 of the cases. The victims were overwhelmingly female.

http://www.protectourdefenders.com/factsheet/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/19/in-the-war-against-sexual-assault-the-army-keeps-shooting-itself-in-the-foot/

Way too long to copy. But what's wrong with sexually harassing people at a sexual harassment conference!? It says it in the name! Doesnt that mean...

Oh and this money shot quote right here:

fter instructors presented a case study about a sergeant who sexually assaulted a drunk female soldier, Kepner took his battalion aside to offer a different view, according to the major’s statement.

Kepner told his soldiers that there was “another side” to the story: The married sergeant had actually been trying to protect the drunk soldier by giving her a ride home.

In Kepner’s retelling, the sergeant “gave in to temptation” after the woman subjected him to sexual advances. Kepner asserted that the sergeant’s actions were understandable because he was just a “man being a man,” the documents show.

Jingles
02-03-2016, 05:55 AM
What is this? Starship Troopers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4

RJB
02-03-2016, 07:06 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot, the government told us that we fought a few wars to end all wars. This is probably done in the name of equality, nothing sinister, I'm sure :rolleyes:

PaulConventionWV
02-03-2016, 07:19 AM

What equation did you use to come up with the probability of another war breaking out, and what, exactly, was that probability?

Occam's Banana
02-03-2016, 07:23 AM
I think the draft should ONLY be able to be legally implimented in a true defensive war. Any country that has to force people to defend it doesn't deserve to be defended in the first place ...

RJB
02-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Any country that has to force people to defend it doesn't deserve to be defended in the first place ...

+ rep. I don't need to be forced to defend my love ones, but it will take a lot of force to send my loved ones to fight in some overseas battlefield.

Suzanimal
02-03-2016, 07:50 AM
The exact reason we should draft you to the front lines.

:eek:

I don't think I would find that enjoyable.

+ rep. I don't need to be forced to defend my love ones, but it will take a lot of force to send my loved ones to fight in some overseas battlefield.

Definitely.

Zippyjuan
02-03-2016, 01:55 PM
What equation did you use to come up with the probability of another war breaking out, and what, exactly, was that probability?

We had two large wars going in Iraq and Afghanistan. How many were drafted?

jllundqu
02-03-2016, 02:01 PM
not my girls..... nope.

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I think we should have a draft that women should have to sign up for as well...BUT I think the draft should ONLY be able to be legally implimented in a true defensive war.

For example, Canada or Mexico declare war and start an invasion.

I mean a situation where we literally have the enemy at the gates and our countries existence is at stake.

This type of situtation has not existed in the United States since 1812 and I do not foresee it happening again any time soon.

Now women in the infantry is another story...and the Marine Corps study proved it.

However, perhaps instead of looking to make "equality" of the genders in warfighting we try to avoid wars instead.

I dunno, war just seems expensive, costs people life and limb, and is also generally destructive...

Nah, screw it...let's invade another sandy, oily nation!
Canada and Mexico really? They'd be destroyed within minutes of declaring war.

Weston White
02-04-2016, 03:48 AM
Does it really matter at this point, as America's men are being chemically effeminized.

phill4paul
02-04-2016, 08:21 AM
We had two large wars going in Iraq and Afghanistan. How many were drafted?

9/11 created plenty of fodder. When given the choice between free college and playing G.I. Joe there may not be as many voluntary sign-ups.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Any country that has to force people to defend it doesn't deserve to be defended in the first place ...

Thus endeth this discussion.