PDA

View Full Version : Obama outlines rules for closing gender pay gap and giving women 'fair shot'

Suzanimal
01-29-2016, 09:14 PM

“Women are not getting the fair shot that we believe every American deserves,” Barack Obama said on Friday as he outlined new rules to force US companies to disclose how much less they pay women for doing the same jobs as men.

Obama said it was time for tough action to close the gender pay gap. Women still earn just 79 cents to every dollar paid to a man more than 50 years after the passing of the Equal Pay Act designed to stamp out gender pay discrimination.

“We’re talking about folks doing the same job but being paid different,” the president said in a speech in White House. “What kind of example does paying women less set for our sons and daughters?

“The notion that we would somehow be keeping my daughters … any of your daughters out of opportunity, not allowing them to thrive in any field, not allowing them to fully participate in every human endeavor, that’s counterproductive.”

The Obama administration on Friday issued new proposals requiring all companies with at least 100 employees to disclose salaries broken down by gender, race and ethnicity. Obama’s latest executive action would cover all companies with more than 100 employees, representing some 63 million workers.

The plan comes seven years after Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, designed to make it easier for women to bring pay discrimination lawsuits. It was the first bill Obama signed into law and just nine days after he took office.

However, progress towards equal pay has been slow. When the Ledbetter bill was passed, women were paid an average of 77 cents to every dollar earned by a man. Today it is 79 cents. The median wage of full-time working women is $39,600 compared to $50,400 collected by men.

Obama said women from ethnic minorities fare even worse. “The gap is even wider for women of colour. Black women collect 60 cents for every dollar, and Latino women 55 cents for every dollar a white man earns,” he said.

Ledbetter, who became a standard bearer for pay equality after taking Goodyear Tire company to the supreme court following her discovery that she was paid considerably less than all 15 men doing the same job as her, introduced Obama to the White House podium.

“I know we’ll always have a powerful ally in President Obama,” she said. “We owe it to our daughters, our granddaughters and ourselves” to ensure the pay gap issue isn’t forgotten.

The pay data is to be collected by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which currently collects data on the number of employees by sex, race and ethnicity but not how much they are paid. The EEO data has revealed the startling lack of diversity in Silicon Valley firms, with African Americans representing less than 2% of employees at Facebook and Twitter.

“More than 50 years after pay discrimination became illegal it remains a persistent problem for too many Americans,” Jenny Yang, chair of the EEOC, said. “Collecting pay data is a significant step forward in addressing discriminatory pay practices.”

Thomas Perez, the secretary of labor, said:“We can’t know what we don’t know. We can’t deliver on the promise of equal pay unless we have the best, most comprehensive information about what people earn.”

Perez said he hoped companies would take it upon themselves to use the data to “prevent pay discrimination in their workplaces”. But, if they don’t, the data would give his department a “more powerful tool... to root out discrimination where it does exist”.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/29/obama-outlines-rules-for-closing-gender-pay-gap

SilentBull
01-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Nothing pisses me off more than this kind of shit. How exactly are these idiots going to know whether two people are supposed to be valued the same? Because they have the same title? Some moron from Washington is going to decide that the lazy, slow and incompetent employee should be paid the same as the super-star because they have the same years of experience and the same title? What exactly does "equal work" even fucking mean? How do they plan to gauge whether two people do "equal work"? This is what happens when you elect idiots who have never had real fucking jobs.

Danke
01-29-2016, 09:51 PM
So I can hire women that do the same quality of work but for less? That gives me a competive advantage and I will drive out my competition. Sign me up, oh wait, I won't do that because of my bias.

euphemia
01-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Seriously. I want to make what that moron in Washington makes. They are all overpaid.

Cabal
01-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Obama targets gender pay gap with plan to collect companies’ salary data (http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/obama-targets-gender-pay-gap-with-plan-to-collect-companies%E2%80%99-salary-data/ar-BBoSgod?ocid=spartanntp)

President Obama proposed a new rule Friday that would require every large company in America to report employees' pay based on race and gender, an effort to reduce longstanding pay inequities for women and minorities.

The new policy, already drawing criticism from some business leaders, would order companies with at least 100 employees to add salary numbers on a form they already annually submit that reports employees’ sex, age and job groups. The new pay information would alert the EEOC to companies with significant wage disparities, which could result in hefty fines.

"Oftentimes, folks are doing the same job and being paid differently," Obama said in a speech at the White House. "The goal is to help businesses who are trying to do the right thing get a clearer picture of how they can ensure their employees are being treated fairly."

During the updated data collection process, officials would not publicly name employers or employees, said Jenny Yang, chairwoman of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which published the proposed rule with the Department of Labor. If disciplinary action is taken, however, companies found to write discriminatory paychecks could appear in public record (http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/1-26-16.cfm).

For instance, if company data shows typical female managers earn, say, 25 percent less than typical male managers, the government may launch an investigation.

Since the White House established its Equal Pay Task Force (http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/statistics/reports/american_experiences/women.cfm) in 2010, Yang added, the agency has collected from firms more than $85 million in employee-relief checks.

The EEOC also intends to turn the aggregated data into an annual salary report, showing the average pay for workers in different sectors and industries across the country, starting next year. The information, Yang said, would help managers assess how they set pay and inform employees during the negotiation process. If the new policy is enacted by its September deadline, the first report would be published a year later.

“Pay discrimination goes undetected because of a lack of accurate information about what people are paid,” Yang said at the White House conference. "Collecting this pay data would help fill a critical void we need to ensure American workers receive fair pay for their work."

The proposal expands on Obama's 2014 executive order that required all federal contractors to submit similar salary data by gender and race. The measure also abolished all “gag rules,” which prevented federal contractors from discussing their salaries.

Civil rights attorney Debbie Katz said the new rule would be more than a symbolic call for wage equality. Workers who take their discrimination cases to the EEOC, she said, would have data to support their claims.

“You’d have a much stronger argument if your company is being reckless with the law and the numbers show that,” she said.

Detractors, however, say the policy is an unnecessary government overreach.

Randy Johnson, senior vice president of Labor, Immigration, and Employee Benefits for the U.S. Chamber, said that, though the organization supports equal pay for equal work, the new rule would place an unnecessary burden on employers while providing no "meaningful insight."

“Clearly the administration has embarked on one more fishing expedition to support a political agenda divorced from the facts," Johnson said. "Sound bites don’t make sound policy.”

Proponents of the measure say it will crank up the pressure on companies that wish to appear morally correct.

“This is simply designed to improve voluntary pay efforts because they’re not going to want their sheet to look too bad,” said economist Heidi Hartmann, president of the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, an advocacy organization in the District. The proposed policy, she said, would “allow enforcement agencies to look at it, and it will allow researchers to get at it. It’s definite progress.”

Emphasis mine.

I suppose it was only a matter of time... What's worse, this is just the beginning.

Anti Federalist
01-30-2016, 12:28 AM
By His Kingly Decree.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2016, 12:36 AM
Well. Heh. I supose we all know that there is only institutionalized equality. There really is no such thing as pure equality. Some people are just better at doing things than others. But I suppose we can't have that now, can we?

Education is the same way. Nobody is allowed to fail anymore. Everyone is special.

We live in a culturally Marxist world. This is a prime example of where our leaders want to take us.

Morally correct. Phhht. Federal government is going to arbitrarily grant itself the authority to define proper morality now? Whackobirds.

Anti Federalist
01-30-2016, 12:52 AM
By His Kingly Decree.

Weston White
01-30-2016, 01:51 AM
...Meanwhile the average American worker DOES lose tens-of-thousands throughout their work career due to unconstitutional stoppage at the source (i.e., mandated IRS W-4 withholdings).

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-30-2016, 02:02 AM
There is no way he doesn't know that the wage gap is fictional. The fucking Department of Labor explains the reasons behind the differences in average pay! Same with Hillary. He's not just wrong, he's lying, and so is everyone else who uses this BS talking point.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2016, 02:07 AM
I wonder how a promotion would work in this scenario. I mean if there is only 1 promotion and everyone is paid and treated as equals. How would that work?

timosman
01-30-2016, 02:07 AM
There is no way he doesn't know that the wage gap is fictional. The fucking Department of Labor explains the reasons behind the differences in average pay! Same with Hillary. He's not just wrong, he's lying, and so is everyone else who uses this BS talking point.

http://media.paperblog.fr/i/595/5959973/mystification-egalitaire-L-gzURMW.jpeghttp://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/35389007.jpg

Southron
01-30-2016, 02:10 AM
Just because two people are doing the same job doesn't mean equal work is being done. But I'm sure he knows this

timosman
01-30-2016, 02:14 AM
Just because two people are doing the same job doesn't mean equal work is being done. But I'm sure he knows this

I never got paid $200k for an hour of speaking.

Weston White
01-30-2016, 02:38 AM
...And Hollywood and professional sports are having a tough time with declining viewership, couple that with this and it will shut them down for sure.

Cabal
01-30-2016, 03:00 AM

The issue is actually much more simple. The issue is that there is a third party (the State) interfering with the force of law between two entities/people involved in a voluntary exchange.

alucard13mm
01-30-2016, 04:10 AM
If and if it is true... they only target and are interested for cushy, white collar jobs.

Pretty sure pay is equal for shit jobs or for female brick layers... oh wait there probably isnt a female brick layer.

GunnyFreedom
01-30-2016, 04:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/X6JX9G2.jpg

Occam's Banana
01-30-2016, 05:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/X6JX9G2.jpg

Harrison Bergeron is feeling triggered by this ...

GunnyFreedom
01-30-2016, 05:46 AM
Harrison Bergeron is feeling triggered by this ...

You will never find a more erudite hive of misfits and nonconformists on the Internet than RonPaulForums. We must be cautious.

tod evans
01-30-2016, 06:41 AM
If and if it is true... they only target and are interested for cushy, white collar jobs.

Pretty sure pay is equal for shit jobs or for female brick layers... oh wait there probably isnt a female brick layer.

There's women in all aspects of construction and most of 'em do good work.

One of the most prolific stone setters in these parts is a young broad, late 20's, whose fixing to inherit her dad's quarry and business.........Her whistle-dick husband whines like a girl on the job.........Kind of funny to watch...

DaninPA
01-30-2016, 07:26 AM
"Free people are not equal. And equal people are not free" -Lawrence Reed