PDA

View Full Version : White House Mulls Making Women Eligible for Military Draft

charrob
12-05-2015, 10:38 PM
White House Mulls Making Women Eligible for Military Draft (http://news.antiwar.com/2015/12/04/white-house-mulls-making-women-eligible-for-military-draft/)

Carter Urges 'Review' of Law Based on Growing Role on Women

Following the Pentagon’s decision to allow women into all combat roles, the White House has confirmed they are considering changes to the Selective Service Act to force women to register for future military drafts (http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/12/04/white-house-says-it-is-reviewing-the-draft).

Under the current law, all men have to register for the draft at age 18, and can be called through age 26, but has not actually conscripted any into military service since December of 1972. Women are not required to register.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter is apparently the one that’s been pushing this “review,” citing the growing role of women in the military, and the new decision to put them in all combat roles. Congress is waiting for a Pentagon report on the usefulness of conscripting women.

Reps. Duncan Hunter (R – CA) and Charles Rangel (D – NY) are both urging the extension of the law to include women, with Hunter citing the possibility of World War III, and Rangel just supporting reinstating the draft universally and immediately.

Rep. Mike Coffman (R – CO), on the other hand, says the Selective Service system is a waste of money, and instead of expanding it to include women, this would be a good opportunity to just scrap it entirely, saying if there was a sudden need for a draft in the future it would be easy enough to pass a new version.

Schifference
12-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Equal Rights

charrob
12-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Equal Rights

-right. Equal rights to slaughter and be slaughtered for U.S. corporate profit and shifty special interests. :(

timosman
12-06-2015, 12:51 AM
Equal Rights

Nicely done! :eek:

Danke
12-06-2015, 01:47 AM
What could go wrong?

TheNewYorker
12-06-2015, 06:04 AM
They know something big is coming and will need every man and woman they can get.

RonPaulIsGreat
12-06-2015, 07:12 AM
There'll be an exception if there is a child, and preference will be given to the mother if the child is under 5 years old is my guess, so effectively no female draft even if one on paper. Believe me, if WWIII really hit the fan and a draft was coming, there would be more pregnant women than after WWII, and if the war dragged longer than 5 years, guess what happens around 4 and half years, whoops pregnant again!! "Sorry, I really wanted to die for my country, but I'm pregnant again!"

Ronin Truth
12-06-2015, 08:04 AM
What military draft? :eek: Another one of those unCONstitutional 'involuntary servitude' ones? :p

alucard13mm
12-06-2015, 09:43 AM
There'll be an exception if there is a child, and preference will be given to the mother if the child is under 5 years old is my guess, so effectively no female draft even if one on paper. Believe me, if WWIII really hit the fan and a draft was coming, there would be more pregnant women than after WWII, and if the war dragged longer than 5 years, guess what happens around 4 and half years, whoops pregnant again!! "Sorry, I really wanted to die for my country, but I'm pregnant again!"

That darn biology in the way.

TomtheTinker
12-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm against the idea of the draft of any kind for so many obvious reasons it's not even worth mentioning.

All my anti war principles set a side.. fighting a war is a mans job. Leave our sisters, mothers and daughters alone!

Zippyjuan
12-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Saw "Carter" and "Whitehouse" and thought the story was from the 70's. As long as the military is able to get enough people to volunteer to join, there won't be any draft. Last one was in 1972.

euphemia
12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
I almost think it would be better for every 18yo to have two years of military training and service before they go to college. It would sure cut out a lot of the politically correct nonsense we pay for on campuses now.

Israel has had mandatory military service for young men and women for over 60 years, and they do combat jobs. I met two women in their late 70s who were from Israel. They were in a tank unit back in the day. I was like, "You go, girls."

Danke
12-06-2015, 03:45 PM
I almost think it would be better for every 18yo to have two years of military training and service before they go to college. It would sure cut out a lot of the politically correct nonsense we pay for on campuses now.

Israel has had mandatory military service for young men and women for over 60 years, and they do combat jobs. I met two women in their late 70s who were from Israel. They were in a tank unit back in the day. I was like, "You go, girls."

You don't have to parallel park a tank.

timosman
12-06-2015, 03:49 PM

This may beg a question: How many people have you killed before going to college? :D

euphemia
12-06-2015, 03:56 PM
This may beg a question: How many people have you killed before going to college? :D

None. And I'm not saying I believe any of that. Any man who turned 18 in 1974 had to register for the draft, so I remember it well. I had one cousin and a brother who were never eligible for any of that, but all the rest were, and my dad served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He and his nephew were over there at the same time.

War stinks. I'm just saying that we can't on the one hand claim all people are equal, and then say some aren't going to be eligible for Selective Service, or that Americans are different than other countries who require military service for all. And we can't say that our freedoms are without cost to anyone who wants them. Part of the reason we are in the mess we're in is because nobody wants to pay the price.

phill4paul
12-06-2015, 04:00 PM

And those that are unqualified should do civil service. Obama would be proud of you!

phill4paul
12-06-2015, 04:09 PM
None. And I'm not saying I believe any of that. Any man who turned 18 in 1974 had to register for the draft, so I remember it well. I had one cousin and a brother who were never eligible for any of that, but all the rest were, and my dad served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He and his nephew were over there at the same time.

War stinks. I'm just saying that we can't on the one hand claim all people are equal, and then say some aren't going to be eligible for Selective Service, or that Americans are different than other countries who require military service for all. And we can't say that our freedoms are without cost to anyone who wants them. Part of the reason we are in the mess we're in is because nobody wants to pay the price.

Seems you have a case of the "uhh-RAAHHs." Any man that turns 18 has to register for selective service. I wonder how they will make it seem "fair" the next time a draft comes around? Random drawings of the last number of your "Social Security?" Unless you are in college, pregnant, a Congress-critters son.
If you go to war, go on your own volition. Anyone that mandates going to war on their behalf is better served, by liberty, by going to war against them.

euphemia
12-06-2015, 04:27 PM
No, that's not the meaning of what I said. Read it again. I said that any man who turned 18 in 1974 had to immediately register for the draft. Guys who stayed in high school got a deferrment until they graduated [many others were exempt for medical and other reasons, and many went to college to avoid the draft]. An actual draft number happened every year when they held a televised lottery. Birthdates were drawn. So draft number 1 might have been September 10, or something like that. Then they drew another birthdate. At certain points in the year, they would say numbers one through thirty report for duty, then those men would have the choice to enlist in the branch of their choice or be drafted into the army.

Nobody wanted to be drafted, or to have family or friends drafted. We were at war. Some of those men were going to die. Technically, it was an armed conflict, but there you go. Those prisoners were called Prisoners of War, so I don't know how different a conflict was from a war.

Having spent the bulk of my life without a parent because of the military, I'm not a hater, but I'm not a big fan of it, either, especially not the way we do things now.

I'm saying that if we believe all are equal, and if there is to be a draft, then everyone below a certain age should be eligible, and they should be eligible for any and all positions. Other nations do it, and if we are going to support this forced equality (again, not a fan), then let that be the standard.

phill4paul
12-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Other nations do it, and if we are going to support this forced equality (again, not a fan), then let that be the standard.

If there is a cause to go to war then there should only be voluntary service. If one cannot adequately convince a person that they need to lay down their life for the better good then one should not have the authority to forcibly impel.

MelissaWV
12-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Follow this through. Women getting pregnant to avoid the draft would lead to a boom of citizens, but not necessarily ones the mom can afford to raise, and not necessarily ones where the father signs the birth certificate. What happens to those types of kiddos a lot of the time? Government teat. Regardless of the outcome, the Government gets another large generation raised dependent on them and chugged through the public school system. Some of them will grow out of it and pay taxes... after they've gone through the university system. There'd be an outcry, but if it all went through, the Government has a variety of ways to come out on top with this.

Christian Liberty
12-06-2015, 04:46 PM
They know something big is coming and will need every man and woman they can get.

That could be. I would rather die than fight to defend this wicked, child-murdering and blasphemous regime. But its possible that this is just being done in the name of "equality" or some such nonsense.

TheNewYorker
12-06-2015, 05:09 PM
That could be. I would rather die than fight to defend this wicked, child-murdering and blasphemous regime. But its possible that this is just being done in the name of "equality" or some such nonsense.

They will pretend it's in the name of equality.

Do you think your masters really care about equality?

Any time you see government engineered diversity or equality, there's always a true agenda behind it.

You know the reason behind the whole civil rights thing and affirmative action? More consumers to buy products. You think your true masters care if the slaves were freed or if they could drink water out of the same drinking fountain? Nah, but if they are free and have money to buy stuff, the rich get richer.

RJB
12-06-2015, 05:09 PM
All the regular debates aside... what country has sent women to the front lines while there are plenty of able body men getting fat back home?

Send all these chicken hawk neocons who love this stuff if you need fighters. Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Gingerich, Rubio, etc.

I'll definitely fight someone if they try to send my daughters to combat.

euphemia
12-06-2015, 05:10 PM
If there is a cause to go to war then there should only be voluntary service. If one cannot adequately convince a person that they need to lay down their life for the better good then one should not have the authority to forcibly impel.

I'm not the one who is suggesting this. The president and Hillary and other progressives think we should be like other countries. I'm simply applying that fatally flawed logic to what is said.

kcchiefs6465
12-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Because nothing says freedom like indentured servitude.

Christian Liberty
12-06-2015, 05:44 PM
They will pretend it's in the name of equality.

Do you think your masters really care about equality?

Any time you see government engineered diversity or equality, there's always a true agenda behind it.

You know the reason behind the whole civil rights thing and affirmative action? More consumers to buy products. You think your true masters care if the slaves were freed or if they could drink water out of the same drinking fountain? Nah, but if they are free and have money to buy stuff, the rich get richer.

I don't know, these people seem to be hell-bent on destroying every remnant of Christian civilization, of which complementarianism is part of. I have no doubt they'd want to force egalitarianism down our throats for its own sake, though there may be other reasons.

euphemia
12-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Because nothing says freedom like indentured servitude.

If you think I believe in a draft, then you need to work on reading comprehension.

Zippyjuan
12-06-2015, 07:28 PM
You don't have to parallel park a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnUoUKEIGoo

timosman
12-06-2015, 07:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33p3QW-A7d0

Pauls' Revere
12-06-2015, 07:52 PM

That never stopped Russian women during WW2.

Pauls' Revere
12-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Good, I say have them register as men have to or remove the requirement that men have to. Equal rights and all.

oyarde
12-06-2015, 10:47 PM
What about the transgender ?

Suzanimal
12-06-2015, 10:52 PM
What about the transgender ?

Don't google tranny soldier and click on images.:eek:

Edit:
Don't google tranny in combat, either. It's worse.

RJB
12-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Don't google tranny soldier and click on images.:eek:

Edit:
Don't google tranny in combat, either. It's worse.
Yeah, I did that to try to get a humorous photo to prove a point on guys trying to use the girls room. " :eek: " is the best description.

euphemia
12-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Good, I say have them register as men have to or remove the requirement that men have to. Equal rights and all.

That might do something to stem the tide of teen pregnancy. "Are you crazy? My draft number is 84!"

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2015, 11:48 AM
If you think I believe in a draft, then you need to work on reading comprehension.

I can't imagine what led me to believe you were endorsing involuntary servitude. The wishy washy stance of freedom isn't free and the price to be paid must be paid sounds as if the supreme leader might have said it.

You're not a 'fan' of forced labor and conscripted service? Well I suppose that's one way to put it.

Gaudius
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Ayn Rand expressed the resistance against military draft very well:

“Of all the statist violations of individual rights in a mixed economy, the military draft is the worst. It is an abrogation of rights. It negates man's fundamental right – the right to life – and establishes the fundamental principle of collectivism: that a man's life belongs to the State, and the State may claim it by compelling him to sacrifice it in battle. Once that principle is accepted, the rest is only a matter of time.”

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Rational gaudism - The Philosophy of Reason, Liberty and Maximization of Self-Happiness (http://rgaud.com/english.htm)

jllundqu
12-07-2015, 01:06 PM
All the regular debates aside... what country has sent women to the front lines while there are plenty of able body men getting fat back home?

Send all these chicken hawk neocons who love this stuff if you need fighters. Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Gingerich, Rubio, etc.

Amen.... Everything this government does in terms of foreign policy is illegal of the highest order. Let them try to send my daughter to one of their regime change operations... Does not end well.

tod evans
12-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Could this be the straw that breaks the war machines back?

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Could this be the straw that breaks the war machines back?
Lol.

So long as they continue paying for worthless degrees, the wheels will keep turning.

They'll come home when they have to come home. People are afraid. Morals need not stand in the way of their perceived security. And regardless, they're ignorant as all shit. They couldn't find Damascus on a map but lord knows we have to be there.

Suzanimal
12-07-2015, 02:50 PM

I feel the same way about my sons.

jbauer
12-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Equal Rights

Damn straight!! Now if we could just get 'em to pay for dinner!!!

MelissaWV
12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
That never stopped Russian women during WW2.

Russian women during WW2 are not the same as the mostly-entitled 18-24 year old women we have around right now, and there was not a cushy safety net of programs waiting to assist them AND their kids.

Cabal
12-08-2015, 04:57 PM
The idea of a draft is an atrocity, regardless of the sex or gender in question. No advocate of freedom should ever support any kind of draft.

I also have a very difficult time seeing the vast majority of 18-24 year old females I've ever known doing well in any kind of combat situation, quite frankly. I'm sure there are some that could do well, but I suspect they are probably among the few and far between.

Hence the right-libertarian regards "war" as mass murder, "conscription" as slavery, and — for most libertarians — "taxation" as robbery.

https://mises.org/library/left-and-right-within-libertarianism

surf
12-08-2015, 06:05 PM

LACK OF Equal rights and all

there. fixed it for you.

Pauls' Revere
12-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Russian women during WW2 are not the same as the mostly-entitled 18-24 year old women we have around right now, and there was not a cushy safety net of programs waiting to assist them AND their kids.

All that goes out the window. You know, for our National interest and safety et. al.

Pauls' Revere
12-08-2015, 08:02 PM
LACK OF Equal rights and all

there. fixed it for you.

Oh, my bad. thxs.

staerker
12-08-2015, 09:44 PM
I thought Lincoln ended slavery? :confused:

I guess being forced to kill other people, and eventually die for our President, is better than ploughing a field all day. I'm glad our government had endowed us with that freedom.

specsaregood
12-08-2015, 09:59 PM
relevant:

"The Supreme Court's 1918 decision that federal conscription is constitutional was explicitly based on the contemporary practice in the German Empire, Austrian Empire, Russian Empire, Turkish Empire, British Empire, Japanese Empire...."Do you see a theme?
From: Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution pg. 156