PDA

View Full Version : George W. Bush speaks at unveiling of marble bust of Dick Cheney

timosman
12-03-2015, 02:38 PM
http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/12/03/george-w-bush-speaks-at-unveiling-of-marble-bust-of-dick-cheney/

https://usatelections.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/afp_546957492.jpg
Speaker Paul Ryan and former president George W. Bush attend the Dec. 3, 2015, ceremony at the Capitol to unveil the bust of former vice president Dick Cheney. (Brendan Smialowski, AFP/Getty Images)

President George W. Bush said Thursday he’s been assured a new marble bust of former vice president Dick Cheney will be prominently displayed – “in an undisclosed location.”

The former president had kind words and plenty of jokes for his former No. 2, known during his tenure for slipping off to secure locations, at the bust’s unveiling at the U.S. Capitol. The tradition dates back to 1885, honoring vice presidents in their role as the president of the Senate.

“I’m glad that his likeness will be an everlasting presence in these halls of Democracy,” Bush said.

Cheney joked that being cast in marble is a highlight for every vice president. “It’s not only a high honor,” he said. “It’s our one shot at being remembered.”

Speakers at the event included Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Vice President Biden.

Biden, who once called Cheney “probably the most dangerous vice president” in American history, joked that he wished he could have changed Cheney’s mind on “half a dozen things.” But he said he has “inordinate respect” for Cheney.

“You have been a great asset to this country,” Biden said. “The way you have personally conducted yourself is a model for anyone in high public office in this country.”

Bush, in lighthearted remarks, said Cheney was effective as a vice president on Capitol Hill. “Every single time Dick cast a vote, we won,” he said.

And while Cheney didn’t speak much on the Senate floor as vice president, he “managed to convey a lot in a few words,” Bush said.

Bush added, “Just ask Senator (Patrick) Leahy,” the Vermont Democrat who Cheney famously told to “f#$%” himself during an argument on the Senate floor.

Bush had high praise for Cheney, saying he could always trust that he offered advice with the country’s best interests at heart.

“I could not have asked for a better vice president than Dick Cheney,” Bush said. “He’s a good man who loves his country and really loves his family.”

Zippyjuan
12-03-2015, 02:44 PM
President George W. Bush said Thursday he’s been assured a new marble bust of former vice president Dick Cheney will be prominently displayed – “in an undisclosed location.”

For its own safety? Is that a broom closet in the basement- or the NSA Headquarters?

“Every single time Dick cast a vote, we won,” he said.

And we lost.

RonPaulIsGreat
12-04-2015, 02:29 AM
I'm in for 50 buck donation to the defense fund of the future vandals.

vita3
12-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Criminal alert.

invisible
12-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Damn. I thought this might be an article about him getting busted with stolen or otherwise illegal marble. Disappointed.