PDA

View Full Version : Activists Outraged Over ‘Essay’ Requirement to Buy Guns

Suzanimal
01-27-2016, 12:15 PM
A controversial new city law in Massachusetts has brought an onslaught of unexpected attention to Lowell, a city of 110,000, that lies 35 miles north of Boston.

The new law, which takes effect this week, requires applicants for unrestricted handgun licenses to articulate why they should receive a license in writing. Critics of the law call the writing requirement an “essay,” and further claim they have to pay $1,100 in gun-related training. Jim Wallace, executive director of Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts, a non-profit, member-funded advocacy group, remarked, “It is absurd that people should have to write an essay to the town to explain why they should be able to exercise their constitutional rights.”

Lowell Police Captain Timothy Crowley believes the “essay” characterization is a misnomer. “If you want a license to carry a firearm unrestricted wherever you want and whenever you want, the superintendent is just looking for some documentation as to why,” Crowley said. “That is not unreasonable to most people.”

Massachusetts State law grants local chiefs of police broad discretion in their implementation of the State’s gun-related guidelines and requirements. The tougher licensing regulations will require a city gun safety course on top of the state course. The debated requirement, advocated for by Police Superintendent William Taylor and pushed by the Lowell City Council, gives Taylor sole, unilateral discretion to approve or deny resident applications.

A recent federal lawsuit brought by Commonwealth Second Amendment, a gun-rights group, alleged that Lowell has a history of denying qualified applicants permits to carry handguns without cause. The new policy seeks to ameliorate such concerns. The policy may remediate concerns or, conversely, exacerbate resident anger. Only time will tell.

As of 2013, the Commonwealth had the sixth strictest gun laws in the country and a B+ rating from the Brady Campaign, a gun violence prevention organization that evaluates and compares the gun laws of all fifty states

Uproar aside, the new laws were adopted unanimously by the City of Lowell.

http://lawnewz.com/politics/gun-advocates-writing-an-essay-for-gun-carry-permit-is-absurd/

Ronin Truth
01-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Probably not outraged enough. :( :mad:

Lucille
01-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Absurd.

Lowell Police Captain Timothy Crowley believes the “essay” characterization is a misnomer. “If you want a license to carry a firearm unrestricted wherever you want and whenever you want, the superintendent is just looking for some documentation as to why,”

Fuck you, that's why.

Suzanimal
01-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Absurd.

Fuck you, that's why.

Aaaaaand Lucille's on another list.:D:cool:

idiom
01-27-2016, 01:19 PM
I actually really like that one. Everybody should have to write out the following essay when buying guns:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

If you can't write that out, then you probably shouldn't be buying a gun.

VIDEODROME
01-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Demand it in APA or MLA format with a proper cover page and 10 sources with proper citation throughout the paper.

:D

idiom
01-27-2016, 02:34 PM
In fact that would be a great fucking billboard on to post in that city.

My essay on why I should be allowed to buy a gun: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Lucille
01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Aaaaaand Lucille's on another list.:D:cool:

LOL The thin-skinned, paranoid, slaver fuckwits probably would take it as a threat.

Idiom is far more civilized than I am. It pisses me off that people are expected to beg for their God given rights, not to mention those enshrined in the CONstitution. Gotta write fucking essays now. It's a complete humiliation.

Weston White
01-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Because America's legal system functions under common law, to wit, obliges each citizen to be wholly accountable for their own preservation and defense; and that law enforcement owe zero legal obligation to provide any level of service, protection or duty to any specific individual. Ergo, should me or my family ever find ourselves thrust into such an unfortunate and unpredictable situation against one or more violent, threateningly hostile, or armed criminals I will require immediate access to my preferred loaded firearm, so to administer an appropriate level of justice, deescalating the situation to a swift and peaceful closure, and taking the evil perpetrators into citizen custody--just as a law enforcement professional would (if only they were part of my personal security detail, just as would Piers Morgan, Michael Moore, or even Dianne Feinstein's own armed security details might do for them.)

Ronin Truth
01-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Just looking for written excuse(s) to weed out potential gun buyers. :p :mad:

unknown
01-29-2016, 02:05 PM
I actually really like that one. Everybody should have to write out the following essay when buying guns:

If you can't write that out, then you probably shouldn't be buying a gun.

I was going to suggest something similar, photocopy the 2A and hand it in.

otherone
01-29-2016, 02:43 PM
My essay on why I should be allowed to buy a gun: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

This may be an opportunity. If denied, the entire permit nonsense might be exposed nationally. It's a cut-and-dried violation of the 2nd amendment. Funny how the ACLU doesn't touch these cases.

Cleaner44
01-29-2016, 04:02 PM

This may be an opportunity. If denied, the entire permit nonsense might be exposed nationally. It's a cut-and-dried violation of the 2nd amendment. Funny how the ACLU doesn't touch these cases.

This for sure. Answer with the 2nd amendment. Nothing else needs to be said.

Bring on the lawsuits!

idiom
01-29-2016, 07:41 PM
It would make a great mass protest to have everyone buy on the same day writing nothing but the 2A as their essay.

Occam's Banana
01-29-2016, 09:46 PM
Funny how the ACLU doesn't touch these cases.

Actually, the ACLU's notable aversion to 2nd-amendment cases is not really that strange, if you think about it.

After all, if people actually exercised the 2nd to the purpose for which it was intended, then there wouldn't be much use for the ACLU in the first place ...

TheTexan
01-29-2016, 10:19 PM

I would put an automatic F on that essay, as that is just straight plagiarism.

I hope you would at least cite it properly.