PDA

View Full Version : The Coming Saudi Crack-up? - Daniel Lazare

Rad
12-27-2015, 05:58 AM
President Obama, like generations of Western leaders, has coddled the oil-rich Saudi monarchy by tolerating its reactionary politics, its financing of radical Islam and its military support for Sunni jihadist terrorism. But the spoiled Saudi leaders may finally be going too far, as Daniel Lazare describes.

Is the West afraid of the fall of the House of Saud and that's why it lets them destabilize the Middle East? Is this the best policy? They are supporting our enemies. What do you do when you have a despicable regime that controls 20 percent of the oil reserves, is ground zero for terrorism propagation, and is destabilizing the Middle East? The US also won't mind its own business so if you were in control of the US Empire what would you do? What do you think the presidential candidates will do?

The West is afraid to push too hard for the same reason. All too aware that the Saudi opposition to the monarchy is dominated by hard-line Islamists rather than nice house-broken liberals, the West’s greatest nightmare is of a failed oil giant sitting on top of 20 percent of the world’s proven reserves as Al Qaeda and ISIS run riot in the streets.

“Get rid of the House of Saud,” observed a senior UK diplomat, “and you will be screaming for them to come back within six months.” After years of feeding the Saudi monster, Western leaders are afraid to stop for fear of making things even worse.
https://consortiumnews.com/2015/12/22/the-coming-saudi-crack-up/

Natural Citizen
12-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Seems like it is destined to collapse. So, then, the question becomes, or should become, who will manage that collapse. I had specifically written on this some place around here and at greater length. But I don't remember where.

This is an important discussion to have, though.

UWDude
12-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Seems like it is destined to collapse. So, then, the question becomes, or should become, who will manage that collapse. I had specifically written on this some place around here and at greater length. But I don't remember where.

This is an important discussion to have, though.

Who should become? Some libertarian fantasy liberalizing prince, who promotes democracy, free trade, and ill will toward none.
Who will become? Probably ISIS. The collapse's manageability is inversely related to its probability. The probability is very, very high now.