PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul ... STATUE!?!?!

greves
12-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Ok, so when I first starting looking into Ron Paul, it took me about 8 seconds to be convinced that he was the guy to beat. My brother found the same, and made a comment along these lines (with quite a bit of foresight, I might add): "one day, people will make statues of that guy."

Well, that may be true, and it may not be too far off! Ron Paul has become a symbol. For the more modern Christians, Jesus is a symbol. Whether or not he existed is not important, it is the symbol that matters to you. For myself, I am a Buddhist, and the Buddha statues you see around are symbols, they represent the ideas and are one way of showing respect for those ideas.

Well, as you all know, Ron Paul has a helluvalot of damn good ideas! A Ron Paul statue, as I see it, could be very fitting to go along with his inauguration ceremony in DC one year from now. I'm looking into how much it would cost to commission a life-size statue, and how long it would take to build. Is this an idea that the grassroots community might get behind if the price and time scale are right?

Imagine, there next to the Blimp on the cover of The New York Times - a Ron Paul marble bust!

spacebetween
12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Usually people make statues in commemoration of an individual once he's dead...

MS0453
12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Dude...you're an anarchist and you want to have a statue for his inauguration? :eek:

RP is a good man, but I think you need to step back and see the bigger picture here.

greves
12-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Maybe, but this grassroots hasn't done too much "usual" stuff!

Paulitician
12-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe you're a bit too obsessed with Ronnie...

j0ew00ds
12-06-2007, 11:26 PM
ehh... i think pint-sized statues would be better, for now. How about action figures? that'd be pretty sweet. But we're all a LOOOONG way off from inauguration day and even then, a statue on that day is a little premature. Not very RP, if you ask me.
How about commissioning a local artist to make a RP bobblehead or action figure?

greves
12-06-2007, 11:27 PM

You say that as if being obsessed with freedom and peace is a bad thing!

SocraticAce
Usually people make statues in commemoration of individual once he's dead...

exactly. Great idea, but too early.

RPinSEAZ
That seems pretty grandiose and is not at all in keeping with the humble government ideal that Ron Paul symbolizes.

greves
12-06-2007, 11:29 PM
That seems pretty grandiose and is not at all in keeping with the humble government ideal that Ron Paul symbolizes.

What does a statue depicting peace/freedom have to do with the government?

Remember, Ron Paul's no politician: he's a philosopher!

Duckman
12-06-2007, 11:31 PM
There will be plenty of time to build status of him after he heals America.

To build a statue now, while trying to get him elected, seems a bit weird to me.

risiusj
12-06-2007, 11:31 PM
As long as the bill isn't passed to taxpayers it'd be find with Ron Paul.
I do think that inauguration day would be a little bit soon. Maybe sometime before the next president's inauguration in early 2017.

greves
12-06-2007, 11:33 PM
There will be plenty of time to build status of him after he heals America.

To build a statue now, while trying to get him elected, seems a bit weird to me.

No no, this is to be commissioned and ready for inauguration day, not the campaign.

As long as the bill isn't passed to taxpayers it'd be find with Ron Paul.
I do think that inauguration day would be a little bit soon. Maybe sometime before the next president's inauguration in early 2017.

That could work too...

RPinSEAZ
12-06-2007, 11:33 PM
It's too early IMO and although I think that if RP were to get elected it would change the face of presidential politics forever, idolizing him in marble should wait until after he has done all of the great things he will do. To do it before makes it seem cultish and is the kind of idea that people like to point at and use against us.

pengieh
12-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Granite will last longer than marble.

doronster195
12-07-2007, 12:10 AM
I say that if, at the end of his presidency, he proves to be as revolutionary as we all hope and believe he is, then a consideration of a statue could be a good idea (similar to the Abe Lincoln statue)

RON PAUL 4409
12-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I think the statue is awesome.....How much more in your face than making a statue of him while he is ALIVE...lol i love it

slantedview
12-07-2007, 12:18 AM
I can't wait for the day we have a Ron Paul statue. But I think that time is far off. He has a lot to contribute to our nation still :)

Jason T
12-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Statue of Ron?

I don't think that's even legal for a sitting president. There are laws regarding displaying depictions of a sitting president on public land. Countries where there are pictures/statues/etc of the leader everywhere are usually totalitarian.

But I think a statue, of sorts, would be a good idea. In my opinion - let Ron choose!

A founding father?
A president from the "old-right?"
Some Austrian dude?
The constitution?

Whatever he chooses, I'd be willing to donate, since I'm sure he wouldn't spend tax money on.

Perry
12-07-2007, 12:34 AM
I say we ask Ron. Pretty sure he would say no.

MS0453
12-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I say we ask Ron. Pretty sure he would say no.

Lol, you think?

He's said that it'd be cool to be the president of switzerland because no one knows who their president is.

The idea of unveiling a statue during his inauguration is absolutely absurd.

Shellshock1918
12-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Ron Paul needs to have a statue of himself erected in Washington : "America's last great statesman"

greves
12-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Lol, you think?

He's said that it'd be cool to be the president of Switzerland because no one knows who their president is.

The idea of unveiling a statue during his inauguration is absolutely absurd.

Well, in Europe they know who she is... I mean, Europeans don't know who the governor of Utah is, do they? Americans don't know who the President of Spain is either, doesn't mean too much. Hell, half of America doesn't even know who's President of AMERICA!

Just shows you that people are uninformed, not that Presidents aren't well-respected.

derdy
12-07-2007, 01:37 AM
I say hell yes!

A statue isn't so much about Ron Paul, but what he represents which is all of us and our 2nd American Revolution!

I understand people being humble, envious, or what not, but this is a landmark in human history and it has to be represented with something!

rajibo
12-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Usually people make statues in commemoration of an individual once he's dead...

Hey. Rocky has a statue. So does Terrell Owens- in his house. And Rocky will never die.

split_lipz
12-07-2007, 01:56 AM
That's a little too much for me.

devil21
12-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Funny thread though! I think the Blimp is quite enough for one election cycle. Let's think about a statue in 9 years that will go in front of the Ron Paul Presidential Library.

It will be funded by 3 money bombs and 21 chip-ins. ROFL :)

(surprising number of Yes votes tho...nearly 50/50?!)

1town
12-07-2007, 02:54 AM
If the people of Lithuania can raise a statue of Frank Zappa, we sure can do one for Ron Paul.

Once the riots begin, and war breaks out, we shall remember the man who said "Let it not be said we did nothing" ;)

rajibo
12-07-2007, 03:20 AM
If the people of Lithuania can raise a statue of Frank Zappa, ;)

I believe it was Czechylslavakia if I'm not mistaken...

Santana28
12-07-2007, 03:42 AM
oh, i've been thinking of this for months. i'm certain it will happen - maybe not in this generation, but it WILL be there. A statue of Dr. Ron Paul...in his lab coat, a copy of the Constitution tucked gingerly beneath his arm - looking up on the very lawn of the White House itself...maybe pointing solemnly - a reminder to all presidents to come that they are to be obedient always to the cherished document he holds.

:) or something like that.

RonFan1776
12-07-2007, 04:00 AM
Actually, win or lose, I think Ron deserves a statue. Not only has he been a true statesman for 10 terms in Congress, served his country in the military, held principle above all else, been honest and forthright, but he has also inspired a whole new generation of liberty-loving people.

We should be able to honor someone like Ron with a statue. And with such a powerful grassroots as we have now, we should do it as soon as the election is over, however the this should turn out.

TheNewYorker
12-07-2007, 04:11 AM
;-) My artistic impression of a Ron Paul statue.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2240/86478011cq6.jpg
feel free to use image wherever

derdy
12-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Actually, win or lose, I think Ron deserves a statue. Not only has he been a true statesman for 10 terms in Congress, served his country in the military, held principle above all else, been honest and forthright, but he has also inspired a whole new generation of liberty-loving people.

We should be able to honor someone like Ron with a statue. And with such a powerful grassroots as we have now, we should do it as soon as the election is over, however the this should turn out.

You took the words I was grasping for earlier and put them in my mouth!

TheNewYorker
12-07-2007, 04:41 AM
How about a bust of the good doctor in the white house library?

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6150/48381937zw9.jpg

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-07-2007, 04:57 AM
There is already too many statues in DC. Waste of money IMO. Have you walked your neighborhood? Some other neighborhoods?

krott5333
12-07-2007, 06:15 AM

i have no room to talk on this matter

Real_CaGeD
12-07-2007, 06:37 AM
He is too humble.

jrich4rpaul
12-07-2007, 06:44 AM
I suggest a Ron Paul bobble-head that only shakes his head "No"

FreeTraveler
12-07-2007, 06:49 AM
DUDE! You don't understand Liberty, let alone Anarchy, if you think a statue of a ruler is a cool deal.

ladyliberty
12-07-2007, 06:55 AM
I do not think a statue of Ron Paul is appropriate at this time - it is too much like Saddam Hussien erecting all of those statues of himself throughout Iraq.

If a private artist wanted to make a bust as a birthday gift or something for Dr. Paul to have in his home, then that would be okay, but I do not think a public statue covered in pidgeon poop is the way to go.

A bust of Ron Paul might become an object of ridicule and derision like this one has become:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/original/hillary_clinton_bust_museum_of_sex_2.jpg

greves
12-07-2007, 07:52 AM
DUDE! You don't understand Liberty, let alone Anarchy, if you think a statue of a ruler is a cool deal.

Wait, WHAT?! Ron Paul is a ruler!?!?

You didn't read my OP :(

CelestialRender
12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Entirely too early. Things always start going downhill when you make them dei before they die.