PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash on Flint Water Crisis

tsai3904
01-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Coverage of breaking news in Flint Water Crisis

January 18th 2016

Grand Rapids third district congressman Justin Amash was the only member of the Michigan Congressional Delegation who did not sign a request asking for federal help for the people of Flint. Amash says "While the U.S. Constitution does not authorize the federal government to intervene in an intrastate matter like this one the State of Michigan should provide comprehensive assistance to the people of Flint." Amash also called for an investigation of the water crisis and said the people responsible must be held accountable.

More:
http://www.woodradio.com/articles/wood-news-125494/continuing-coverage-of-breaking-news-in-14284068

angelatc
01-18-2016, 09:02 PM
Wow. They're going to come after him for that next election - just sayin'.

Feeding the Abscess
01-18-2016, 09:29 PM
He and Massie were also the only two votes to oppose sanctioning North Korea last week.

jbauer
01-19-2016, 09:42 AM
He and Massie were also the only two votes to oppose sanctioning North Korea last week.

So will Massie be running for President at some point? Does Rand only get one crack at it?

nobody's_hero
01-19-2016, 09:20 PM
To be honest, and no offense to anyone on here from Michigan, but I really don't think I'd want my tax dollars from Georgia being spent to fix a problem that Flint, Michigan voters brought on themselves by not being vigilant and/or perhaps being too trustful of their politicians. Nor would it make much sense for someone in Michigan to be forced to foot the bill for a corrupt act in Georgia.

The people who caused this mess should pay for it themselves, out of their own pockets, without being able to thwart the burden away from themselves and onto the public's purse. Sue the city councilmembers or utility commissioner (whoever made the call to change the water supply from Lake Huron) in Flint,personally.

Mr.NoSmile
01-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Wow. They're going to come after him for that next election - just sayin'.

Yeah, regardless of his stance and explanation, he's taking heat for his Facebook. This alone, I think, would push someone to try and primary him because this issue would be pushed.

rg17
01-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Of course Amash would be in that district! :(

Libertas Aut Mortis
02-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Michigander here,

First off, no offense taken. The basic principle of State Sovereignty precludes Georgia from being in any way responsible for the corruption in Flint, and it's resultant human tragedy.

Rep. Amash, and surprisingly Pres. Obama, were completely correct in refusing Federal Aid to Michigan. This is our problem as a State, and Flints problem as a broken community.

Unfortunately, the people of Flint do not wish to seek responsibility for their own governments crimes against them. Instead, they want to unseat the Governor, to impose upon themselves another round of despotism. It truly is sad that so many suffer due to the ignorance and greed of the local citizenery.

Amash had a nasty primary challenge against Brian Ellis, and you can rest assured, this vote will be used against him. However, Rep. Amash got through the "Al-Quedas Best Friend" ad, and he'll get through a few Dirty Water ads.

Liberty is a Beacon of Light in the Dark Shadows of Propaganda and Lies.

EBounding
02-02-2016, 09:57 AM
I think Justin will be fine--it would be a different story if this happened in his district though.

Is he facing any serious primary challengers?

paleocon1
02-03-2016, 01:25 PM
The water problem in Flint (not near the Problem BTW that one might imagine from MSM 'reporting') is purely the Problem of the people of Flint. No outsider owes them a Solution.

Badger Paul
02-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Technically he may be right, but just remember it was the state which caused this mess, so it can be argue the Feds can provide help if a state messes up a local community by poisoning their water through decisions a state appointed city manager caused because he wanted to cut costs.

So if this is used against Amash, well, all I can say is he wouldn't be the first politician to lose when dogmatism triumphed over common sense

dannno
02-03-2016, 01:54 PM
To be honest, and no offense to anyone on here from Michigan, but I really don't think I'd want my tax dollars from Georgia being spent to fix a problem that Flint, Michigan voters brought on themselves by not being vigilant and/or perhaps being too trustful of their politicians. Nor would it make much sense for someone in Michigan to be forced to foot the bill for a corrupt act in Georgia.

The people who caused this mess should pay for it themselves, out of their own pockets, without being able to thwart the burden away from themselves and onto the public's purse. Sue the city councilmembers or utility commissioner (whoever made the call to change the water supply from Lake Huron) in Flint,personally.

To be honest, if I lived in Flint I would want the federal government to stay the hell out of this and help get the locals to fix the problem.