PDA

View Full Version : Minority Support for Ron Paul

Pedrique
06-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm curious about Latino and Black support for RP - or the lack thereof.

Do we have any idea how his platform resonates with these voters?

I realize the black vote will go primarily to the Democrat candidate no matter what, but I think we need to figure out how to reach the Latino vote.

Bush made big inroads with this group in 2004 but recent polls suggest that support is gone and that Latinos are abandoning the republican party for 2008. This is a big problem.

Are there any Latinos on this board that can speak to this issue?

njandrewg
06-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Latino voters are supporting amnesty and opening up the borders, they will not show support for anyone who opposes that

foofighter20x
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Enlighten the Latinos with this fact:

Dr Ron Paul was the delivery doctor for Latino music sensation Selena.

A vote against Dr Paul is a vote against Selena! :p

beermotor
06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I think there are broad-brush generalizations you can make, but they aren't very helpful.

We should be preaching to individuals, NOT GROUPS. Although it is tempting; I've always wished black folks would en masse adopt a libertarian ethos, as such a cohesive liberty bloc could be mighty powerful, but I suppose this is as pie-in-the-sky as wishing white folks could, or would do the same.

The platform of freedom resonates with all people - but you have to talk to them as individuals, not members of some class you're trying to mobilize. We're all in the same class - we're all Americans. Deep down, we all want the same things. We just have to remind them of that fact.

orenbus
06-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I have many hispanic friends that are supporting Ron Paul. Thankfully, the messageof liberty and freedom cuts across racial lines.

IRO-bot
06-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Enlighten the Latinos with this fact:

Dr Ron Paul was the delivery doctor for Latino music sensation Selena.

A vote against Dr Paul is a vote against Selena! :p

Seriously?

foofighter20x
06-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Yup.

Selena was born in Lake Jackon, Brazoria County, Texas in Jan 1971.

Dr Paul was the only OB/GYN in the county at that time.

My mom lives in Brazoria County too. :D

Tsoman
06-29-2007, 11:10 AM
I think the libertarian ideals would be popular for black people too.

The welfare state is like slavery. "hey, we'll pay you to not have any ambitions!"

(oops, that was just racist of me to equate black people to welfare recipients :(. ok it's slavery for poor whitefolks on welfare too.)

I've met many latinos who are against illegal immigration and amnesty, btw.

Aborell
06-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Latino voters are supporting amnesty and opening up the borders, they will not show support for anyone who opposes that

how incredibly enlightened

maiki
06-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I think it depends of what sort of latinos you are talking about. Many latinos would LOVE it if legal immigration laws were less expensive, bureaucratic, and streamlined, and illegal immigrants stopped cutting in line of legal immigration. And the MSM loves using the euphemism "immigration" for illegal immigration.

However, many latinos come from illegal immigrant families, and are against many of RP's stances. it depends a lot on the background.

But that is just my opinion (non-mexican hispanic). I think Mexican Hispanics have a differing viewpoint on the matter.

Erazmus
06-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Yup.

Selena was born in Lake Jackon, Brazoria County, Texas in Jan 1971.

Dr Paul was the only OB/GYN in the county at that time.

My mom lives in Brazoria County too. :D

I don't doubt what you are saying, but do we have a link or a source to cite this? I'd hate to go around saying this and find out that even though he was the OB/GYN in the county at the time of her birth, that he still wasn't the one who gave the delivery. The people I talk to would immediately ask me to validate this claim.

Thanks in advance. This would be really cool to validate as my wife is Mexican.

specsaregood
06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
//

mdh
06-29-2007, 11:50 AM

I call bullshit on this statement. There are a vocal minority of hispanics who support amnesty; many of whom cannot legally vote.

MGS
06-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I call bullshit on this statement. There are a vocal minority of hispanics who support amnesty; many of whom cannot legally vote.

Yeah id imagine if i had gone through all the legal trouble to be a legitimate citizen of this country, id be pretty upset for people trying to get a free ride in.

mdh
06-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah id imagine if i had gone through all the legal trouble to be a legitimate citizen of this country, id be pretty upset for people trying to get a free ride in.

Not to mention the fact the Puerto Rico is a part of the US, and everyone there is both legal and hispanic. Not to mention the fact that there're plenty of of legal immigrants from South and Central America, Cuba, etc who are opposed to illegal border jumping. All of the legal Mexican immigrants who work hard ever day.
Blech. I hate racists who make rash generalizations like that.

ThePieSwindler
06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
he needs a black man endorsing him.

Walter Williams? Terry Anderson seems to respect him for his views on immigration. Not sure as much about Larry Elder.

mdh
06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
he needs a black man endorsing him.

Seriously, racism is collectivism, half of this thread is disgusting and retarded.

angrydragon
06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I thought Walter Williams already endorsed Ron.

Lord Xar
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM

You would think so, but there are a TON of hispanics that are against the Shamnesty, you just never hear about them.Why? Well, the La Raza's (racists), and other hispanic groups want the power (votes, population, money) that will come with the Shamnesty, so they will work against what other hispanics want because they know there will be NO backlash against them from their 'so called constituents'. Its a complete benefit for them with no loss.

foraneagle2
06-29-2007, 02:38 PM
he needs a black man endorsing him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKik8DVOsM

foofighter20x
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't doubt what you are saying, but do we have a link or a source to cite this? I'd hate to go around saying this and find out that even though he was the OB/GYN in the county at the time of her birth, that he still wasn't the one who gave the delivery. The people I talk to would immediately ask me to validate this claim.

You can probably verifiy this with JoshLowry (admin user)... I think that's who I heard this from. He's credible too as he worked for Dr Paul a while back.

Bradley in DC
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Dr. Paul never talks about it, but yes, he delivered Selena. I was told this by the Congressional press guy when we worked together (he was from the district). He says that her parents confirmed it to him when asked.

rodent
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm curious about Latino and Black support for RP - or the lack thereof.

I realize the black vote will go primarily to the Democrat candidate no matter what, but I think we need to figure out how to reach the Latino vote.

Bush made big inroads with this group in 2004 but recent polls suggest that support is gone and that Latinos are abandoning the republican party for 2008. This is a big problem.

Are there any Latinos on this board that can speak to this issue?

Something to point out to latinos is this: the democrats won black support in the 60s, but some 30-40 years later have turned their back on blacks. Why? They're voting for amnesty which is totally destroying black communities. African Americans need to be aware that government lapses in border enforcement and the CIA were responsible for ruining their communities. The more government grew, the more African Americans got hurt.

So the question to be posed to Latinos is simple -- what happens after amnesty (if they get it)? Will they abandoned like the cheap political cause that African Americans were?

The core idea here is that government is bad, even if it's for a short term, ethno-centric political agenda. It's only under true freedom can any minority group get anywhere. The hate for African Americans and Hispanics develops out of divisive government policies. Again, government is not the solution.

Man from La Mancha
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
If you have got what it takes then set up DR.No booths in the southwest and Florida flee markets

http://www.numbersusa.com/interests/publicop.html#hispanics

McLaughlin & Associates conducted a national survey of 1,000 likely general election voters between April 12th and 15th, 2007. A subsequent oversample of 202 Latino voters was conducted to bring the national sample of Latinos to 300 respondents. The Latino oversample interviewing was conducted by bi-lingual interviewers to allow for Spanish-speaking Latino voters. The oversample was then weighted into the overall results in order to ensure a sample representative of national voters.

Click here to view the McLaughlin & Associates poll

Eighty-two percent of Latinos polled support requiring voters to show valid photo identification when they vote on Election Day in order to stop voter fraud and illegal immigrants from voting.

Seventy-three percent of Latinos favor creating a tamper-proof identification card system to determine instantly whether a job applicant is legally entitled to work inside the United States, and to hold those employers who hire illegal workers accountable.

Fifty-nine percent of Latinos support prohibiting states from issuing drivers’ licenses to illegal immigrants.

Sixty-seven percent of Latinos favor the illegal immigration proposal in Congress to create a tamper-proof worker’s card and national database for immigrants who are in the United States legally. In order to hire a worker, employers would have to be presented with the tamper-proof worker’s card to check the national database and make sure the worker is here legally. If the worker is not in the database, then the worker is here illegally and the employer must report it to the authorities.

Sixty-seven percent of Latinos support repealing local sanctuary laws that protect illegal immigrants by requiring local and state police to detain illegal immigrants when they are arrested or stopped for other crimes, whether these crimes are felonies or misdemeanors, and to hold them for deportation.

Fifty-six percent of Latinos favor enacting a new immigration policy of “zero tolerance” towards illegal immigrants, where any illegal immigrant in the United States would be deported to their country of citizenship.

Fifty-seven percent of Latinos would support measure to STOP the use of taxpayer funds to provide Medicaid, welfare, and other government services for illegal immigrants.

Seventy-two percent of Latinos oppose giving Social Security benefits and credit to illegal immigrants.

Fifty-three percent of Latinos would support changing U.S. citizenship law regarding birthright citizenship so that, like most other countries, if a child is born in the United States, one of the child’s parents must already be a U.S. citizen in order for the child to be a U.S. citizen.

Fifty-four percent of Latinos oppose providing a path to US citizenship for those illegal immigrants who entered the United States illegally, and who fraudulently obtained green cards and Social Security numbers, when millions are playing by the rules and waiting in their countries to enter the United States legally.

Fifty-six percent of Latinos favor hiring 6,000 new border patrol agents to bring the total force to 18,000 agents.

batman00
06-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Walter Williams endorses Ron Paul. Here is his wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Williams#_note-5

Here is a quote from his Washington Times Article from 02/09/07:

"Mr. Williams' own '08 favorite is Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican and a 1988 Libertarian Party presidential nominee, who last month announced the formation of an exploratory committee. 'If the framers of the Constitution were somehow to come back, Ron Paul is one of possibly only three people in Congress that they'd even talk to," said Mr. Williams, adding that most politicians have a "generalized contempt" for the values of the Constitution."

pcosmar
06-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Those that are interested in freedom will like him, Walter Williams is a good example.
Many who are looking for a free handout from the government, will not.

LibertyEagle
06-29-2007, 06:19 PM

I don't think that's true. There are a lot of very patriotic Mexican Americans who are pretty ticked about the illegal alien invasion of our country.

For example:
http://dontspeakforme.org/

It would be great if Ron somehow hooked up with these folks.

V-rod
06-30-2007, 03:37 AM
I know many middle class and some lower class Mexican Americans who are 2nd-3rd Generation Americans and up who have no love for illegal border jumpers from Mexico.
Hell, even among illegals, some part of them would like tightened border security since there are quite a few Guatemalans who are coming over here and they are deemed unwashed and more inferior to the North Mexicans.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
06-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Not to be racist or anything, but why do democrats get the black vote?

foofighter20x
06-30-2007, 05:05 AM

Most of it has to do with the fact that it was the Northern faction of the Dems back in the 60s who pushed to abolish Jim Crow.

The Southern Dems wing, or Dixiecrats, switched over to the GOP after about 1968.

Bradley in DC
06-30-2007, 09:27 AM

Post War Between the States, most blacks were Republicans. Then FDR made advances winning over many converts there (despite many racist policies). The nail in the coffin for organizational support was from Ike who destroyed the black Republican groups who supported Sen. Robert A. Taft (R-OH). The impressions from fight over the Voting Rights Act, etc., in the 1960s and Nixon's "Southern strategy" followed. The rest, as they say, is history.

LastoftheMohicans
06-30-2007, 10:31 AM
On a related note, I saw the Democrats debate last weekend. It was at Howard University and hosted by Tavis Smiley. I believe Ron Paul was invited by Smiley to be at the Repubican version at Morgan State(which I think is a black college). Most of the Democrats spouted off their usual big government solutions and unfortunately, the crowd at it up. I noticed many of the Black political Establishment was there, seated front in center, of course. The best way for Ron Paul to be successful, besides being himself, is to bypass the whole Civil Rights establishment. They have sold out the masses of black people just like almost all other "leaders" have sold out their constituencies. Most of the Civil Rights establishment supported Clinton despite his overt and covert racism/racial politics.

Unfortunately, most of the Black Repubiican/Conservatives are neocons at least when it comes to foreign policy. Some are also Big Government conservatives when it comes to spending, the war on drugs, civil liberties, etc. We all saw how Fmr. Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele treated Ron Paul after the SC debate. Tom Sowell is no libertarian. Walter Williams is sound on economics, pro-secession, but is also a neocon on foreign policy.

I am not trying to pick on black liberals and conservatives but their no different than liberals and conservatives of other races.