PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson: Actually, I Wouldn't Ban the Burka

Origanalist
01-08-2016, 07:39 PM
One day after saying he’d sign a law banning the burka, the candidate did a complete reversal.
For 24 hours, the leading Libertarian Party presidential candidate seemed like he was to the right of Donald Trump when it comes to Muslims.

In a Wednesday interview with Reason, the former governor of New Mexico said that sharia law is one of his greatest concerns, and that he would ban the Muslim head garb.

“Under sharia law, women are not afforded the same rights as men,” Johnson argued, adding that a burka hides whether a woman has been beaten. “Honor killings are allowed for under sharia law and so is deceiving non-Muslims,” he added.

On Thursday afternoon, Johnson recanted.

continued...http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/07/libertarian-candidate-gary-johnson-actually-i-wouldn-t-ban-the-burqa.html

Origanalist
01-08-2016, 07:44 PM

cajuncocoa
01-08-2016, 07:49 PM
:rolleyes:

William Tell
01-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Gary is kind of like Romney about flip flopping, but he's way faster at it.

Christian Liberty
01-08-2016, 08:29 PM

He didn't think through how stupid the proposal was :p

alucard13mm
01-08-2016, 08:45 PM
People are free to wear the burqa.. but i should also be free to distance myself from anyone that does wear a burqa. People that wear burqas and feel alienated.. its kinda their own fault lol.

Origanalist
01-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth here if Rand ever said that?

cajuncocoa
01-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth here if Rand ever said that?Of course and with good reason. We don't have such high expectations of Gary Johnson...at least, I never did.

Origanalist
01-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Of course and with good reason. We don't have such high expectations of Gary Johnson...at least, I never did.

Good point. Some did though.

hells_unicorn
01-08-2016, 09:49 PM
I understand the logic behind wanting to ban burkas, but it was an incredibly dumb idea and an obvious attempt at pandering to feminists that clearly didn't work, and I often have a hard time figuring whether Islam or Feminism is a greater nuisance to western civilization, but I lean towards the latter.

Christian Liberty
01-08-2016, 09:51 PM
I understand the logic behind wanting to ban burkas, but it was an incredibly dumb idea and an obvious attempt at pandering to feminists that clearly didn't work, and I often have a hard time figuring whether Islam or Feminism is a greater nuisance to western civilization, but I lean towards the latter.

Although I have not gotten him to spell it out for me, I'm almost certain I have at least one covenanter on my facebook friends list that believes women should be wearing burkas :p

cajuncocoa
01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
I understand the logic behind wanting to ban burkas, but it was an incredibly dumb idea and an obvious attempt at pandering to feminists that clearly didn't work, and I often have a hard time figuring whether Islam or Feminism is a greater nuisance to western civilization, but I lean towards the latter.Pandering to feminists? No. He was pandering to Islamaphobes, forgetting they don't exist in the LP. If you hate women so much, move to one of the countries where they hide 'em behind burkas. Problem solved.

Dr.3D
01-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Yeah, kind of reminds me of a tuning fork.

Origanalist
01-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah, kind of reminds me of a tuning fork.

http://grandmotherwisdom.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/reo_speedwagon-you_can_tune_a_piano_but_you_can_t_tuna_fish-frontal.jpg

Christian Liberty
01-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Pandering to feminists? No. He was pandering to Islamaphobes, forgetting they don't exist in the LP. If you hate women so much, move to one of the countries where they hide 'em behind burkas. Problem solved.

Hating feminism means hating women? Seriously.

Reason #4321 libertarians are just as dumb as everyone else.

hells_unicorn
01-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Pandering to feminists? No. He was pandering to Islamaphobes, forgetting they don't exist in the LP. If you hate women so much, move to one of the countries where they hide 'em behind burkas. Problem solved.

*Yawn* Somebody needs a quick lesson on the difference between feminists and women, in some cases it's impossible to associate the former with the latter when looking at them. lol If you think that all women are feminists, you have a small thing working against you, which is that the human race hasn't died out for lack of children being born. :p

On a serious note, it is curious that feminists tend to have this sort of a submissive admiration towards Islam, probably a sort of masochistic tendency that goes with an irrational hatred of men, coupled with projecting their own misandry onto men who don't go for their "liberated" politics and other "revolutionary" attitudes about sexuality that used to be largely reserved for brothels and bathhouses.

Although I have not gotten him to spell it out for me, I'm almost certain I have at least one covenanter on my facebook friends list that believes women should be wearing burkas.

I've met a few OPC guys who were musing over something similar, if I were in a position of authority I would have subjected them to either a church censure or refused to give them communion for trying to promote Islamic heresy in the church until they gave a public recantation of such ridiculousness. It's pretty well established in the OT and the NT that head coverings are only required during worship or Sabbath/The Lord's Day, and there is absolutely no scriptural basis for forcing women to be parading around in ninja costumes seven days a week. There is a difference between being of modest attire and doing cosplay for the latest Assassin's Creed game.

cajuncocoa
01-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Somebody needs a quick lesson on the difference between feminists and womenLOL...who? You?

hells_unicorn
01-08-2016, 10:32 PM
LOL...who? You?

Obviously not, since I wasn't the one conflating the two. You're a bit slow on the uptake, so I'll leave you to pursue remedial logic classes before I attempt to elicit a rational response from you on this topic, or most others for that matter.

Christian Liberty
01-08-2016, 10:34 PM
I've met a few OPC guys who were musing over something similar, if I were in a position of authority I would have subjected them to either a church censure or refused to give them communion for trying to promote Islamic heresy in the church until they gave a public recantation of such ridiculousness. It's pretty well established in the OT and the NT that head coverings are only required during worship or Sabbath/The Lord's Day, and there is absolutely no scriptural basis for forcing women to be parading around in ninja costumes seven days a week. There is a difference between being of modest attire and doing cosplay for the latest Assassin's Creed game.

LOL! Its a position that bothers me but I don't think I'd excommunicate him for it, especially since he doesn't even actually enforce it in his household. Plus... this isn't OPC :p

hells_unicorn
01-08-2016, 10:48 PM
LOL! Its a position that bothers me but I don't think I'd excommunicate him for it, especially since he doesn't even actually enforce it in his household. Plus... this isn't OPC :p

My church does enforce the standard of women having their heads covered during The Lord's Day, but that's the extent of it. The problem with the whole veiling 24/7 when out of the house thing is that it carries heavy legalistic connotations, which run afoul of most of the 1st table of the Decalogue. Furthermore, attempting to introduce any practice with even the slightest flavor of Islamic influence should be met with forceful resistance, and I'd definitely refuse the sacraments to someone going in that direction, in part because I wouldn't want knowingly allow them to drink judgment upon themselves while in a backslidden state.

P.S. - I know this isn't OPC dude, I'm simply stating my position on the matter and recounting some of my own encounters on this topic. This is actually one of the points where the Reformed Steelite wing makes a clear break with others claiming Covenanter status, we're not in the business of adding stuff onto established standards without a full church review, which is naturally difficult in the church's current state.

CaptUSA
01-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Seriously. Gary needs to set the bong down for a few hours. It's fun, Gary, but you have remember that other people are listening.

Christian Liberty
01-08-2016, 10:53 PM
My church does enforce the standard of women having their heads covered during The Lord's Day, but that's the extent of it.//

Wait... just curious, does your church require that even when those women are not in church (ie. after church on the Lord's Day?

[QUOTE]The problem with the whole veiling 24/7 when out of the house thing is that it carries heavy legalistic connotations, which run afoul of most of the 1st table of the Decalogue. Furthermore, attempting to introduce any practice with even the slightest flavor of Islamic influence should be met with forceful resistance, and I'd definitely refuse the sacraments to someone going in that direction, in part because I wouldn't want knowingly allow them to drink judgment upon themselves while in a backslidden state.

OK fair enough. Though seriously... honestly would your church give communion to anyone who isn't part of your particular congregation anyway?

P.S. - I know this isn't OPC dude, I'm simply stating my position on the matter and recounting some of my own encounters on this topic. This is actually one of the points where the Reformed Steelite wing makes a clear break with others claiming Covenanter status, we're not in the business of adding stuff onto established standards without a full church review, which is naturally difficult in the church's current state.

In what way do covenanters currently do this?

CaptUSA
01-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Oh geez... CL's gonna take us off on another religious tangent...

Christian Liberty
01-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Eh... "Gary Johnson is an idiot" was a pretty clear conclusion to come do :p

hells_unicorn
01-08-2016, 11:16 PM

To be fair, I kinda opened the door to this by bringing up the whole feminism thing, though I think that was the angle that Gary was trying to play up. Obviously I could be mistaken and Gary was trying to appeal to Neo-con warmongers, and come to think of it, most feminists actually don't seem to mind being subservient to open misogynists provided that they are thumping something other than the Bible.

Here I go again, taking things further off on a tangent...

cajuncocoa
01-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Obviously not, since I wasn't the one conflating the two. You're a bit slow on the uptake, so I'll leave you to pursue remedial logic classes before I attempt to elicit a rational response from you on this topic, or most others for that matter.Or maybe I just don't feel like having a discussion with pompous arrogant assholes.

RonPaulMall
01-08-2016, 11:48 PM
People are free to wear the burqa.. but i should also be free to distance myself from anyone that does wear a burqa. People that wear burqas and feel alienated.. its kinda their own fault lol.

If Cosmotarians had their way, hundreds of millions of Muslims would be free to move to the US and you would be the one made to feel alienated for thinking women should be allowed to show skin. Johnson's flip flopping is the result of the inherent contradiction of his own messed up ideology. He wants open borders, but at the same time somehow avoid the negative cultural and societal changes that open borders create.

Occam's Banana
01-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Hating feminism means hating women? Seriously.

Reason #4321 libertarians are just as dumb as everyone else.

Calling an entire group of people dumb because one of them said something you think is dumb? Seriously?

Reason #1 that Christians are even dumber than everyone else.

(See what I did there?)

SilentBull
01-09-2016, 06:32 AM
Can't believe I voted for this moron.

Ronin Truth
01-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Wear whatever you want, Gary.

Voluntarist
01-09-2016, 09:56 AM
xxxxx

cajuncocoa
01-09-2016, 10:49 AM
I've been noticing a lot of leaks from "Peace Through Religion" lately
They refuse to keep it confined to that forum.

Cabal
01-09-2016, 11:03 AM
I've been noticing a lot of leaks from "Peace Through Religion" lately

Has been going on for ages.

angelatc
01-09-2016, 11:52 AM
In about 3 months, we can use this question when we play, "Who said this? Trump or Johnson?"

hells_unicorn
01-09-2016, 12:20 PM
They refuse to keep it confined to that forum.

The thread is dealing with the Islamic question, it's tangential, but it is not wholly off-topic.

Or maybe I just don't feel like having a discussion with pompous arrogant assholes.

Well, something we share in common for once. How about we both put our common ground into practice? Sound good?

In about 3 months, we can use this question when we play, "Who said this? Trump or Johnson?"

lol Warped minds do tend to think alike, don't they? We could probably give people a hint if they're stuck by asking them which one talked about killing entire families of suspected terrorists.

Nathan Hale
01-11-2016, 08:49 AM
The burka ban comment sounds more like a gaffe that he thought up on the spot rather than a policy position that he premeditated and then changed when the wind clearly wasn't at his back. I love Gary, but I can tell from numerous instances that in interviews he falls victim to the human tendency to just start talking in response to a question if he doesn't have a planned answer.