PDA

View Full Version : Creator of Planned Parenthood videos indicted in Texas

Suzanimal
01-25-2016, 05:30 PM
An investigation into Planned Parenthood took a bizarre twist on Monday after a grand jury brought charges against the pair of individuals claiming to expose the group instead.

A grand jury in Houston, Texas announced criminal charges against a pair of anti-abortion activists, David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt, for their roles in creating now-viral videos attacking Planned Parenthood, according to multiple local reports.

The jurors had spent two months reviewing undercover footage produced by Daleiden’s group, the Center for Medical Progress, at the request of Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R).

Daleiden claimed that his footage showed Planned Parenthood officials haggling over the price of aborted fetal organs as part of the organization's fetal tissue donation program in some states.

As Patrick announced the criminal probe last August, he was deeply critical of Planned Parenthood, suggesting that the group was “dismembering aborted babies” and “selling babies fully intact.”

“The people of America and the people of Texas will not accept this callous attitude toward human life, and I will not accept it,” Patrick said during a press conference at the State Capitol in August, according to local news station KXAN.

But jurors said Monday they did not find evidence of illegal activity by Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast.

Instead, Daleiden was indicted for “prohibition of the purchase and sale of human organs.” He and Merritt were both indicted for “tampering with a governmental record.”

"It is an affirming day for Planned Parenthood," Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast spokeswoman Rochelle Tafolla said, according to the Houston Chronicle. "We feel vindicated."

Planned Parenthood has repeatedly accused Daleiden of breaking the law to create his videos, including falsifying government IDs to enter restricted areas like conferences for abortion providers.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/266958-creator-of-planned-parenthood-videos-indicted-in-texas

donnay
01-25-2016, 05:42 PM
A real gumshoe investigative reporter would have done exactly what these two did to get a great news story. 1st amendment and Free Press. If you have nothing to hide what is the problem?

staerker
01-25-2016, 06:02 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/grand-jury-indicts-leader-planned-parenthood-videos-36512019

A Houston grand jury investigating undercover footage of Planned Parenthood found no wrongdoing Monday by the abortion provider and instead indicted anti-abortion activists involved in making the videos that provoked outrage among Republican leaders nationwide.

David Daleiden, founder of the Center for Medical Progress, was indicted on a felony charge of tampering with a governmental record and a misdemeanor count related to purchasing human organs. Another activist, Sandra Merritt, was also indicted on a charge of tampering with a governmental record. It's the first time anyone in the group has been charged criminally since the videos started surfacing last year.

In a statement announcing the indictment, Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson didn't provide details on the charges, including what record or records were allegedly tampered with and why Daleiden faces a charge related to buying human organs. Anderson's office said it could not provide details until the documents charging Daleiden and Merritt were formally made public, which was expected later Monday.

Origanalist
01-25-2016, 06:20 PM
The death cult will be squirming in orgasmic ecstasy over this.

CaptainAmerica
01-25-2016, 06:27 PM
the entire country condones violence, its everywhere . Police, sports, schools, news promotes it(hate your neighbor,love your flag propaganda), "We're better than them" race mentality because regardless of how "modern" the younger generations pretend to be they are still as racist as their fathers except its become an indifference more than it is in your face type of racism, indifference is at the root of most of this to be honest. Indifference is what makes people misunderstand their neighbor, hate their neighbor but at the same time not take a minute to even be part of a conflict that might change for the better...because its better for someone else to have blood on their hands, or have blood on their face.Abortion is part of that "be indifferent" category...., see no violence say nothing, see no violence dont oppose it...same with the war hawks, they see no violence on their own door step so they condone it.

PierzStyx
01-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Proving once again that legality and morality are not the same thing.

ChristianAnarchist
01-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Goons gonna goon...

phill4paul
01-25-2016, 08:47 PM

Already witnessed this on FB.

kcchiefs6465
01-25-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised God hasn't smacked this planet with an asteroid for their evil ways.

nobody's_hero
01-25-2016, 10:55 PM
So apparently one of the prosecutors in the DA's office is or was a Planned Parenthood board member.

Lauren Reeder, one of the prosecutors in the Harris County district attorney’s office, revealed last August that she was a member of the board of directors for the Planned Parenthood affiliate that was targeted by Daleiden.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/25/houston-grand-indicts-david-daleiden-for-organ-trafficking-issues-no-charges-against-planned-parenthood/

Many commenters on the interwebs saying this is a conflict of interest. I hope the case is thrown out on its ass.

Slave Mentality
01-25-2016, 11:12 PM
We can holler from the peanut gallery with little worry, but do something that matters and gets a lot of attention? Well, here you go. Keep your heads down, slaves. Work hard and pay your fair share.

Danke
01-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Attack the messenger.

oyarde
01-26-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm surprised God hasn't smacked this planet with an asteroid for their evil ways.

I am kind of expecting it .

oyarde
01-26-2016, 12:11 AM

the blood thirst for innocents cannot be quenched .

Voluntarist
01-26-2016, 08:28 AM
xxxxx

AngryCanadian
01-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Doing good journalism with Fake ID licensees.

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2016, 09:12 AM
I just...

fuck.

fisharmor
01-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Like my dad always said, if I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell.

jbauer
01-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Seriously??!!??? What a joke. On a related note, gofundme or similar is going to get a bunch of commissions when these guys/gals set up an account to pay for their legal fees.

Weston White
01-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Standard 3- 1.2 The Function of the Prosecutor

(a) The office of prosecutor is charged with responsibility for prosecutions in its jurisdiction.

(b) The prosecutor is an administrator of justice, an advocate, and an officer of the court; the prosecutor must exercise sound discretion in the performance of his or her functions.

(c) The duty of the prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict.

(d) It is an important function of the prosecutor to seek to reform and improve the administration of criminal justice. When inadequacies or injustices in the substantive or procedural law come to the prosecutor's attention, he or she should stimulate efforts for remedial action.

(e) It is the duty of the prosecutor to know and be guided by the standards of professional conduct as defined by applicable professional traditions, ethical codes, and law in the prosecutor's jurisdiction. The prosecutor should make use of the guidance afforded by an advisory council of the kind described in standard 4-1.5.

Standard 3-1.3 Conflicts of Interest

(a) A prosecutor should avoid a conflict of interest with respect to his or her official duties.

(c) A prosecutor should not, except as law may otherwise expressly permit, participate in a matter in which he or she participated personally and substantially while in private practice or nongovernmental employment unless under applicable law no one is, or by lawful delegation may be, authorized to act in the prosecutor's stead in the matter.

(d) A prosecutor who has formerly represented a client in a matter in private practice should not thereafter use information obtained from that representation to the disadvantage of the former client unless the rules of attorney-client confidentiality do not apply or the information has become generally known.

(f) A prosecutor should not permit his or her professional judgment or obligations to be affected by his or her own political, financial, business, property, or personal interests.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/criminal_justice_section_archive/crimjust_standards_pfunc_blkold.html

pcosmar
01-26-2016, 01:18 PM
I am kind of expecting it .

I am expecting something different.

Suzanimal
01-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Texas prosecutor with Planned Parenthood link fuels bias charges over pro-life indictments

Pro-life groups cried foul over Monday’s criminal indictments against two Center for Medical Progress investigators because a prosecutor in the Harris County District Attorney’s office is also a Planned Parenthood board member.

Lila Rose, founder of the pro-life group Live Action, called for a special prosecutor to review the Texas grand jury investigation into Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast.

“The district attorney’s office was asked months ago about recusing itself from this case because one of its prosecutors serves as a board member of the Planned Parenthood affiliate involved in the case,” said Ms. Rose in a late Monday statement. “It is unacceptable that the office did not recuse itself to eliminate any and all questions of potential bias.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/26/texas-prosecutor-planned-parenthood-link-fuels-bia/

GunnyFreedom
01-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Someone on fedbook brought up Trump's support for the federal funding of Planned Parenthood from (March?) of 2015 in light of this debacle and it is blowing up like crazy. I am in awe, AWE of that man's power of delusion to delude the people who support him. He's got Teocons...no joke Teocons actually justifying federal taxpayer funds going to Planned Parenthood. None of the "I disagree with him on this issue but I still support yadda yadda yadda," but full on arguing "there are two different Planned Parenthoods, one for abortions and one for contraception and screening," like the radical progressives always go on about to justify funding it. Teocons! Seriously, I am in awe of this man's power to delude people.

Suzanimal
01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Someone on fedbook brought up Trump's support for the federal funding of Planned Parenthood from (March?) of 2015 in light of this debacle and it is blowing up like crazy. I am in awe, AWE of that man's power of delusion to delude the people who support him. He's got Teocons...no joke Teocons actually justifying federal taxpayer funds going to Planned Parenthood. None of the "I disagree with him on this issue but I still support yadda yadda yadda," but full on arguing "there are two different Planned Parenthoods, one for abortions and one for contraception and screening," like the radical progressives always go on about to justify funding it. Teocons! Seriously, I am in awe of this man's power to delude people.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?488943-Hating-the-Establishment-Is-Not-the-Same-as-Supporting-Liberty

staerker
01-26-2016, 04:27 PM

You shouldn't be, it is supernatural no doubt. Even more:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/politics/donald-trump-jerry-falwell-jr-endorsement/index.html

"(Trump) is a successful executive and entrepreneur, a wonderful father and a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again," Falwell said in a statement released by Trump's campaign.

Peace&Freedom
01-26-2016, 05:09 PM
It's Bizzarroland for sure. The Planned parenthood bad guys are flexing their muscles and covering their tracks through the 'system,' just like 80% of cops are cleared of misconduct or brutality charges, even if there's video footage. Exactly how did the prosecutor decided a charge of making fake IDs was the biggest allegation to pursue in this case?

CNN reported it today as if PP is completely 'cleared' because of the indictments, and because cases against it in several states (over the videos) had been 'thrown out' (no details provided). PP clearly wants to intimidate the right into dropping the subject by smearing the videomakers, then make everyone forget they got caught red handed trading fetal parts.

oyarde
01-27-2016, 12:07 AM
I am expecting something different.

Yeah , well , there is that too and it is going to be much more unpleasant I imagine .

nobody's_hero
01-27-2016, 12:56 AM
Texas prosecutor with Planned Parenthood link fuels bias charges over pro-life indictments

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/26/texas-prosecutor-planned-parenthood-link-fuels-bia/

She'd better hope she still has a job at planned parenthood, because it's gonna be hard times if she gets disbarred for this.

donnay
01-27-2016, 09:35 AM
That line ranks up there with such notable phrases as, "There ought to be a law."

Do you mind if we search your car?

That was sarcasm. I made the comment because that is exactly the tactics they use on us.

GunnyFreedom
01-27-2016, 09:51 AM
That was sarcasm. I made the comment because that is exactly the tactics they use on us.

Pretty sure he was aware of that and participating with it.

Badger Paul
01-27-2016, 09:55 AM
"So apparently one of the prosecutors in the DA's office is or was a Planned Parenthood board member."

But it wasn't the DA's office who asked for the grand jury, was it?

Talk about blow back.

donnay
01-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Pretty sure he was aware of that and participating with it.

Thanks, for the clarification. Should have responded after my first cup of coffee. :o

Suzanimal
02-24-2017, 07:08 PM
Judge Tells Texas It Can't Defund Planned Parenthood

A federal judge ruled Tuesday that Texas can't cut off Medicaid dollars to Planned Parenthood over secretly recorded videos taken by anti-abortion activists in 2015 that launched GOP efforts across the US to defund the nation's largest abortion provider. An injunction issued by US District Judge Sam Sparks comes after he delayed making a decision in January, buying Planned Parenthood an extra month in the state's Medicaid program, the AP reports. Texas is now at least the sixth state where federal courts have kept Planned Parenthood eligible for Medicaid reimbursements for non-abortion services, although a bigger question remains over whether President Trump will federally defund the organization.

The decision preserves what Planned Parenthood says are cancer screenings, birth control access, and other health services for nearly 11,000 low-income women at 30 clinics. Texas originally intended to boot Planned Parenthood in January but Sparks told the state to wait pending his ruling. His unsparing opinion excoriated Texas for not providing "any evidence" of wrongdoing and stalling on the ouster for nearly a year. Planned Parenthood serves only a fraction of the 4.3 million people enrolled in Medicaid in Texas, but Sparks said he was not convinced that its clients would quickly and easily be able to find new providers.

http://www.newser.com/story/238732/judge-blocks-texas-move-to-defund-planned-parenthood.html

phill4paul
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Texas is now at least the sixth state where federal courts have kept Planned Parenthood eligible for Medicaid reimbursements for non-abortion services, although a bigger question remains over whether President Trump will federally defund the organization.

Trumps for states setting bathroom standards. Why not this? Trump doesn't even need to defund nationally. And he can get "state rights" cred.

Ender
02-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Looks like it's still happening. ;)

Suzanimal
04-01-2017, 04:38 PM
2 Face Felony Charges Over Planned Parenthood Videos

Two anti-abortion activists whose secretly recorded conversations with executives from Planned Parenthood made national headlines are each facing 15 felony charges in California, reports the Los Angeles Times. David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt posed as executives of a fake bioresearch company and filmed their conversations with Planned Parenthood officials about obtaining fetal tissue. They posted the resulting videos in 2015 via the Center for Medical Progress, accusing Planned Parenthood of being in the business of illegally harvesting and selling organs from aborted fetuses. Planned Parenthood says the videos were deceptively edited. Now, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has charged the pair with filming 14 people without their permission, plus an additional count of conspiracy to invade privacy.

"The right to privacy is a cornerstone of California’s Constitution, and a right that is foundational in a free democratic society," said Becerra. "We will not tolerate the criminal recording of confidential conversations." Daleiden called the charges "bogus" and tells the Washington Post that he and Merritt were engaged in "citizen journalism." Similar charges against the pair in Texas were eventually dropped. Planned Parenthood, for its part, faced investigations in about a dozen states over the videos, but those have resulted in no charges. "As we have said from the beginning ... Planned Parenthood has done nothing wrong, and the only people who broke the law are those behind the fraudulent tapes," said the group's Mary Alice Carter.

http://www.newser.com/story/240476/2-face-felony-charges-over-planned-parenthood-videos.html

jmdrake
04-01-2017, 05:01 PM
So apparently one of the prosecutors in the DA's office is or was a Planned Parenthood board member.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/25/houston-grand-indicts-david-daleiden-for-organ-trafficking-issues-no-charges-against-planned-parenthood/

Many commenters on the interwebs saying this is a conflict of interest. I hope the case is thrown out on its ass.

LOL. OMG. So is Houston a bastion of unabashed liberalism in the red state of Texas?

jmdrake
04-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Teocons have always been a couple of fries short of a happy meal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKuDYvM6Wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrU3ILPSh8

Occam's Banana
04-01-2017, 05:56 PM

I don't think Trump really has such a power. These delusions are a pre-existing condition.

An example from the other "side" is leftists who excused or supported Obama's military sprees after screaming themselves blue about Bush's.

B4L provided another excellent illustration of the same thing in another thread:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/john-boehner-obamacare-republicans-235303

Republican lawmakers across the country this week are facing angry constituents at town halls worried that Obamacare will be yanked away without a suitable replacement.
You mean ignorant, irrational and desperate people, who when simultaneously hit over the head with a hammer and given an aspirin by the government, demand that both continue because of a hysterical fear of losing the free aspirin, and they can not grasp the fact that it's the hammer causing the headache.

Trump merely affords more opportunities to highlight the existence of the pathology.

EDIT: Another factor is that a lot people don't really give a shit about the things they say they give a shit about. All their bluster actually just amounts to mindless cheerleading - "Red Team, Blue Team, rah-rah-rah! Our Team, Their Team, sis-boom-bah!!" Many teocons, for example, don't give a damn about PP or fiscal conservatism or what-have-you - they just hate Democrats, and they'll reflexively support anything as long as they can find some excuse that allows them to indulge the pretense that they oppose the "other guys." Ditto for many Trump supporters vis-ŕ-vis the "establishment GOP" ...

Brian4Liberty
04-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Teocons are a diverse group. You have the ones that are fiscally conservative and Israel firsters, those that are socially conservative and Israel firsters, those that are constitutionalists and Israel firsters, and those that are total RINOs and Israel firsters.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2017, 08:16 PM
"The right to privacy is a cornerstone of California’s Constitution, and a right that is foundational in a free democratic society," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra

http://wgcl.images.worldnow.com/images/24339241_BG1.JPG

Surveillance command center similar to ones in use at hundreds of cop shops all across Kalifornia.

So, yeah, how about you go and fuck yourself Senor Becerra