PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me the last sentence in this article is not true.

dfalken
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7245.html

I am guessing it is misreported by whoever wrote the article or maybe the flag the company has to fly under to not appear biased, but it is nonetheless concerning

grizzums
12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
He said the goal is to make a profit, then market similar services to supporters of other candidates. “It ain’t nothing like a PAC,” he said. “This is a business.”

:eek:

user
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I noticed that too, I hope he at least means other pro-liberty candidates.

cowb0y
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
A couple of things:

1. While I understand that RP supporters are passionate and self-sacrificing (just ask my credit card company :| ), as libertarians/free-marketers, should we really be so upset that we might have to use the services of a for-profit company to market our candidate? There's a philosophical disconnect in there somewhere, isn't there?

2. Remember how much many of these people have already done and sacrificed to promote this Revolution. I, for one, am grateful for their hard work and dedication in support of our common ideals, and would not deny them a living wage while they're continuing that work (which would be pretty hard to do living in a sleeping bag in the woods eating dented cans of baked beans).

3. Does anyone here have any idea how much the real market rate is for professionals these days? Try hiring a bad lawyer for $100/hour, and see how much laughter you provoke! Try $600+/hour for a good one.

4. Finally, a plea. Please, PLEASE support the blimp. This is the biggest thing that can happen to this campaign in the final stretch of primary preparation, and will bring more media attention than anything else we can do. People ALL OVER THE WORLD will be seeing this on their TVs. People who have never even given a THOUGHT to who the Republican candidates are will be amazed by this. Please, please don't make me break my retirement fund to get this thing off the ground! :eek:

user
12-06-2007, 10:56 PM
A couple of things:

1. While I understand that RP supporters are passionate and self-sacrificing (just ask my credit card company :| ), as libertarians/free-marketers, should we really be so upset that we might have to use the services of a for-profit company to market our candidate? There's a philosophical disconnect in there somewhere, isn't there?

2. Remember how much many of these people have already done and sacrificed to promote this Revolution. I, for one, am grateful for their hard work and dedication in support of our common ideals, and would not deny them a living wage while they're continuing that work (which would be pretty hard to do living in a sleeping bag in the woods eating dented cans of baked beans).

3. Does anyone here have any idea how much the real market rate is for professionals these days? Try hiring a bad lawyer for $100/hour, and see how much laughter you provoke! Try $600+/hour for a good one.

4. Finally, a plea. Please, PLEASE support the blimp. This is the biggest thing that can happen to this campaign in the final stretch of primary preparation, and will bring more media attention than anything else we can do. People ALL OVER THE WORLD will be seeing this on their TVs. People who have never even given a THOUGHT to who the Republican candidates are will be amazed by this. Please, please don't make me break my retirement fund to get this thing off the ground! :eek:
I think the concern here is possible misrepresentation, not the for-profit nature of the company.

JordanL
12-07-2007, 07:07 AM
A couple of things:

As long as we all get our supposed money's worth, I think it's not a problem. In other words, we bought over $180,000 so far under the premise that $350,000 buys our candidate a month worth of time.

So as long as someone doesn't buy $1,000,000 worth of time and "bump" all of the RP advertising, I think it's not a huge problem. Right now,t he advertising is being sold under the premise that the only messages available to display are Ron Paul messages. So legally, all the Ron Paul time MUST come first, or the company could get hit with a fraud lawsuit.

Free markets rock. :)

BlueGecko
12-07-2007, 09:31 AM
The last sentence is part of the illusion that this is a for profit nothing really to do with RP, FEC related bull#$@. Trevor has stated that as long as the money is donated the blimp will do RP advertising. Everyone who sends money even 5 dollars legally obligates their company to advertise RP. So as long as people fund it though RP blimps then it will only be RP. And if people dont fund I guess the election is over and the point useless

BlueGecko
12-07-2007, 09:33 AM
So as long as someone doesn't buy $1,000,000 worth of time and "bump" all of the RP advertising

Since RP is the only advertising possibilities at this time no worries. Plus Elijah and Trevor wouldn't pull a fast one on us. Not only are they trustworthy but were very scary when pissed at RP forums.