PDA

View Full Version : New Here From The Daily Paul

doublek321
12-16-2015, 05:36 PM
I registered for Ron Paul forums in 2011 but haven't been active. I'm posting here now because Popular Liberty (formerly Daily Paul) is shutting down. I didn't even have a chance to say a proper goodbye on PL, however, because someone (not sure if Michael or one of his mods) either locked me out or maybe even banned me (despite being a very regular participant in discussions for 4 1/2 years - note I was user "bort" and prior to that "doublek321").

I want to take a minute to discuss the post that got me locked out/banned. I can't find the exact text because I can no longer get into my account. However, the basic gist was that I posted a response to a user who was essentially "found the silver lining" in the closing of PL because it would "open the door for other liberty sites".

I compared that line of reasoning to the broken window fallacy (which basically says that destroying things is good because it stimulates the economy since the things have to be replaced). I very sarcastically asked how great it would be if even more liberty related sites (e.g. Peter Schiff, Tom Woods, etc) shut down too. I even asked if it would be good for Ron Paul to stop fighting for the cause of liberty because that would also "create opportunity".

I'm now in search of a new liberty related forum. I suspect a decent number of people will come here. Before I settle into RPF though, I want to ask a few questions:

1) Do you find the post I got banned for to be worthy of a ban? Personally, I would think a ban would only be deserved if a person was truly being a troll (e.g. very obviously just trying to be negative and disruptive - which I absolutely don't consider my post to be).

2) Does the person/people who run this site annually talk about closing the site? On the DP/PL, it felt like Michael was always talking about closing the site for one reason or another. Basically I don't want to invest time/effort into something that the owner is going to just randomly shut down. My complaint is NOT that he decided to stop running the site but rather that he also refused to either sell it or let people who cared about it keep the site up and running.

I asked him what his "price" was but was told by other users that he doesn't want to sell. I said that I didn't really care about owning it but rather just having the site up and running. I asked if we could pay him a certain sum to let the people who cared about the site keep it running while he could maintain full ownership. I also proposed the idea that we could buy it off him and would take a pledge to maintain the integrity of what he had built. Apparently none of these options were acceptable.

Admittedly it's his site and his right to do what he wanted with it. My point was that I was disappointed in him because what he's doing sets back the liberty movement. He's causing what was built up there to be scattered away. Also the liberty movement has zero time to waste but he's forcing us to spend time figuring out another site to regroup on (or to build). To me, he pulled the rug out from under what he created. Again it's his right to do so but I also have a right to be disappointed in his actions. If he really cares about liberty, why not sell it or let others run it?

3) How do I change my name on here? I'd like to switch back to "bort".

Kotin
12-16-2015, 05:46 PM
I registered for Ron Paul forums in 2011 but haven't been active. I'm posting here now because Popular Liberty (formerly Daily Paul) is shutting down. I didn't even have a chance to say a proper goodbye on PL, however, because someone (not sure if Michael or one of his mods) either locked me out or maybe even banned me (despite being a very regular participant in discussions for 4 1/2 years - note I was user "bort" and prior to that "doublek321").

I want to take a minute to discuss the post that got me locked out/banned. I can't find the exact text because I can no longer get into my account. However, the basic gist was that I posted a response to a user who was essentially "found the silver lining" in the closing of PL because it would "open the door for other liberty sites".

I compared that line of reasoning to the broken window fallacy (which basically says that destroying things is good because it stimulates the economy since the things have to be replaced). I very sarcastically asked how great it would be if even more liberty related sites (e.g. Peter Schiff, Tom Woods, etc) shut down too. I even asked if it would be good for Ron Paul to stop fighting for the cause of liberty because that would also "create opportunity".

I'm now in search of a new liberty related forum. I suspect a decent number of people will come here. Before I settle into RPF though, I want to ask a few questions:

1) Do you find the post I got banned for to be worthy of a ban? Personally, I would think a ban would only be deserved if a person was truly being a troll (e.g. very obviously just trying to be negative and disruptive - which I absolutely don't consider my post to be).

2) Does the person/people who run this site annually talk about closing the site? On the DP/PL, it felt like Michael was always talking about closing the site for one reason or another. Basically I don't want to invest time/effort into something that the owner is going to just randomly shut down. My complaint is NOT that he decided to stop running the site but rather that he also refused to either sell it or let people who cared about it keep the site up and running.

I asked him what his "price" was but was told by other users that he doesn't want to sell. I said that I didn't really care about owning it but rather just having the site up and running. I asked if we could pay him a certain sum to let the people who cared about the site keep it running while he could maintain full ownership. I also proposed the idea that we could buy it off him and would take a pledge to maintain the integrity of what he had built. Apparently none of these options were acceptable.

Admittedly it's his site and his right to do what he wanted with it. My point was that I was disappointed in him because what he's doing sets back the liberty movement. He's causing what was built up there to be scattered away. Also the liberty movement has zero time to waste but he's forcing us to spend time figuring out another site to regroup on (or to build). To me, he pulled the rug out from under what he created. Again it's his right to do so but I also have a right to be disappointed in his actions. If he really cares about liberty, why not sell it or let others run it?

Welcome!

you wouldn't be banned for that as far I as I am concerned lol.

and no, its pretty stable here, been around since 07' and still going

for name changes, I would get into contact with the site owner Bryan you can find him in the site staff tab in the community menu up top

r3volution 3.0
12-16-2015, 06:05 PM

Hey bort, I think I remember you.

When I was at the old Daily Paul, I went by "NowOrNever."

In any event, welcome. :)

Well played

1) Do you find the post I got banned for to be worthy of a ban?

Nope, perfectly reasonable criticism of Nystrom's incomprehensible decision to trash the site.

2) Does the person/people who run this site annually talk about closing the site?

Nope, this is a low-drama environment

On the DP/PL, it felt like Michael was always talking about closing the site for one reason or another. Basically I don't want to invest time/effort into something that the owner is going to just randomly shut down. My complaint is NOT that he decided to stop running the site but rather that he also refused to either sell it or let people who cared about it keep the site up and running.

Some of us here were recently discussing (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?486736-Popular-Liberty-%28Daily-Paul%29-Is-shutting-down-again) that very question...

The Mods can help you with that.

sparebulb
12-16-2015, 06:13 PM
welcome.

TER
12-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Welcome bort! I recently was banned, and trust me, it was a frightening experience.

Have you met Danke yet?

luctor-et-emergo
12-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Welcome. :)

dannno
12-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Banning usually occurs for insulting other members, excessive negativity, spamming, stalking, racism, overly lude/graphic content, posting in the wrong forums, creating sock-puppet accounts, etc, you will probably receive some type of warning first. You might wanna checkout the site's mission statement (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1957).

A couple quirks about the forum - there is a portion of the forum that is not visible for google searches and non-members including Hot Topics (9/11 and most conspiracy items end up here) and The Vent (venting about the site, mods or some non-liberty related aspect of your life).

The Rand Paul forum is for supporting Rand Paul - constructive criticism is ok, but overt or excessive negative criticism is not welcome in that particular forum, however you will see it in other sections of the forum from some members.

"New Posts" button will show you all the new postings from all forums.

If you go to Settings -> Edit Profile and scroll to the bottom you can give yourself the "Stand With Rand" stamp that appears under your Join Date/Avatar.

tod evans
12-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Hi.

r3volution 3.0
12-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Banning usually occurs for insulting other members, excessive negativity, spamming, stalking, racism, overly lude/graphic content, posting in the wrong forums, creating sock-puppet accounts, etc, you will probably receive some type of warning first. You might wanna checkout the site's mission statement (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1957).

A couple quirks about the forum - there is a portion of the forum that is not visible for google searches and non-members including Hot Topics (9/11 and most conspiracy items end up here) and The Vent (venting about the site, mods or some non-liberty related aspect of your life).

The Rand Paul forum is for supporting Rand Paul - constructive criticism is ok, but overt or excessive negative criticism is not welcome in that particular forum, however you will see it in other sections of the forum from some members.

"New Posts" button will show you all the new postings from all forums.

If you go to Settings -> Edit Profile and scroll to the bottom you can give yourself the "Stand With Rand" stamp that appears under your Join Date/Avatar.

That one isn't enforced very strictly though.

To wit, dannno's still here.

Origanalist
12-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Welcome, and I don't think you would get banned for stating a opinion here. Everyone has one and I have never heard talk of shutting the site down.

angelatc
12-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Hey! Thanks for making the trip, we're happy you're here.

Sola_Fide
12-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Welcome.

The Northbreather
12-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Welcome!!!

wizardwatson
12-16-2015, 10:34 PM

When people get banned there's a lot of crying and drama, but oddly some of these weirdos feel the need to hug it out online. It's very sweet. Then they all come back and some shake it off, and some hold grudges.

As far as site going away, people actually pay for subscriptions to this site, if that gives you an idea. I just subscribed for first time and I've been here 8ish years.

I think ISIS will have to shut down the servers themselves if they make it this far.

wizardwatson
12-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Welcome bort! I recently was banned, and trust me, it was a frightening experience.

Have you met Danke yet?

Forged in the fires of affliction.

Isaiah 48:10 See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.

fisharmor
12-16-2015, 10:44 PM

The gift shop is out of Bort license plates.

silenced
12-17-2015, 10:59 PM
I, too, am new here from the Daily Paul. Like others, I registered with this place long ago but never posted. Anyhow, I've recently experienced some things and met some people that have renewed my passion for the liberty movement. I look forward to many productive interactions with everybody here.

Mani
12-23-2015, 12:08 AM
Hello old/new friends. Hello from the otherside.

Steve-in-NY
12-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Glad to see you all!

Suzanimal
12-23-2015, 05:14 PM
The gift shop is out of Bort license plates.

Yeah, but there may be a few key rings in the back.

I, too, am new here from the Daily Paul. Like others, I registered with this place long ago but never posted. Anyhow, I've recently experienced some things and met some people that have renewed my passion for the liberty movement. I look forward to many productive interactions with everybody here.

Welcome to you both. :)