PDA

View Full Version : 3 letters to the editor in response to my RP editorial: 2 anti-RP and 1 pro-kucinich

madcat033
12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Okay, so last week I wrote an editorial in UCLA's Daily Bruin about Ron Paul. You can read it here:

http://www.dailybruin.com/news/2007/nov/28/ron-paul-would-bring-prosperity-back-america/

On Friday, there was an anti-RP letter to the editor, harping on his education stance, you can view it here: http://www.dailybruin.com/news/2007/nov/30/letters-editor/

Ron Paul would hurt education

Interestingly, what was missing from Stephen Campbell’s “Ron Paul would bring prosperity back to America” (Viewpoint, Nov. 28) was Paul’s stance on education. Perhaps that is because it is nothing; that is, he would have zero taxpayer resources go toward education.

The irony is that he and all the writers and many readers of the Daily Bruin attend or have attended a top-rated public school.

If UCLA’s public funds were diverted, UCLA students would suffer tuition increases as well as severe cutbacks in order for the university to remain a top-rated institution.

So, while Ron Paul may bring prosperity to some in America, that set does not include UCLA students.

Josh Hernandez

Graduate student, mathematics

Then, today there were TWO letters to the editor in response to my piece (since it's the last week of class, the newspaper only published on monday and today instead of everyday). You can view them here: http://www.dailybruin.com/news/2007/dec/06/letters-editor/

One of them was trying to copycat, saying "Kucinich is like RP but a dem!!!" trying to capitalize on the anti-republican atmosphere of a college campus. The other pretty much sums up EVERY anti-RP thing they've got. He pulled all the stops on this one:

Ron Paul is not so rock-solid

Stephen Campbell’s claim that Ron Paul is a man of rock-solid principles (“Ron Paul would bring prosperity back to America,” Viewpoint, Nov. 28) left me confused.

Paul is a supposed constitutionalist who opposes the separation of church and state. He is a supposed civil libertarian who opposes a woman’s right to choose.

He is a supposed non-isolationist, free market advocate who opposes the free movement of labor – dictated by market forces – across national borders.

Consider his devotion to abolish virtually every federal program, including those that give UCLA financial aid and research funding.

Or consider that, according to an article published in his newsletter in 1992, “We can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in (Washington, D.C.) are semi-criminal or entirely criminal,” and black teenage males convicted of crimes deserve harsher sentencing than their white counterparts because they are raised on the street and are as “tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such.”

Either these blatantly racially charged words were sanctioned by Paul, or he is too incompetent to run his own newsletter – much less our country.

Ray Huffaker

Graduate student, computer science

So, I guess we are a frontrunner now that people are taking shots at us so much? More name recognition at least?

madcat033
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh, I'm not going to bother responding... they won't be publishing any more newspapers until january, and plus I think I should just let these topics die cos they are worthless...

I really hate it when poeple spread misinformation, like Ron Paul is a racist or wants a theocracy, etc.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
that's why Kucinich is like not even 1% ha

tonyTheBest
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Just ignore them

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Kucinich supporters are funny.. they have like no chance in their own party, yet they feel compelled to raid websites with anti-RP comments. ha maybe they should think about winning their own primaries first?

Ron LOL
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
If these guys are graduate students, then their e-mail addresses are probably on some UCLA research group's website...

If anybody feels inclined to respond, of course :)