PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh- Poll: Most Americans say send ground troops to fight ISIS

Warlord
12-07-2015, 11:38 AM
War is popular. it explains why Rand isn't doing well

---

Washington (CNN)While President Barack Obama addressed the nation on ISIS and terrorism Sunday night, a new CNN/ORC Poll (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/12/06/rel12d.-.obama.isis.pdf) finds Americans increasingly displeased with the President's handling of terrorism and more willing to send U.S. ground troops into the fight against ISIS.

For the first time in CNN/ORC polling, a majority of Americans (53%) say the U.S. should send ground troops to Iraq or Syria to fight ISIS. At the same time, 6-in-10 disapprove of the President's handling of terrorism and 68% say America's military response to the terrorist group thus far has not been aggressive enough.

On ground troops, 36% of leaned Democrats think the United States should send ground troops into combat operations against ISIS forces in Iraq or Syria, compared with 69% of leaned Republicans.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/06/politics/isis-obama-poll/index.html?eref=edition

Ronin Truth
12-07-2015, 11:42 AM
So send those polled most Amerikans over there with rifles, that should just clean it all up, this week.

The Northbreather
12-07-2015, 11:49 AM
I gotta get away from the mass of morons.

Zippyjuan
12-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Assuming that you want to have any effect in Syria (which is a different question), bombs alone won't do the job. Somebody referred to it as "mowing the grass". The bombs clean a small patch and it grow back. Somebody has to occupy the space to keep them from moving back into it.

enhanced_deficit
12-07-2015, 11:53 AM
This is bad news for enemies of ISIS in Syria.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?486289-Is-America-Fighting-a-Phony-War-on-ISIS&

Dec 7 2015, 7:56 am ET
Syria Accuses U.S.-Led Coalition of Bombing Its Troops

Syrian President Bashar Assad's government accused the U.S.-led coalition of bombing an army camp and killing three soldiers. A spokesman for the coalition denied the claim on Monday.
The Syrian government said three soldiers were killed and 13 were wounded in the attack, which it called an act of aggression. The jets fired nine missiles at the camp in Deir el-Zour province on Sunday night, Syria's Foreign Ministry said in a statement flashed on state television.
It is the first publicly declared incident of its type since the United States and allied countries began bombing the ISIS in Syria more than a year ago.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isi...troops-n475321

Assuming that you want to have any effect in Syria (which is a different question), bombs alone won't do the job. Somebody referred to it as "mowing the grass". The bombs clean a small patch and it grow back. Somebody has to occupy the space to keep them from moving back into it.

We have a good model in front of US to follow, Israel's occupying of the space with Palestinian fighters/families and regular "mowing the grass" in that space has created wonderful results for them and those who stand with them. Won't you agree?

cajuncocoa
12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
I gotta get away from the mass of morons.
and go where? There are morons everywhere.

Warlord
12-07-2015, 11:55 AM

We're doomed cajun

jmdrake
12-07-2015, 12:00 PM

I got a crazy idea. Since ISIS is fighting the Syrian army, help the Syrian army and let them be the boots on the ground!

Warlord
12-07-2015, 12:02 PM
I got a crazy idea. Since ISIS is fighting the Syrian army, help the Syrian army and let them be the boots on the ground!

Careful jmdrake. Zippyjuan is a troll who wants permanent occupancy of the Middle East

Zippyjuan
The US Government is currently favoring using the Kurds for that purpose. But one should note that calls for Assad to be removed from power significantly dropped off after the rise of ISIS in the region. His removal would benefit ISIS.

Zippyjuan
Careful jmdrake. Zippyjuan is a troll who wants permanent occupancy of the Middle East

Link?

Warlord
12-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Link?

so you don't think US troops should be on the ground in Syria?

jmdrake
12-07-2015, 12:13 PM
War is popular. it explains why Rand isn't doing well

The issue isn't that war is popular, it's that fear is palpable. And the only solace to a fearful public is giving them concrete steps about what you are going to do about the problem. It doesn't matter if what you are going to do couldn't possibly work. It's the placebo effect. I said months ago Rand should say that we should bomb ISIS oil. Guess what? Britain is now bombing ISIS oil fields. Trump gets to take credit for it and Rand doesn't. Ron Paul voted to bomb Al Qaeda in Afghanistan but I get attacked for saying Rand should at least have considered taking out ISIS ability to make money from oil? Okay. Well wise guys come up with your own concrete solutions. Putting pressure on Turkey to reign in their own border and stop ISIS funding? Putting pressure on the Saudis to stop ISIS funding? Arming the Kurds? (Rand did eventually say that). Rand needs to develop a concrete plan to defeat ISIS in 6 months that doesn't involve ground troops and put it out there. Item #1 is to declare the Free Syrian Army and their supporters to be enemies of the United States. Item #2 is to coordinate the war against ISIS with France and Russia. Item #3 is to do everything possible to dry up ISIS funding. Item #4 is that any military aged "refugees" who want to come over hear should be equipped and trained and sent back to fight under French command and they have to be implanted with tracker chips and go-pro cameras so that can see for sure that they are fighting against ISIS and not with ISIS. Item # 5 is that we should carpet bomb the area where ISIS is operating with pigs blood and used tampons so these devote Muslims will go screaming off in terror.

Okay, 1 or 2 of those items were facetious. But you get my point I hope.

jmdrake
12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
The US Government is currently favoring using the Kurds for that purpose. But one should note that calls for Assad to be removed from power significantly dropped off after the rise of ISIS in the region. His removal would benefit ISIS.

Oh really? John Kerry is still calling for the removal of Assad saying that's the only way to beat ISIS. So is Hitlery Clinton. So is Barack Obama. So is John McCain. So is Lindsey Graham. So is Marco Rubio.

jllundqu
12-07-2015, 12:18 PM

So go ahead, then Zip! I did my two tours in Iraq... send us a postcard.

Nevermind that pesky thing like a declaration of war and the constitution.... don't need those relics anymore. :rolleyes:

Zippyjuan
12-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Oh really? John Kerry is still calling for the removal of Assad saying that's the only way to beat ISIS. So is Hitlery Clinton. So is Barack Obama. So is John McCain. So is Lindsey Graham. So is Marco Rubio.

Kerry was calling for a "coalition" including Russia to fight ISIS and then ask for Assad removed after Syria has been stabilized.

Zippyjuan
12-07-2015, 12:22 PM
So go ahead, then Zip! I did my two tours in Iraq... send us a postcard.

Nevermind that pesky thing like a declaration of war and the constitution.... don't need those relics anymore. :rolleyes:

I am not calling for the US to do it.

The Northbreather
12-07-2015, 12:24 PM

True but many other places don't their military constantly making their citizens unsafe by creating enemies worldwide from constant war

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2015, 12:27 PM
That is how 'progress' is had.