PDA

View Full Version : The POLITICO article turned this blimp skeptic into a blimp supporter

Pete Kay
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
This is not for the blimp forums. This is for all the blimp haters and critics out there. I was one too. I didn't like at all the direction that the blimp project was going. I was skeptical that the blimp was even worth flying. I thought it might be a huge waste of money. Then I read the POLITICO article. It has changed my mind completely. Now I am a supporter. If you think the blimp is doomed to failure or even if you hate the whole idea, just read the article. It is worth the quick few minutes of your time.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7245.html

I urge everyone to read the POLITICO article. It has given me insight into the blimp project that I was completely unaware of. I am sorry for being a doubter. There was serious miscommunication and misinformation before. I had no idea that the blimp project was so revolutionary nor did I have an understanding of FEC laws. The article opened my eyes.

wfd40
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Um... that is awesome!

Can't wait to see all of the pre-December-16th-YouTubes that Blimp "sightings" will spawn. This will totally bring a surge of new donors to the campaign.

:)

mrchubbs
12-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Yup... in this case (and in most others) "For Profit" is good. This is the "story" inside the larger story that will help it gain even more steam.

The Blimp is flying in the face of campaign finance laws, and I love it.

There's a revolution inside the revolution.

Thank you Politico!

slantedview
12-06-2007, 08:59 PM
This politico article is huge. THAT is why the blimp is great. It will be a self-perpetuating media... thing.

Nickel
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Sweet!

Adamsa
12-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I hated the idea, but the fact so much money has been raised for it has convinced me to go along.

Rons in ur sky, tellin u wht to do

Pete Kay
12-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Everyone, supporter or not, needs to take 5 minutes to read this article.

xexkxex
12-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Great article! :)

From article...

...the outside lawyer retained by blimp backers is former Federal Election Commission chairman Brad Smith, who is advising former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s rival bid for the GOP nomination.

That is interesting.... I did not know that.

literatim
12-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I have been a supporter of this since the person from the ex-Dean campaign said it was a good to motivate supporters with this type of thing.

wfd40
12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
I urge everyone to read the POLITICO article. It has given me insight into the blimp project that I was completely unaware of. I am sorry for being a doubter. There was serious miscommunication and misinformation before. I had no idea that the blimp project was so revolutionary nor did I have an understanding of FEC laws. The article opened my eyes.

no worries man! I was the same way about involving Guy Fawkes with December 5th and look how that turned out ;)

Long story short... never doubt the rocks that are rolling within the revolution... as I truly am starting to believe that higher forces are at work here (as silly as that may sound to some)

Paulite5112007
12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I was kinda 'meh' on the whole idea. Then I read that they formed a company and thought, 'that's interesting'. As each day passed I kept seeing the blimp come up. Now, I think that this will be the greatest idea that any political campaign has ever done. It's effect will never be duplicated because no one can ever be the first again. I can see this thing flying around and everyone who sees it, cant help but look at and talk to others about it. It will excite people. It will have them talking about Ron Paul. They may not even vote or care about Ron Paul...but they will be talking about him and people who do vote will hear it.

This week I became a full supporter and if I could donate the 5,000 to take a ride, I would.

Micahyah
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Remember, those of you who change your mind about the blimp (I did a few days ago), we still need $37,000 by tomorrow night! Go to the site and chip in. This WILL be a successful marketing campaign if we get it in the air on time!

Danny Molina
12-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Sweet!

Bloody Oath!

michaelwise
12-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Great article! :)

From article...

That is interesting.... I did not know that.

.Yes, and Mitt will probably be firing Brad any day now.

Mandrik
12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Haven't been a fan, but I've been quietly watching the progress. I gotta admit that in the past few days my doubts have started to fade a little. I'll probably donate some $ tomorrow, regardless of how reluctant I still am. The people have spoken, and I'd rather see this project be a success than a failure. It's at the "no turning back" point now.

Thanks for the link!

michaelwise
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
no worries man! I was the same way about involving Guy Fawkes with December 5th and look how that turned out ;)

Long story short... never doubt the rocks that are rolling within the revolution... as I truly am starting to believe that higher forces are at work here (as silly as that may sound to some)

Not silly at all. I also believe it.

Heather in WI
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow. I thought the blimp was silly at first. After reading this article, I think it's brilliant!!!

Dustancostine
12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
At first I like the idea of the blimp.

Then I was very upset with the bait and switch.

Then I supported it for unity.

Now I am fully behind it. F' the FEC.

castor
12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Why does it say at the end that the goal is to "make a profit" and to "sell their advertising services to other candidates"?

klamath
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Notice the little grudging respect of our movement in that second post. Keep the anger down and that respect could turn into what is known as the bandwagon.

wgadget
12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I just read it a few minutes ago, and although I just donated $50, now I'm really glad I did.

It will be going to The Boston Tea Party, the Super Bowl and God knows where else. And BLIMPS do get a lot of attention...especially one as cute as this one's gonna be!

Paulite5112007
12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Why does it say at the end that the goal is to "make a profit" and to "sell their advertising services to other candidates"?

Because they created a for-profit company...mainly to skirt campaign finance laws. But this will be a bigger F-U to the FEC if it makes money and in 4 years, all campaigns are using it.

steph3n
12-06-2007, 09:26 PM

because that is what companies do to stay in business, and this is an advertising business int he end not a PAC :D

(that is to show it has staying power, and not going to pump and dump everyone!)

maxbish
12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I was kinda 'meh' on the whole idea. Then I read that they formed a company and thought, 'that's interesting'. As each day passed I kept seeing the blimp come up. Now, I think that this will be the greatest idea that any political campaign has ever done. It's effect will never be duplicated because no one can ever be the first again. ...
This week I became a full supporter and if I could donate the 5,000 to take a ride, I would.

+1

I'll give tomorrow on pay day :D

Paulite5112007
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I just read it a few minutes ago, and although I just donated $50, now I'm really glad I did.

It will be going to The Boston Tea Party, the Super Bowl and God knows where else. And BLIMPS do get a lot of attention...especially one as cute as this one's gonna be!

Superbowl is in Arizona...not sure it could make it out here in time if its in NH on Jan. 8th.

MsDoodahs
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I have not followed the blimp idea at all. :o

This article is GREAT, and after reading it, I realize that for a mere $250, I can be part of flooding the FEC in paperwork.

That aspect alone is ... very appealing. :D

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Next time... just trust us old timers... we didn't steer this revolution in such a positive direction with stupid moves... we've been right on every time... we have a huge collection of great minds here... we are a force.

Its ok to question... but if you question, listen to the answer. Everything the article states were said in the debate stage of this idea... The trouble was started by imposters... and it generated a false state of hysteria which made it hard for information to get from us older members to the newer ones...

The stars are aligned for us.... I'm not much for divination, but geez, something is going on here!

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Notice the little grudging respect of our movement in that second post. Keep the anger down and that respect could turn into what is known as the bandwagon.

QFT. That is the wisdom of Sun Tzu.

Dustancostine
I bet it could make all of the Patriots playoff games in Boston though.

Wouldn't that be great a Ron Paul blimp at Patriot Football games. :)

wgadget
Can we digg the article somewhere?

More people need to read it.

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I have not followed the blimp idea at all. :o

This article is GREAT, and after reading it, I realize that for a mere $250, I can be part of flooding the FEC in paperwork.

That aspect alone is ... very appealing. :D

I know... that part alone is worth it.

peruvianRP
12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
daingit!
I think is a good idea. I though it was too late to do it but I guess we still can make this be the best shit ever.

Pete Kay
12-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Next time... just trust us old timers... we didn't steer this revolution in such a positive direction with stupid moves... we've been right on every time... we have a huge collection of great minds here... we are a force.

Its ok to question... but if you question, listen to the answer. Everything the article states were said in the debate stage of this idea... The trouble was started by imposters... and it generated a false state of hysteria which made it hard for information to get from us older members to the newer ones...

The stars are aligned for us.... I'm not much for divination, but geez, something is going on here!

I am sorry about doubting you guys. I didn't follow all the information about the switch from the PAC to the for profit and by the time I heard about it, false information was floating around like crazy. I thought this was just an act of greed. I didn't read all of the debates. There was so much anger and hostility, it was hard to make sense of what the real truth was. The POLITICO really shedded light onto this whole situation.

I also just paid for my first sponsorship with more to come every week. :)

Mandrik
12-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Rather than "I told you so's" shouldn't you be welcoming those who joined at the eleventh hour the same as those who joined at the first hour? Or something like that? (trying to pull out some Easter Sunday church stuff here).

:D

kevinblack
12-06-2007, 09:38 PM
I hope that everybody realizes that Trevor and company are putting:

Their Life, Their Fortunes, and their sacred honor On the line.

I would not be surprised if they end up broke and in jail and don't think for a minute that they are not aware of this. Remember what happened with the Ron Paul dollars.

They are my personal heros in this revolution.

orion846
12-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I hope that everybody realizes that Trevor and company are putting:

Their Life, Their Fortunes, and their sacred honor On the line.

I would not be surprised if they end up broke and in jail and don't think for a minute that they are not aware of this. Remember what happened with the Ron Paul dollars.

They are my personal heros in this revolution.

their fortunes? last i heard none of them donated any of their own money towards this start-up. and i doubt a locksmith had a FORTUNE to invest anyway.

i guess i'm the only one who has issue with - "He said the goal is to make a profit, then market similar services to supporters of other candidates. “It ain’t nothing like a PAC,” he said. “This is a business.” - that's the problem right there. his for profit business (that'll cater to other runners) being created on ron paul supporter dollars.

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Rather than "I told you so's" shouldn't you be welcoming those who joined at the eleventh hour the same as those who joined at the first hour? Or something like that? (trying to pull out some Easter Sunday church stuff here).

Didn't mean it to be mean and malicious, but a "remember for next time" trust.

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:42 PM
their fortunes? last i heard none of them donated any of their own money towards this start-up. and i doubt a locksmith had a FORTUNE to invest anyway.

i guess i'm the only one who has issue with - "He said the goal is to make a profit, then market similar services to supporters of other candidates. “It ain’t nothing like a PAC,” he said. “This is a business.” - that's the problem right there. his for profit business (that'll cater to other runners) being created on ron paul supporter dollars.

They aren't getting paid for there work until the blimp is up in the air, so all the work they are doing is a sacrifice of their fortune... and if the blimp fails, their risk.... is to loose their fortune.

Pete Kay
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM

I didn't take it in any mean or malicious way.

Mandrik
12-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Don't sweat it, I was just giving you a hard time. I'm dropping $20 tomorrow after I get paid. I still don't think it's the greatest idea, but I'd honestly rather have someone give me a real "I told you so" than for this to flop.

HOLLYWOOD
I bet it could make all of the Patriots playoff games in Boston though.

Wouldn't that be great a Ron Paul blimp at Patriot Football games. :)

A true Patriot... silenced by the Patriot Act!

That my 8th Regiment Continental Army uniform... pretty much the uniform for most of the northern campaigns, including MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA... and of course, YORKTOWN, VA

whatcha think?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/Me_Georgeonthe4TH.jpg

steph3n

did you leave your job to bust your chops on the ground in NH?

If not then you have NO RIGHT to complain, because that is exactly what Trevor is doing along with some other great americans from Google!

orion846
They aren't getting paid for there work until the blimp is up in the air, so all the work they are doing is a sacrifice of their fortune... and if the blimp fails, their risk.... is to loose their fortune.

WHAT fortune? wtf are you even talking about? the best i can discern from your post is that they're risking not getting paid for 2-3 weeks of work. i guess that sucks a bit, but let's not call 2-3 weeks of $500/week a FORTUNE THEYRE OMG RISKING! that's the kind of exaggeration that got us into iraq and almost got us into iran. you're a RP supporter, you're supposed to be better than that.

Pete Kay
12-06-2007, 09:47 PM

They are only for profit at 1 percent. That's it. You have to see that's not going to make them rich. Please think about the impact that the blimp is already having and it hasn't even launched yet. Please help out. We need to make this a success. I felt the same way you do, but I have turned around. I hope you do to.

Naraku
12-06-2007, 09:47 PM
This actually interested me:

He said the goal is to make a profit, then market similar services to supporters of other candidates. “It ain’t nothing like a PAC,” he said. “This is a business.”

So I wonder if that means they're using the Ron Paul Blimp like a trial run to see if it works and then market it to other politicians or political groups, once the election is over of course. ;)

I didn't realize any individual contributions under $250 didn't need to be reported either.

orion846
12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
did you leave your job to bust your chops on the ground in NH?

If not then you have NO RIGHT to complain, because that is exactly what Trevor is doing along with some other great americans from Google!

link me to the CNN article that talks about trevor leaving his music job and being anywhere near NH phsyically. way i read it he's in an internet cafe in florida.

steph3n
WHAT fortune? wtf are you even talking about? the best i can discern from your post is that they're risking not getting paid for 2-3 weeks of work. i guess that sucks a bit, but let's not call 2-3 weeks of $500/week a FORTUNE THEYRE OMG RISKING! that's the kind of exaggeration that got us into iraq and almost got us into iran. you're a RP supporter, you're supposed to be better than that.

please learn before you speak.
Trevor is working canvasing NH knocking door to door daily after leaving his job to do this task. I confirmed he was still there working this TODAY.

Now I know if I ever need a job I can find one at politico they need great analyst like me :D

they need to hire me to work at politico, since someone is stealing my comments anyway!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...10&postcount=6
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...88&postcount=9

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...7&postcount=33

seems I was at least 6 days ahead of them

ronpaulitician
Early doubter, late believer. Just hope I'll be able to figure out how to use Google CheckOut of find time to wire funds tomorrow.

steph3n
link me to the CNN article that talks about trevor leaving his music job and being anywhere near NH phsyically. way i read it he's in an internet cafe in florida.

He's in Manchester, NH.

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:49 PM
A true Patriot... silenced by the Patriot Act!

That my 8th Regiment Continental Army uniform... pretty much the uniform for most of the northern campaigns, including MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA... and of course, YORKTOWN, VA

whatcha think?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/Me_Georgeonthe4TH.jpg

Yes, but put the beer in a wooden mug or tin tankard.

kevinblack

Orion, you have either not read the politico article or you are here to troll.
What they are doing has a good chance of ending up with an FBI raid and hundred of thousands of dollars in court charges. Yes, they are risking their fortunes.

orion846
btw whoever's name is torchsomething, i bookmarked your 'i told you so' reply so that i can quote it in 2 weeks when MSM has completely lost interest (assuming this happens at all, still to be determined)

steph3n
This actually interested me:

So I wonder if that means they're using the Ron Paul Blimp like a trial run to see if it works and then market it to other politicians or political groups, once the election is over of course. ;)

I didn't realize any individual contributions under $250 didn't need to be reported either.

They are a business and businesses are there to make money, they aren't to be a one hit wonder :D

Imagine mini blimps for your local liberty minded candidate for state senate.......I like :D

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 09:50 PM

Personally, if i took three weeks off of work, i'd loose my home.

orion846
12-06-2007, 09:51 PM
i read the politico, and i'm not a "troll" in that i'm here to sabotage RP. i'm a huge RP supporter and i will peak at my 2300 possible donations on dec16. i just am yet to be convinced that this project will actually be money wisely spent, and i still have my doubts about the intentions of the leadership of this project.

Revolution9
12-06-2007, 09:54 PM
btw whoever's name is torchsomething, i bookmarked your 'i told you so' reply so that i can quote it in 2 weeks when MSM has completely lost interest (assuming this happens at all, still to be determined)

Yer a snarky little fuck with a lipyard full of drivelesque miasma.. Everyone else can ignore you. I am gonna start crimping yer tades junior.

Sargeant At Arms
Randy

steph3n
12-06-2007, 09:54 PM
i read the politico, and i'm not a "troll" in that i'm here to sabotage RP. i'm a huge RP supporter and i will peak at my 2300 possible donations on dec16. i just am yet to be convinced that this project will actually be money wisely spent, and i still have my doubts about the intentions of the leadership of this project.

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=52105

Trevor knocking on doors in NH.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20071204/ts_csm/apaulsurge_1

again.....

http://www.freestateproject.org/news/releases/fsp_reaches_500_movers

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/12/03/ron_paul/

IS THAT ENOUGH to make you believe he has left miami and moved to NH to knock on doors and win NH for Dr Paul? Is that not giving up your "fortune" and livelihood for a cause? Come on man.....

kevinblack
12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Orion,
I have just looked at some of your posts, I apologize you are definitelly not trolling.

If the problem is that you are concerned with whether the money will be wisely spent, would not donating be a solution?

I am flying to boston on the 15th, if the blimp is there I will go NUTS!

Pete Kay
12-06-2007, 09:57 PM

I did too. I changed my mind though. I saw an interview with Trevor in New Hampshire and that made me feel better about him, but the POLITICO article really made me support the blimp project.

Please be aware that they are only making 1 percent profit and it looks doubftful that they will make any money at the rate it is going now. More likely he will be in huge finacial debt.

orion846
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Yer a snarky little fuck with a lipyard full of drivelesque miasma.. Everyone else can ignore you. I am gonna start crimping yer tades junior.

Sargeant At Arms
Randy

i have no fucking idea what you're talking about.... but i feel attacked all the same.... well played sir....

disciple
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Last night, when I went to bed, I prayed to God to bring this project to fruition. I have almost given up hope for all the doubts and the mistrusts. All I can say now: Thank you God.

Revolution9
12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Tone it down Rev

slantedview
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Last night, when I went to bed, I prayed to God to bring this project to fruition. I have almost given up hope for all the doubts and the mistrusts. All I can say now: Thank you God.

orion846
No..you ain't a troll. yer just a pompous fool stuck on autoblither. I am amused that each one of you clowns with a gambit who tries to waltz through here drooldonkeying away has contributed or gonna contribute to the max. Frankly yer full of sh=it. Second.. stuff yer cash where the sun don't shine sonny boy. Tossing a few bucks around,, if ya ever did , don't give you license to brickyard your bluster around here. The negative lustre of your vitepurative efffulgences left lying around in text form have all the signatures of a disgruntled gasbag.

HTH
Randy

ROFL wtf is this guy saying? anyone translate please? little help.

Revolution9
i have no fucking idea what you're talking about.... but i feel attacked all the same.... well played sir....

Stop attacking and casting slanderous aspersions. Simple.

Randy

orion846
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Stop attacking and casting slanderous aspersions. Simple.

Randy

I CANNOT COMPETE! you win! i withdraw from this thread! good day sir!

philistineau
12-06-2007, 10:04 PM
ROFL wtf is this guy saying? anyone translate please? little help.

Essentially, your posts on this topic are much like sharts. Initially mildly offensive and partly amusing, but then abruptly turning to annoying the sh!t out of some of us.

philistineau
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I maintain my support for the dirigible.

It is BLIMPTASTIC.

rrroae
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I still hate it just like I hated dec 5 and soon to be Dec 16. Bunch of crazy hooligans wanting a blimp. Who ever heard of a darn blimp being used for a pres. candidate. Think y'all should spend some time in the nuthouse just for thinking of the idea.

..and the only reason I donated was to show all of you crazy freedom lovers just how insane this idea is.

Paulenburg - who ever heard of such a thing.

autobot
12-06-2007, 10:11 PM

You are so full of yourself! Oldtimers--give me a break! How old is this forum? Are you going by the amount of needless posts you make or what? Just trust us....Hmmm.. sounds pretty fishy. Just trust us with vast amounts of money. "Its ok to ask a question" thanks for permission torchbearer. Why don't you go start your little cult elsewhere. Ron Paul is a critical thinker and so are his supporters. Question, but listen to the answer? Who are you Warren Jeffs?

nathanmn
12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I actually became a supporter when the first article making fun of the idea came out. That made me realize how brilliant the idea was. With the needed changes and all of the arguing and bickering I lost some trust in the idea, but in the end everything came together real well. I proudly donated yesterday, and have spread the good word. The politico article just makes me feel that much better about the whole thing. It is reassuring and lets us know that we have taken a good course.

This is at least the second time we've learned this lesson. When the group gets a great idea we need to run with it and ignore the negativity. Every idea gets a little over hyped, but I think this will be overwhelmingly successful. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the brave men and women that wouldn't give up on this idea and fought all of the negativity. You(we) ROCK.

Naraku
12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Digg it!

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_blimp_charts_unprecedented_course

RonPaulJunkie
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Ok, I've been turned. Just put in $50. I can see how this will be big. :)

acstichter
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I hope all these supporters don't get arrested for election fraud. Seems like no one knows how well this goes around the rules. Seems to me like wordplay: "sponsor" vs "donor". You know what else is for profit? TV stations. And if we want to buy more than $250 worth of commercials we have to form a PAC. I just hope that the one form everyone is submitting is correct.

Congratulations to the guy who owns the blimp company and found a way to earn off the rEVOLution. I truly hope I'm wrong about all this.

tremendoustie
12-06-2007, 10:52 PM
You need to form a PAC to cooperatively by an ad, but individuals can spend as much as they want independently (e.g. the USA today ad), as long as they file a form with the FEC, which is what this project will require for expenditures over $250.

torchbearer
12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I hope all these supporters don't get arrested for election fraud. Seems like no one knows how well this goes around the rules. Seems to me like wordplay: "sponsor" vs "donor". You know what else is for profit? TV stations. And if we want to buy more than $250 worth of commercials we have to form a PAC. I just hope that the one form everyone is submitting is correct.

Congratulations to the guy who owns the blimp company and found a way to earn off the rEVOLution. I truly hope I'm wrong about all this.

50,000 people off to gitmo. Mitt better do more than double it.

acstichter
12-06-2007, 10:56 PM
You need to form a PAC to cooperatively by an ad, but individuals can spend as much as they want independently (e.g. the USA today ad), as long as they file a form with the FEC, which is what this project will require for expenditures over $250.

Sounds good. The article made it sound so new and different. Not the same as what every other media buy requires every election.

castor
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I am worried that this new kind of political venture will allow wealthy special interests to use this method to start purchasing massive amounts of advertising for their candidate. Am I missing something here or is this giving the wealthy another loophole to further shove what they want down our throats?

literatim
12-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Commercials are different because then we are the ones buying the advertising, not selling it. This is closer to if we started a Ron Paul TV Network and sold time slots for advertisements.

NewEnd
12-06-2007, 11:16 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

NewEnd
12-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I am worried that this new kind of political venture will allow wealthy special interests to use this method to start purchasing massive amounts of advertising for their candidate. Am I missing something here or is this giving the wealthy another loophole to further shove what they want down our throats?

Liek who? Like how?
Wealthy individuals have always been allowed to buy as much airtime or billoards or signs as they wanted for a particular candidate.

steph3n
12-06-2007, 11:17 PM

I prefer free speech for all!!!

Mark Rushmore
12-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those guys that was for the blimp before I was against the blimp. But seeing the dollars struggle along and keeping an eye to the sky:

GO BLIMP GO!

castor
12-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Liek who? Like how?
Wealthy individuals have always been allowed to buy as much airtime or billoards or signs as they wanted for a particular candidate.

I was thinking before they were limited to PAC's @ $5000 for a fund raiser or something.

Now can't they just hold another fundraiser allowing each person to donate like a million or some ridiculous number? Unlikely but who knows.

(I have no rational basis to make any claims on this. I'm just trying to understand what they are actually doing by offering up possible situations.)

dante
12-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Guys for one I think that they have to post that they are looking to make a profit and sell advertising to other candidates as part of the 'for-profit' PAC/FEC regulation workaround they are running here.

Secondly they aren't even making a dime in salary until the blimp has been paid for. Thus if you don't think they should make a salary or profit don't buy any more advertising after the blimp has been paid for.

hawks4ronpaul
12-06-2007, 11:33 PM
If they cannot dump loose tea, can they drop a buoyant tea crate to be recovered by a boat?

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

steph3n
12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
I was thinking before they were limited to PAC's @ $5000 for a fund raiser or something.

Now can't they just hold another fundraiser allowing each person to donate like a million or some ridiculous number? Unlikely but who knows.

(I have no rational basis to make any claims on this. I'm just trying to understand what they are actually doing by offering up possible situations.)

no it is $5000 per year only for a multi candidate PAC, single candidate PAC is just like giving to the main campaign and is a......hinderance.

gerryb
12-07-2007, 12:39 AM

Because there are going to be a lot of Ron Paul Republicans running for office that will need the full support of the grassroots.

Revolutn
12-07-2007, 12:53 AM
w00t what a good article.

Thanks for the find!

Rev

ReallyNow
12-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I am still on record as being completely opposed to this idea and this article didn't change my mind about the motives behind this business venture. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if this thing turns out to be a good thing for Ron Paul -- not Trevor or Elijah or whomever -- but Ron Paul.

NewEnd
12-07-2007, 01:04 AM
I am still on record as being completely opposed to this idea and this article didn't change my mind about the motives behind this business venture. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if this thing turns out to be a good thing for Ron Paul -- not Trevor or Elijah or whomever -- but Ron Paul.

I hear words are great with a salad dressing.

Do you prefer Ranch or Bleu cheese?

steph3n
12-07-2007, 01:04 AM

ok great I will have the can of alphabet soup ready!

rasheedwallace
12-07-2007, 01:08 AM
but will we have the dough...?

Lord Xar
12-07-2007, 01:52 AM
this thing all sounds great, and I hope it works and does everything it intends to do. I really do.

But this last line sorta irritates me, not because it is true - and fine. As a business,you should be able to make money. BUT, the notables who are behind the awesome fundraising for Ron Paul grassroots could possibly be working for other candidates, which sets up a complete conflict of interests.

'He said the goal is to make a profit, then market similar services to supporters of other candidates. “It ain’t nothing like a PAC,” he said. “This is a business.”'

NewEnd
12-07-2007, 02:09 AM
But this last line sorta irritates me, not because it is true - and fine. As a business,you should be able to make money. BUT, the notables who are behind the awesome fundraising for Ron Paul grassroots could possibly be working for other candidates, which sets up a complete conflict of interests.

You know, and I know, the purpose of this company. The FEC does not know. ;)

I am sure the FEC would love to pin some shit on them, because the FEC is about the status quo, like every other government agency.

Energy
12-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Made front page DIGG:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_blimp_charts_unprecedented_course

fcofer
12-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Okay, I have been sitting on the fence up to now. I have never gone so far as to publicly denigrate the blimp idea, because I have always kept in mind that I could be wrong (I had the same feeling about Nov 5th), and I was worried about the legitimacy of the organization. So, I just decided privately not to contribute.

Well, my mind has finally been changed. I now endorse the Blimp! So for all of you forumgoers who have been waiting patiently for my opinion, let me announce to you that it is now time to contribute!

Pete Kay
12-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Okay, I have been sitting on the fence up to now. I have never gone so far as to publicly denigrate the blimp idea, because I have always kept in mind that I could be wrong (I had the same feeling about Nov 5th), and I was worried about the legitimacy of the organization. So, I just decided privately not to contribute.

Well, my mind has finally been changed. I now endorse the Blimp! So for all of you forumgoers who have been waiting patiently for my opinion, let me announce to you that it is now time to contribute!

I am glad that you have, like me, changed your mind and became a supporter of this project.

I hope there are no more doubters out there. This blimp is becoming what all the blimp lovers said it would be. The thing hasn't even launched yet and it's getting mainstream press. Everyone that still has doubt about the blimp has to see that this thing is going to be a success.

RonPaulFTFW
12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
The blimp is an example of the free market Ron Paul wants.

It's a symbol of his ideals.

It's perfect.

xerxesdarius
12-07-2007, 01:02 PM
this thing all sounds great, and I hope it works and does everything it intends to do. I really do.

'He said the goal is to make a profit, then market similar services to supporters of other candidates. “It ain’t nothing like a PAC,” he said. “This is a business.”'

These types of statements are NECESSARY. The FEC is going to want to say that it really is a PAC, not an ongoing, profit-seeking concern. It is extremely savvy of them to set it up the way it has been, and to say that they are offering their services to all campaigns. This cannot be a "wink-wink" PAC. The FEC will make their best argument that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

Let me repeat, this is good lawyering, nothing more...

JaylieWoW
12-07-2007, 01:15 PM
The line that did it all for me:

“It’s a whole new way of presenting opportunities to individual people to be able to participate in elections in a way they’ve never really done before.”

It will be interesting, however, to see if this is ever effectively used in a top down campaign. I rather suspect that unless the campaign has a bottom up model, it likely will never work. But, you never know what kinds of ideas people can come up with!

JaylieWoW
12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh and another note I don't think has been mentioned (or maybe it has I didn't necessarily read all the posts before mine)...

I'd like to predict an apoplexy attack for McCain once he gets wind of the "blimp". HA HA!! (The ha ha is not to say I WANT McCain to have a stroke, but rather HA HA, try to curb freedom of speech and the masses will always find a way around you!!) Any bets on what shade of red his face turns? RBG Values? I'd put my money on the solid 255,0,0.

Free market at its best, no matter how heavy governments try to regulate free trade and exchange of ideas, human action ALWAYS finds a way! :p