PDA

View Full Version : Google Exec Says Isis Must Be Locked Out of the Open Web

DamianTV
01-20-2016, 08:48 PM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/01/20/1742226/google-exec-says-isis-must-be-locked-out-of-the-open-web

An anonymous reader writes with this story about Director of Google Ideas Jared Cohen and his talk with the Royal Institute of International Affairs about stopping terrorists online. Cohen contends that the best way to fight them online is to keep them confined to the dark web. The Guardian reports: "Google's head of ideas, tasked with building tools to fight oppression, has said that to stop Isis being able to publicize itself on the internet requires forcing Isis from the open web. During a talk with the Royal Institute of International Affairs at Chatham House, Jared Cohen said that it will not be possible to stop terrorists such as Isis from using Tor and the dark web. The key to stopping the terrorist group from propagating online is therefore to hound them from the traditional web – that which can be indexed by search engines. Cohen said: 'What is new is that they're operating without being pushed back in the same internet we all enjoy. So success looks like Isis being contained to the dark web.'"

Not gonna happen. Ever. All it will do is drive brown terrorists further underground. What genius ideas is he gonna come up with next, not allow brown terrorists to communicate using cellphones or postal mail? Ban terrorists from talking?

farreri
01-20-2016, 09:11 PM
How about foreign governments stay out of the Middle East?

Debating the topic, it actually might work to dramatically slow recruitment as I doubt a lot of would-be-young-recruits browse around in the dark web.

What I find hypocritical about these social media companies arguing freedom of speech against the govt pressuring them to restrict pro-ISIS speech is most of these social media companies already have rules against posting stuff like racist propaganda and since they are private companies, they can restrict, or not restrict any content they choose.

But in the meantime, how about foreign governments stay out of the Middle East?

GunnyFreedom
01-20-2016, 09:21 PM
How would they even know? Are they going to make people click a checkbox "I am ISIS -- Yes or No" before logging in to the ISP? SMDH

TheTexan
01-20-2016, 11:06 PM
How would they even know? Are they going to make people click a checkbox "I am ISIS -- Yes or No" before logging in to the ISP? SMDH

Just have them enter their name.

Weston White
01-21-2016, 12:53 AM
Seriously, is this really an issue? Are millions of people around the world Googling terrorist jihad social forum meetup, terrorists wanted, and the like? Let's get real, nobody, but a small handful are actually doing this and the NSA is already tracking them.

Weston White
01-21-2016, 01:05 AM

That is what this will ultimately evolve into, all server automated cron jobs: http://www.intrado.com/beware

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2016, 01:54 AM
Seriously, is this really an issue? Are millions of people around the world Googling terrorist jihad social forum meetup, terrorists wanted, and the like? Let's get real, nobody, but a small handful are actually doing this and the NSA is already tracking them.

The reality is driving them into the darkweb will make them an order of magnitude more difficult to track.

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2016, 01:55 AM
That is what this will ultimately evolve into, all server automated cron jobs: http://www.intrado.com/beware

Jesus, that's some scary shyt.

roho76
01-21-2016, 09:02 AM

Seriously?!?! How do people rise to such powerful positions when they harbor ideas this dumb? If I was in a position to fire him at Google, I would have.

Occam's Banana
01-21-2016, 09:23 AM
"Don't Be Evil" ... :rolleyes:

The reality is driving them into the darkweb will make them an order of magnitude more difficult to track.

And that (they will say) will require even more draconian laws, regulations, surveillance powers, etc., etc. - thereby keeping the gerbil wheel spinning ...

From another thread a month ago: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?486868-Facebook-Google-Twitter-agree-to-delete-hate-speech-in-24-hours-Germany

So the same people who tell us that mass surveillance of the Internet is needed because it is such a useful tool for finding evidence of "hate crimes," radicalism, terrorism, etc. are also telling us that "hate criminals," radicals, terrorists, etc. need to be deterred from putting that evidence on the Internet in the first place ...

I'd call these assholes a bunch of goddam clueless hypocrites if it weren't for the fact that they aren't really clueless at all.

In fact, they know exactly what they are doing ...

ghengis86
01-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Jesus, that's some scary shyt.

Only if you have something to hide.
Why do you hate Police, America and the Chikdren so much? You should be glad that our benevolent overlords care so much about you to protect you from yourself.

FindLiberty
01-21-2016, 06:30 PM
"Don't Be Evil" ... :rolleyes:

In fact, they know exactly what they are doing ...

99.8% true: Build up big-bro even more, fill up that new data center,
crush liberty in the homeland, trample the US Constitution some more.

Somehow the gubermint ALSO manages to help/force ISIS to find
yet another new way to communicate, and thus evade detection.

So, IMO they are also marooons.