PDA

View Full Version : Rand's NH Campaign Office Break In

laurak
01-27-2016, 09:23 AM

JK/SEA
01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
..just trump supporters doing their thing.

luctor-et-emergo
01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Ohkay... Is this suspicious ?

squirl22
01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Just Cruz supporter getting call lists so they can try to poach Rand's supporters

TheNewYorker
01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Vandalism or burglary?

Patrick Henry
01-27-2016, 09:56 AM
I hope this was just vandalism.

FriedChicken
01-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Very curious to hear the details of this.

otherone
01-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Somebody trying to steal Rand's thunder?

WTLaw
01-27-2016, 10:19 AM
If Rand were so inconsequential, why is this happening? Is someone desperate to get some sort of proprietary campaign info, such as addresses, ect? Who is threatened, and who gains?

ds21089
01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
I hope somebody had some surveillance in place. If we can figure out who did it and see who they support, it might be some fuel to use against them. Though I'd highly doubt the police would even help Rand. They would probably just say they there's nothing they can do or the investigation yielded nothing.

RabbitMan
01-27-2016, 10:53 AM
I hope somebody had some surveillance in place. If we can figure out who did it and see who they support, it might be some fuel to use against them. Though I'd highly doubt the police would even help Rand. They would probably just say they there's nothing they can do or the investigation yielded nothing.

Pretty sure nobody would break into a place with a "Cruz 2016" t-shirt on, lol

ds21089
01-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Haha. No I meant if we can get a name / face perhaps it can be searched online for them on facebook or whatever and look at their posts and what not. This is horrible. I wonder what they were after and if they were successful in getting it.

dannno
01-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Probably just the kids of the Watergate burglers.

andy2044
01-27-2016, 11:08 AM
I always thought Cruz had a resemblance to Nixon.

ds21089
01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
More info on the break-in

http://truthinmedia.com/breaking-rand-paul-campaign-office-robbed-computers-stolen/

Sen. Rand Paul’s presidential campaign office in New Hampshire was broken into sometime in the past 24 hours, robbed of computers with databases and campaign files, according to social media posts from one of the candidate’s top advisers.

Michael Biundo, serving as a National Senior Adviser for Senator Paul’s presidential campaign, posted to his Facebook and Twitter accounts this morning with the following update: “Getting ready to go to Iowa today for the final caucus push and now I am dealing with our New Hampshire for Rand Paul office being broken into. I needed more stress this morning. Thanks.”

Patrick Henry
01-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Wow does that stink! I hope his campaign won't be hurt.
More info on the break-in

http://truthinmedia.com/breaking-rand-paul-campaign-office-robbed-computers-stolen/

erowe1
01-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Sure people would do that. Just not people who actually supported Cruz.

mit26chell
01-27-2016, 11:25 AM
They stole the campaigns databases!? Holy shit! This is clearly a rival campaign!

ds21089
01-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Should Rand mention this at the debate? "I wasnt sure if I would get invited to this debate, seeing how I was left off of polls results posted on Fox, with somebody listed twice instead of my name, and another person having their picture above my name. Then just the other day my campaign office was broken into my computers with personal campaign databases on it were stolen. It's strange how these things only happen to me" something along those lines. If people see there's people ignoring him, being bias against him, and attacking him, they might rally behind him.

65fastback2+2
01-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Should Rand mention this at the debate? "I wasnt sure if I would get invited to this debate, seeing how I was left off of polls results posted on Fox, with somebody listed twice instead of my name, and another person having their picture above my name. Then just the other day my campaign office was broken into my computers with personal campaign databases on it were stolen. It's strange how these things only happen to me" something along those lines. If people see there's people ignoring him, being bias against him, and attacking him, they might rally behind him.

I like it.

squirl22
01-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Ted Cruz all over it.

ChristianAnarchist
01-27-2016, 11:37 AM
They stole the campaigns databases!? Holy shit! This is clearly a rival campaign!

Hopefully they used encryption...

WTLaw
01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Would they have backups?

staerker
01-27-2016, 11:42 AM

If I were him, it would be my opening statement.

I would simply explain to the audience that a rival campaign broke into his office and stole his information. Then explicitly allocate the remainder of his time in silence, until someone stepped forward.

EBounding
01-27-2016, 12:00 PM
I really hope they encrypted the files....I encrypted a voter list just for my precinct delegate race.

hells_unicorn
01-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Don't take this as destructive criticism, but if I was running a campaign for president with stakes this high, I would have somebody sleeping at every single campaign headquarters in every state. Who didn't see this coming?

ds21089
01-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Don't take this as destructive criticism, but if I was running a campaign for president with stakes this high, I would have somebody sleeping at every single campaign headquarters in every state. Who didn't see this coming?

I agree. If this is happening, I can only imagine there's nothing in place to help prevent the corrupt voting shenanigans that took place last time around.

SilentBull
01-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Fucking assholes. I really hope they had backups of this. It would be very irresponsible to leave all that behind and not have any backups.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 12:18 PM
This sucks, but we can make lemonade out of it.

...also, if a suspect is IDed soon, and it turns out to be someone associated with another campaign, the resulting press would almost be worth them having done it.

dancjm
01-27-2016, 12:28 PM
A thorough investigation could yield results. Perhaps there were not cameras actually in the office, however if you are in the business of stealing computers you are going to need a vehicle, you are going to need to park that vehicle and you are going to need to carry computers to it. I know nothing of what the campaign offices are like or where they are situated but I would like to think that these things mean that there is a decent chance of catching the perps on camera somewhere around the building.

Moreover these are the Presidential campaign offices of a sitting U.S. Senator, so I would also like to think that law enforcement will take this investigation pretty seriously, and if there is evidence to be found they will do their best to try to find it.

Most thefts of phones/tablets/laptops these days lead to the perp being photographed by the device they stole. I know these are probably desktop PC's but I also wonder if the use of any of the hardware or software could create a trail and lead investigators to the computers.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but if the perps can be identified, and if it can be demonstrated to be a political theft, that will makes some serious waves.

Jonderdonk
01-27-2016, 12:30 PM
if a suspect is IDed soon, and it turns out to be someone associated with another campaign, the resulting press would almost be worth them having done it.

http://s12.postimg.org/5t203x0ot/y4mt2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 12:30 PM
More media picking up the story:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/01/27/Break-in-reported-at-Rand-Pauls-New-Hampshire-campaign-office/7331453917722/

MANCHESTER, N.H., Jan. 27 (UPI) -- A staffer at the Manchester, N.H., campaign office for Sen. Rand Paul (http://www.upi.com/topic/Rand_Paul/), R-Ky., reported a break-in Wednesday.

Michael Biundo, national adviser for Paul's campaign, tweeted (https://twitter.com/MichaelBiundo/status/692359739481681920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) in the morning about the break-in.

"Going to Iowa today for the final caucus push and now I am dealing with our New Hampshire for .@RandPaul office being broken into," he wrote, though didn't specify what, if anything, was taken.

Manchester police confirmed reports of a burglary at the office, but said a full report would not be available until at least Thursday.
The campaign has yet to comment on the incident.

We need to do everything we can to spread this news far and wide.

Brian4Liberty
01-27-2016, 12:42 PM
No telling who stole the computers. They need more security. Cameras at a minimum. Hopefully important data was encrypted.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 12:45 PM
New Hampshire towns have a lot of street cameras.

SilentBull
01-27-2016, 12:46 PM
I hope this is a wake-up call to those in Iowa. Protect that list!! If I were them I'd leave behind decoy computers with fake voter lists for them to steal. Assholes.

luctor-et-emergo
01-27-2016, 12:49 PM
I hope this is a wake-up call to those in Iowa. Protect that list!! If I were them I'd leave behind decoy computers with fake voter lists for them to steal. Assholes.

With only addresses and numbers of FBI, dept. Justice and police offices ? That would be funny. :p

dancjm
01-27-2016, 12:51 PM

& a built in tracking device.

mit26chell
01-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Rand needs to mention this at the debate, as well as all of the propaganda poll screenshots FNC has been airing on TV. He needs to attack the media and Cruz HARD.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Another article:

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Police-Rand-Pauls-New-Hampshire-Campaign-Headquarters-Broken-Into-366731861.html

Rand Paul's New Hampshire campaign headquarters was burglarized overnight, according to police and campaign officials.

Manchester Police said the headquarters, located at 50 Bridge St., was broken into sometime between 11 p.m. Tuesday and 8:50 a.m. Wednesday. A campaign worker came into the office and noticed some computers and other items were missing.

Matt Chisholm, Paul's New Hampshire communications director, said four iPads, two laptop computers, two cell phones and some other small electronic devices, including cameras and headphones, were stolen.

He said the thieves appear to have accessed the office by breaking down a door.

There are no suspects at this time but police are continuing to investigate.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Guys, submit this to Drudge, The Blaze, etc.

idiom
01-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Well that doesn't sound like anything was stolen that would be used to host a database.

dancjm
01-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Another article:

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Police-Rand-Pauls-New-Hampshire-Campaign-Headquarters-Broken-Into-366731861.html

Laptops and ipads are notorious for catching the crooks who stole them. I just hope the neccessary software was installed.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Well that doesn't sound like anything was stolen that would be used to host a database.

I imagine all the campaign voter ID data could fit on a single laptop.

1TB is a lot of text files.

...not saying that's what happened, I hope not, but I wouldn't write it off just because it wasn't a server or something more advanced.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Libertarian Republic picks up the the story:

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/rand-pauls-nh-office-broken-into-computers-and-files-stolen/

Senator Rand Paul’s New Hampshire Office has been broken into and robbed, computers with databases and campaign files were stolen, according to Truth in Media (http://truthinmedia.com/breaking-rand-paul-campaign-office-robbed-computers-stolen/). Michael Biundo, who serves as the Senior National Adviser to Senator Paul, posted on Twitter and Facebook about the incident.

His post on Facebook read,”Getting ready to go to Iowa today for the final caucus push and now I am dealing with our New Hampshire for Rand Paul office being broken into. I needed more stress this morning. Thanks.”

And on Twitter.

Going to Iowa today for the final caucus push and now I am dealing with our New Hampshire for .@RandPaul (https://twitter.com/RandPaul) office being broken into.
— Michael Biundo (@MichaelBiundo) January 27, 2016 (https://twitter.com/MichaelBiundo/status/692359739481681920)

None of this has yet been confirmed by the Rand Paul campaign.

Read more: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/rand-pauls-nh-office-broken-into-computers-and-files-stolen/#ixzz3yTVZkPLH
Follow us: @TheLibRepublic on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=agbceMWC8r5i0Nacwqm_6r&u=TheLibRepublic)

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Update from the Truth in Media article:

UPDATE: Jan. 27, 2:30 p.m. EDT – Brandon Ross, a local attorney and volunteer with the Paul campaign told Truth In Media that other businesses in the same building were broken into earlier this week.

Truth In Media is actively working to confirm details of the burglary with Paul’s campaign. Check back for updates.

So maybe it wasn't political?

...I don't know, if you just want money, what kind of idiot would you have to be to burglarize the office of a sitting US Senator (who's also running for POTUS)?

Were there no 7/11s around?

speciallyblend
01-27-2016, 01:47 PM
if another campaign started using that database list? wouldn't that be easily traced? since it would be obvious? just make sure whatever database was stolen. that you contact folks to keep a red flag out on calls and identify them. i can only assume the data was backed up? If it was general thieves? Then probably not much to worry about other then loss of computers as i am sure it is all backed up?

Brian4Liberty
01-27-2016, 02:59 PM
http://www.necn.com/news/politics/Police-Rand-Pauls-New-Hampshire-Campaign-Headquarters-Broken-Into-366731861.html

and Paul's New Hampshire campaign headquarters was burglarized overnight, according to police and campaign officials.

Manchester Police said the headquarters, located at 50 Bridge St., was broken into sometime between 11 p.m. Tuesday and 8:50 a.m. Wednesday. A campaign worker came into the office and noticed some computers and other items were missing.

Going to Iowa today for the final caucus push and now I am dealing with our New Hampshire for .@RandPaul office being broken into.
— Michael Biundo (@MichaelBiundo) January 27, 2016

Matt Chisholm, Paul's New Hampshire communications director, said four iPads, two laptop computers, two cell phones and some other small electronic devices, including cameras and headphones, were stolen.

He said the thieves appear to have accessed the office by breaking down a door. There are no suspects at this time but police are continuing to investigate.

mello
01-27-2016, 03:01 PM
I think the same thing happened during his father's campaign.

laurak
01-27-2016, 03:07 PM
http://www.necn.com/news/politics/Police-Rand-Pauls-New-Hampshire-Campaign-Headquarters-Broken-Into-366731861.html

So they should be able to remote erase iPads and laptops should be password protected, not sure if the cellphones are iphones in that case the data can be erased on those remotely as well, unless they already hacked into them and exported the data..

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 03:08 PM

Remember the "China John" affair?

What is it with NH and last minute political shenanigans..

Joeinmo
01-27-2016, 03:08 PM

Im thinking the iPad's have trackers on them

probably the Cruz campaign maybe the Rubio people

65fastback2+2
01-27-2016, 03:36 PM

...I don't know, if you just want money, what kind of idiot would you have to be to burglarize the office of a sitting US Senator (who's also running for POTUS)?

idiots dumb enough to steal are dumb enough to not know what a senator a a "Rand" is

Influenza
01-27-2016, 03:49 PM
I always thought Cruz had a resemblance to Nixon.
Nixon didn't look effeminate

erowe1
01-27-2016, 04:02 PM

I do clearly remember that right before the Iowa caucuses in 2008 a disgruntled volunteer internally sabotaged their GOTV effort by somehow getting rid of their statewide database. Word from people inside the campaign was that it made enough of a difference that he would have gotten 3rd that year instead of 5th.

Are you thinking of something else?

erowe1
01-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Is that the Jon Hunstman thing? Or something else?

erowe1
01-27-2016, 04:06 PM
I imagine all the campaign voter ID data could fit on a single laptop.

1TB is a lot of text files.

...not saying that's what happened, I hope not, but I wouldn't write it off just because it wasn't a server or something more advanced.

I would hope something like that isn't all stored in just one single place.

derek4ever
01-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Any official reports as to which campaign's responsible for this? I'll say it smells like a Cruz turd if you ask me!! :mad:

erowe1
01-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Any official reports as to which campaign's responsible for this? I'll say it smells like a Cruz turd if you ask me!! :mad:

How could there be? It's not like Al Qaeda where somebody wants to take credit.

It could be Cruz. It could also be Trump or someone else trying to make it look like it was Cruz. It could also be someone from inside Rand's own campaign trying to make it look like it was Trump's people trying to make it look like it was Cruz's people.

CPUd
01-27-2016, 04:32 PM
It was probably some drug people who did it. They don't give a shit what's on it, if they sell the stuff to a pro, the drives will be wiped before anything even gets rebooted.

Valli6
01-27-2016, 04:55 PM
What is it with NH and last minute political shenanigans..
I had the same thought.

For those who've forgotten, Huntsman's people put out a video from an alleged "Ron Paul supporter" to make Ron look bad. The media pretended to buy it and talked about Ron's "racist supporters" nonstop, ALL day long, during the Friday, Saturday and Sunday right before the NH primary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZeVqj-t1U0

squirl22
01-27-2016, 05:19 PM
I certainly hope all files are backed up somewhere else. Also, they need to move a couple of cots into the NH and Iowa headquarters and have someone sleep there every night...too close to voting time to risk loss of info and sabotage.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Is that the Jon Hunstman thing?

Yup

I would hope something like that isn't all stored in just one single place.

I'm sure it's backed-up, and a laptop wouldn't be where they have the database itself, I'd imagine, but it could have a copy of some of the information.

This is more about other campaigns getting Rand's info than him losing it, I'd say.

...apart from voter information, it could also be internal memos on strategy, etc.

groverblue
01-27-2016, 07:17 PM
First off, if sensitive files were stored on the computers that were stolen then shame on the campaign for being so careless. Breaking into a campaign office seems to happen every cycle, and any competent resource management would ensure that all data is secured both physically and digitally. In this day in age, there is no reason campaign files should not be on secure server, protected by identity management, and/or fully encrypted. Christ, I can set something up in a weekend. There is no excuse.

CPUd
01-27-2016, 07:55 PM

If it was dopeheads, they don't give a shit whose office it is. It sounds like it was in an office park, so they were looking in general for electronics and money boxes that are used to keep petty cash.

rp08orbust
01-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Wasn't Ron Paul's Iowa headquarters broken into and their computer with the 10k supporter list stolen shortly before the 2008 Iowa caucus?

Suzu
01-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Interesting that I received email today from Marco Rubio's campaign, for the first time. They want money, of course.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 08:36 PM
If it was dopeheads, they don't give a shit whose office it is. It sounds like it was in an office park, so they were looking in general for electronics and money boxes that are used to keep petty cash.

I hope that's what happened. We'll see.

r3volution 3.0
01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Conan O'Brien just mentioned this in his opening monologue.

"Someone broke into Rand Paul's campaign headquarters in New Hampshire today....

....police became suspicious when they saw a person in Rand's headquarters."

Not a very flattering joke, but being the first mention of it on TV all day, and from a Democrat, I'll take it.

1stAmendguy
01-27-2016, 10:44 PM
If the laptops had Lojack software installed on them, they would be able to physically locate them.

Joeinmo
01-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Interesting that I received email today from Marco Rubio's campaign, for the first time. They want money, of course.

Me too and we both live in the same area....hmmmm

Jackie Moon
01-27-2016, 11:14 PM

It was probably some drug people who did it. They don't give a shit what's on it, if they sell the stuff to a pro, the drives will be wiped before anything even gets rebooted.

Yeah, it seems like this is most likely what happened. Just people looking for electronics that can be easily re-sold for quick money.

Still sucks... but assuming they didn't lose any important info they're just out the cost of replacements and the hassle of dealing with it.

JohnCifelli1
01-28-2016, 07:32 AM
Conan O'Brien just mentioned this in his opening monologue.

"Someone broke into Rand Paul's campaign headquarters in New Hampshire today....

....police became suspicious when they saw a person in Rand's headquarters."

Not a very flattering joke, but being the first mention of it on TV all day, and from a Democrat, I'll take it.

Coco hasn't been funny in a while. I'll have to tweet the 800k calls video to him later.