PDA

View Full Version : FAA Announces Small UAS (drones) Registration Rule

Cabal
12-15-2015, 03:58 AM
Press Release – FAA Announces Small UAS Registration Rule (http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856&cid=TW378)

Registration Begins on December 21, 2015, First 30 Days are Free

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a streamlined and user-friendly web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms) including payloads such as on-board cameras.

The Registration Task Force delivered recommendations to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta and Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx on November 21. The rule incorporates many of the task force recommendations.

“Make no mistake: unmanned aircraft enthusiast are aviators, and with that title comes a great deal of responsibility,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “Registration gives us an opportunity to work with these users to operate their unmanned aircraft safely. I’m excited to welcome these new aviators into the culture of safety and responsibility that defines American innovation.”

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors. Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new streamlined, web-based system. Owners using the new streamlined web-based system must be at least 13 years old to register.

Owners may register through a web-based system at www.faa.gov/uas/registration

Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.

The normal registration fee is $5, but in an effort to encourage as many people as possible to register quickly, the FAA is waiving this fee for the first 30 days (from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan 20, 2016).

“We expect hundreds of thousands of model unmanned aircraft will be purchased this holiday season,” said FAA Administrator Huerta. “Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new airspace users before they fly so they know the airspace rules and understand they are accountable to the public for flying responsibly.”

The online registration system does not yet support registration of small UAS used for any purpose other than hobby or recreation – for example, using an unmanned aircraft in connection with a business. The FAA is developing enhancements that will allow such online registrations by spring of 2016.

The full rule can be viewed here: www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

I was about to get my cousin a fancy drone for Christmas this year, but now I'm not sure if I want to, or if I should.

XNavyNuke
12-15-2015, 07:01 AM
Short of requiring all manufacturers to serialize them like they do firearms, it's unclear how they would know if you failed to register them with the government. After an incident you could be charged with failure to register and pay the tax but that would do nothing to benefit the "safety" of the public, which is supposedly the reason that the flock needs this.

XNN

Zippyjuan
12-15-2015, 12:54 PM
When you register, they issue you a sticker with a number you are supposed to attach to you drone to prove it is registered. But you are right- it will never be checked unless you get in trouble with how you used your drone. "Bad people with drones" are probably not going to bother with registering them but "good people with drones" will send in their $5. Another "voluntary tax".

TheNewYorker
12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
So if I register my drone for $5 can I now use it for commercial use or is it hobby use only?

Edit: nope I see it's hobby only which is BS

So there goes my business of taking aerial shots of property for real estate agents

The fee for business use will probably be some exorbitant amount like $25000

Cabal
12-15-2015, 01:12 PM
So if I register my drone for $5 can I now use it for commercial use or is it hobby use only?

So there goes my business of taking aerial shots of property for real estate agents

As I understand it, this is only for recreational and hobby use. I'm sure commercial use will require even more hoops to jump through, and a greater fee to pay.

presence
12-15-2015, 01:46 PM

^^^ FREEDOM

Zippyjuan
12-15-2015, 01:51 PM
As I understand it, this is only for recreational and hobby use. I'm sure commercial use will require even more hoops to jump through, and a greater fee to pay.

I think "hobby" is determined by the size of the drone- not its ultimate use.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a streamlined and user-friendly web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms) including payloads such as on-board cameras.

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors. Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new streamlined, web-based system. Owners using the new streamlined web-based system must be at least 13 years old to register.

luctor-et-emergo
12-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Here in Europe or at least the Netherlands.. You have to register drones over 4kgs / 8lbs while it used to be a lot higher (over 100lbs I think, there's definitely some RC guys who will have to register their planes now).

For personal use you don't have to register anything under 4kg/8lbs. For commercial use you have to get licensed, do a test, have a second person next to you in order to operate (doesn't have to be licensed). And pay a 200 euro-ish fee.

Now a 250gram limit sounds very low.. You can't really fly outside in anything other than perfect weather with a 250gram or less drone. I've got one that's under that limit but I'm quite sure that even a small breeze would make it uncontrollable.

I do understand why drones have to be registered or at least people should be made clear what the dangers are. I've got a couple of friends who are pilots and most of them have encountered drones in ways they weren't comfortable with. The operators of such drones probably don't have a clue that they are forming a hazard for aircraft.

I think a 300ft or whatever limit would be much more useful as that would in most cases eliminate collision potential with (small)aircraft.

Anti Federalist
12-15-2015, 06:11 PM
And who voted for this?

Oh, yeah, right, how silly of me.

TheTexan
12-15-2015, 06:20 PM
This unregistered drone problem was getting out of control. I'm glad the FAA finally solved this problem. So many people were getting harmed by the lack of drone registration.

TheTexan
12-15-2015, 06:21 PM
And for $5 its a bargain

ghengis86
12-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Here in Europe or at least the Netherlands.. You have to register drones over 4kgs / 8lbs while it used to be a lot higher (over 100lbs I think, there's definitely some RC guys who will have to register their planes now).

For personal use you don't have to register anything under 4kg/8lbs. For commercial use you have to get licensed, do a test, have a second person next to you in order to operate (doesn't have to be licensed). And pay a 200 euro-ish fee.

Now a 250gram limit sounds very low.. You can't really fly outside in anything other than perfect weather with a 250gram or less drone. I've got one that's under that limit but I'm quite sure that even a small breeze would make it uncontrollable.

I do understand why drones have to be registered or at least people should be made clear what the dangers are. I've got a couple of friends who are pilots and most of them have encountered drones in ways they weren't comfortable with. The operators of such drones probably don't have a clue that they are forming a hazard for aircraft.

I think a 300ft or whatever limit would be much more useful as that would in most cases eliminate collision potential with (small)aircraft.

What about a no-fly radius around airports and a 300ft ceiling? That would be a common sense approach, which obviously can't be allowed. And they need more control. And your money. Submit or be smited

Henry Rogue
12-15-2015, 08:12 PM

I've had a drone for a few months now and have been asked by a Realtor about doing some aerial photography for her. Fortunately I have relatives with lots of open space to practice. I can travel a mile and a quater without venturing into neighbor's property.

ZENemy
12-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Government is basically a failed business that stays open via theft and murder.

echo echo echo

Henry Rogue
12-15-2015, 08:19 PM
What about a no-fly radius around airports and a 300ft ceiling? That would be a common sense approach, which obviously can't be allowed. And they need more control. And your money. Submit or be smited

My understanding is that the limit is 400 ft up from launch point. The application prevents the drone from going higher unless the application is overridden.

surf
12-16-2015, 12:41 PM
I have an ethical/legal question regarding drones:
if there is one over my property, can i/should i kill it? part of me is opposed to destruction of other folks property while part of me sees it as a potential solution to a noise/distraction/bother problem....

Cabal
12-16-2015, 12:46 PM
if there is one over my property, can i/should i kill it? part of me is opposed to destruction of other folks property while part of me sees it as a potential solution to a noise/distraction/bother problem....

How might you go about "killing it," exactly?

Tangentially, I wonder if this drone tech will open up more discussions (or laws) regarding air property rights over land.

surf
12-17-2015, 12:24 PM
How might you go about "killing it," exactly?

Tangentially, I wonder if this drone tech will open up more discussions (or laws) regarding air property rights over land.i'm thinking a broom handle if it's close, a well-thrown rock if it's a bit further away...

TheTexan
12-17-2015, 12:26 PM
if there is one over my property, can i/should i kill it?

It depends. Does it belong to the government?

Cabal
12-19-2015, 12:36 PM
FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available (http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/)

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

My confusion arose because of an apparent contradiction that a colleague pointed out to me between what the FAA stated in its FAQs on the new registration rule and what the Department of Transportation stated in a legal filing made at the same time as the FAA’s new rule was published. The FAA’s FAQs made it appear that only the FAA, its contractor and law enforcement agencies would have access to the data. Here is the FAA’s FAQ:

Who can see the data that I can enter?
A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

This led me – and many others I’ve spoken with – to believe that only these three entities would have access to registrants’ personal information. But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].” In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

So, I emailed DOT’s public affairs office to ask if they could clarify what information from the newly announced UAS registry will be made publicly available. Specifically I asked: “Will a hobby registrant’s name and home address be publicly releasable? Will the public be able to search the hobby registry for owner names and addresses by registration number?” I thought these were easy questions requiring simple yes or no answers. But apparently they weren’t that simple so my questions were referred to the FAA. An FAA spokesman wrote back: “Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice.”

Not considering this a clear answer, I replied, “my reading of the DOT policy is that if someone requests the name and address of a drone registrant the information will be released by the FAA. I don’t want to misstate what the FAA would do so I would appreciate your confirmation.”

The FAA responded that it would have the Chief Counsel’s Office again review my request. It seems the third time was a charm and I got an answer that may not make many hobbyists very happy.

Fortunately for hobby flyers, the Academy of Model Aeronautics announced to its members yesterday that it’s exploring all legal and political means to stop the registry. In the meanwhile, it’s asking its members to hold off registering. If you’re concerned about what data will be made publicly available, you might consider holding off registering to give the AMA a chance.

timosman
12-21-2015, 10:24 AM
FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available (http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/)

bump

Anti Federalist
12-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Fortunately for hobby flyers, the Academy of Model Aeronautics announced to its members yesterday that it’s exploring all legal and political means to stop the registry. In the meanwhile, it’s asking its members to hold off registering.

Amazing...model plane geeks with more balls than most.

I just went and renewed my membership with them after 20 years.

Last RC model I flew:

http://site.nitroplanes.com/cmpchipmunk3.jpg

Anti Federalist
12-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Attn Recreational Drone Owners: Your Personal Info Will Now Be Publicly Available To Anyone

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/faa-admits-drone-registrations-personal-information-publicly/#2oIugUFzJ3PMKxYH.99

The FAA has recently announced that drone owners will now be forced to register their devices with the government, and of course, pay a fee as well. The move has drawn criticism from hobbyists and drone owners throughout the country, who see the registration policy as a violation of their privacy and civil rights.

This week, the privacy concerns surrounding drone registration has grown with the FAA’s admission that the registration information would be available to anyone with an internet connection. This means that addresses and other sensitive personal information of drone owners would be publicly listed, creating an obvious safety hazard. The FAA says that the names and addresses would not be searchable, however, if you have the number to someone’s drone, you can easily pull up their address and other personal information.

When the registration was first announced, the FAA claimed that the information would be private, stating in their FAQ that, “The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.”

However, a line of fine print in the DOT filing admitted that “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”

The DOT filing also said that searching drone numbers would pull up the rest of the registration information. This way, if a drone was lost and ended up on someone’s property, they would be able to return it to the rightful owner. However, many have pointed out that this system is extremely vulnerable to corruption, and can actually pose a danger for the drone owner.

A journalist with Forbes emailed the FAA for clarification on the change of policy and they responded with a very evasive answer.

“All records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”

When asked specifically about the DOT filing the FAA spokesperson refused to comment. However, their answer was, at least, clear in the sense that registration numbers will be searchable, making addresses and other sensitive information public.

Drone registry will officially open on December 21st, 2015, and penalties for those who refuse to register will begin on February 19th, 2016.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics announced recently that they will be fighting the registrations, but this seems to be a move that the government is dead set on completing.