PDA

View Full Version : Az HS girls politically incorrect

tod evans
01-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Human N-Word Collage; School’s Black Student Union Weighs In

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2016/01/phoenix_high_school_seniors_face_the_wrath_for_hum an_n_word_collage_school.html

Oh Arizona. You never fail to amaze. Neither do teens who don’t realize how quickly a photo posted to social media can upend their lives.

Surely by now you have seen the photo circulating on social media with six American teenage girls—flanked abreast, smiles ablaze—and the n-word plastered across their chests. Each young woman is donning a black t-shirt with a gold letter or asterisk on it. When standing together, the word “N-I-*-*-E-R” is spelled out.

Apparently members of the senior class of Desert Vista High School in Ahwatukee, a neighborhood of Phoenix, took a photo earlier that day for the yearbook spelling out “Best*You’ve*Ever*Seen*Class*of*2016.” Six of them got together later with the bright idea of standing together to spell out the n-word. Somehow the photo found its way to Instagram.

One Twitter user commented, “Just imagining the dialogue they had before taking the photo.”

And … the consequences are starting to roll in. There are unconfirmed reports that the students have been suspended for five days but many think that this is not enough.

A Change.org petition began circulating on Friday calling for the students’ explusion as well as the firing of the school’s principal. As of Saturday morning, the petition had more than 5,500 signatures.

ABC15 in Phoenix reports that parents began contacting the school on Friday, and, predictably, a representative from the district weighed in, as did the superintendent.

“Words cannot express the outrage,” Jill Hanks from the Tempe Union High School District said. “What were they thinking? We had some students that made a really bad decision this morning.”

District Superintendent Dr. Kenneth Baca said, “It is unacceptable for any racial slur to be used regardless of intent. We need to understand that words matter.”

According to ABC15, Desert Vista Principal Dr. Christine Barela sent out a letter to parents on Friday, which read in part:

We want to let you know we share your outrage and disappointment over the actions of a handful of our students today. We want to make it crystal clear those actions are unacceptable and will not be tolerated at Desert Vista. Those actions do not represent who we are as a campus. We can assure you we will discipline these students in accordance with district policy and our student handbook. While we don’t discuss individual discipline, we can tell you that in addition, the obvious need for sensitivity training will be addressed.

It should be noted that in February 2014, a black teacher, Dr. Cicely Cobb, filed a federal lawsuit against Desert Vista High School and the Tempe Union High School District, making allegations of racial discrimination by students and a lack of action by administrators when she reported such incidents.

Presently, News12 reports that a local pastor and civil rights activist, Rev. Jarrett Maupin, said in a news release that he and others are going to meet with Superintendent Baca to discuss the incident on Monday.

Maupin said in the statement that the image should “give everyone a cause for concern.” The release also promised that if the parents and students aren’t satisfied with the school’s and district’s response, they may protest and file charges with the U.S. Department of Education.

The Desert Vista Black Student Union posted its own photo on Twitter on Friday with the comment, “The incident that occurred today at Desert Vista High School does not reflect the beliefs of the student body!”

Suzanimal
01-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Six of them got together later with the bright idea of standing together to spell out the n-word.

Obviously, the best and brightest.

Somehow the photo found its way to Instagram.

I can't imagine how that happened.:rolleyes:

Suzanimal
01-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Presently, News12 reports that a local pastor and civil rights activist, Rev. Jarrett Maupin, said in a news release that he and others are going to meet with Superintendent Baca to discuss the incident on Monday.

Oh, boy. A Rev.'s involved. I'm sure this'll make the situation better.

tod evans
01-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Obviously, the best and brightest.

I can't imagine how that happened.:rolleyes:

Thou shalt not use derogatory language, even printed with tape on T-shirts........:rolleyes:

rg17
01-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Free speech....my ass!

Suzanimal
01-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Free speech....my ass!

Don't worry, rg17. They will undergo sensitivity training; that'll straighten them out.

We want to let you know we share your outrage and disappointment over the actions of a handful of our students today. We want to make it crystal clear those actions are unacceptable and will not be tolerated at Desert Vista. Those actions do not represent who we are as a campus. We can assure you we will discipline these students in accordance with district policy and our student handbook. While we don’t discuss individual discipline, we can tell you that in addition, the obvious need for sensitivity training will be addressed.

acptulsa
01-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Now suppose the third girl had changed places with the first girl. Then they would have spelled 'GINGER' and no one would ever have noticed.

The funny thing to me is that all these progs run around claiming that using an epithet used to refer to redheads is nothing at all, but using one referring to the chocolate-skinned is a deadly sin. So they claim that calling someone a redhead is no big deal, but calling them dark skinned is a horrible insult. And they not only say this makes them not racist, but that this makes them the cure for racism.

Seems to me that anyone who claims being called a ginger is less insulting than the other thing is making a very racist distinction.

otherone
01-24-2016, 08:54 AM
When standing together, the word “N-I-*-*-E-R” is spelled out.

NI**ER is NOT a WORD.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M4d7037c116b178929db44d2d869af2feo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Suzanimal
01-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Now suppose the third girl had changed places with the first girl. Then they would have spelled 'GINGER' and no one would ever have noticed.

The funny thing to me is that all these progs run around claiming that using an epithet used to refer to redheads is nothing at all, but using one referring to the chocolate-skinned is a deadly sin. So they claim that calling someone a redhead is no big deal, but calling them dark skinned is a horrible insult. And they not only say this makes them not racist, but that this makes them the cure for racism.

Seems to me that anyone who claims being called a ginger is less insulting than the other thing is making a very racist distinction.

*in*er? :)

Suzanimal
01-24-2016, 09:13 AM
NI**ER is NOT a WORD.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M4d7037c116b178929db44d2d869af2feo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Pubic school kids can't spell.

presence
01-24-2016, 09:22 AM
unconfirmed reports that the students have been suspended for five days but many think that this is not enough

Yes we should fine them and jail them for dropping the n-bomb, maybe some old fashioned civil asset forfeiture of each of their parents homes.

Suzanimal
01-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Yes we should fine them and jail them for dropping the n-bomb, maybe some old fashioned civil asset forfeiture of each of their parents homes.

Let's see how the sensitivity training goes first.

otherone
01-24-2016, 09:38 AM

Writing "n-bomb" is the same as writing "ni**er".

Weston White
01-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Yes, yes, the No Child Left Behind Act is going exactly as planned!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/bc/bc39fd77b95c22fff332e8bf38ff78b52c88da48826447d3e7 d37579740f2cf7.jpg

Occam's Banana
01-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Maupin said in the statement that the image should “give everyone a cause for concern.” The release also promised that if the parents and students aren’t satisfied with the school’s and district’s response, they may protest and file charges with the U.S. Department of Education.

Sounds like a Dept. of Ed. SWAT raid (http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/08/no-really-swat-team-raids-hous) may be called for ...

Cabal
01-24-2016, 04:43 PM
How long before something like this becomes a "hate crime" at this rate?

brandon
01-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Saw this all over facebook earlier. Those girls basically ruined their short term futures over this. If they actually are hateful racists, then good, let them burn. If (more likely imo) they were just dumb kids making a bad joke without thinking it through, then I really feel for them. They are going to feel the full brunt of the PC lynch mob.

heavenlyboy34
01-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Presently, News12 (http://www.12news.com/story/news/local/valley/2016/01/22/ahwatukee-students-take-photo-spelling-out-racial-slur/79175662/) reports that a local pastor and civil rights activist, Rev. Jarrett Maupin, said in a news release that he and others are going to meet with Superintendent Baca to discuss the incident on Monday.
Maupin is a rather legendary troll in Phoenix/metro. Not all bad, tho.
From 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoL3N1vjCaw

idiom
01-24-2016, 06:17 PM

Fucking heartbreaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyt0wXLKrMY

tod evans
01-24-2016, 06:58 PM
How long before something like this becomes a "hate crime" at this rate?

The court of public opinion has already passed judgement.....