PDA

View Full Version : Reagan supports Islamic Jihadists -> Hero; Obama supports Islamic Jihadists -> Villain

enhanced_deficit
12-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Reagan supports anti-Russian Islamic Jihadists, he is celeberated as a hero; Obama supports anti-Russian Islamic Jihadists , he is condemned as a villain.

Isn't this GOP basers double standard?

timosman
12-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Reagan supports anti-Russian Islamic Jihadists, he is celeberated as a hero; Obama supports anti-Russian Islamic Jihadists , he is condemned as a villain.

Russia was not even in play until recent weeks. :rolleyes:

enhanced_deficit
12-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Russia was not even in play until recent weeks. :rolleyes:

Russia was not even in play until recent weeks overtly, yes.

heavenlyboy34
12-03-2015, 12:33 AM

HUGE double standard. The CIA created, funded, and trained Bin Laden and al Quaeda to fight the Soviets. After the war, Reagan had Taliban fighters as guests at the White House-declaring them "the equivalent of our founding fathers". Hypocrisy, thy name is conservatism.

r3volution 3.0
12-03-2015, 12:33 AM
neocons support Islamic jihadists

neocons ran/run both Reagan and Obama

enhanced_deficit
12-03-2015, 12:35 AM
HUGE double standard. The CIA created, funded, and trained Bin Laden and al Quaeda to fight the Soviets. After the war, Reagan had Taliban fighters as guests at the White House-declaring them "the equivalent of our founding fathers". Hypocrisy, thy name is conservatism.

Dangerously blunt.

Rudeman
12-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Not really. When Reagan was president the Soviets were the #1 enemy. Now it's the Islamic Jihadists. Not sure why you would expect the enemy/beliefs/views etc. to be the same over a 30 year span. I mean the US went from Nuking Japan to becoming BFFs, Vietnam war to trading with Vietnam etc.

Miss Annie
12-03-2015, 12:58 AM

Don't forget the Bushs' and the Clintons too.

r3volution 3.0
12-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Not really. When Reagan was president the Soviets were the #1 enemy. Now it's the Islamic Jihadists. Not sure why you would expect the enemy/beliefs/views etc. to be the same over a 30 year span. I mean the US went from Nuking Japan to becoming BFFs, Vietnam war to trading with Vietnam etc.

That must be why we're funding and arming them.

Zippyjuan
12-03-2015, 02:07 AM

It was the peak of the Cold War. Anything which could make the Russians look bad was a good thing. Tying them down in Afghanistan made their military look weak. "An enemy of my enemy is my friend". After 9/11 the view of Islamists changed. Then they became the enemy.

vita3
12-03-2015, 02:26 AM
Arming Islamic proxies to counter Russia has been a monumental mistake.

r3volution 3.0
12-03-2015, 02:28 AM

...depends on what your objectives are

timosman
12-03-2015, 02:40 AM

Yeah, you need to look at The Grand Chessboard.

Miss Annie
12-03-2015, 03:18 AM

Yeah, you need to look at The Grand Chessboard.

Bingo!
The global elite are using the Islamists to accomplish their goals. For decades, they have been stirring, invading, and radicalizing them to stir their beliefs that it's time for the global caliphate. The Islamists are nothing more than the army of the elite on the grand chess board.

enhanced_deficit
12-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Bingo!
The global elite are using the Islamists to accomplish their goals. For decades, they have been stirring, invading, and radicalizing them to stir their beliefs that it's time for the global caliphate. The Islamists are nothing more than the army of the elite on the grand chess board.

All informative comments above. These should sum it up.

enhanced_deficit
12-03-2015, 12:02 PM
http://russia-insider.com/sites/insider/files/TimeReaganObama.jpg (http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20110207,00.html)

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20110207,00.html

puppetmaster
12-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Isn't this GOP basers double standard? Islamic jihadists are anti everything not fundamentalist islamic.

enhanced_deficit
12-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Islamic jihadists are anti everything not fundamentalist islamic.

Not always true, they were quite fond of President Reagan who was hardly a fandamentalist Islamic.
And it was mutual as Reagan was also very fond of Islamic Jihadists.

https://progressivecynic.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/reagan-with-afghan-mujahideen-1985.jpg?w=400http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U0AzBhoYcVk/UPgbMDPxjOI/AAAAAAAAEa0/5t6XwgDXDtU/s1600/wilson+afghan+cap.jpg
https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/photo.goodreads.com/hostedimages/1380332186i/692862.jpghttps://supportdanielboyd.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/afg-herringafgan1979zr0.jpg?w=500&h=332

heavenlyboy34
12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Not always true, they were quite fond of President Reagan who was hardly a fandamentalist Islamic.
And it was mutual as Reagan was also very fond of Islamic Jihadists.

https://progressivecynic.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/reagan-with-afghan-mujahideen-1985.jpg?w=400http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U0AzBhoYcVk/UPgbMDPxjOI/AAAAAAAAEa0/5t6XwgDXDtU/s1600/wilson+afghan+cap.jpg
https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/photo.goodreads.com/hostedimages/1380332186i/692862.jpghttps://supportdanielboyd.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/afg-herringafgan1979zr0.jpg?w=500&h=332

This, fer sure^^

jmdrake
12-03-2015, 02:43 PM

Question. You seem to support Obama, hate Ben Carson and kinda support Donald Trump. Triple standard? Anyway support for jihadists in Afghanistan goes all the way back to Jimmy Carter and he lied about it. And all that was pre 9/11.

liveandletlive
12-03-2015, 02:57 PM
i just dont like Reagan and the worship of Reagan as the standard bearer for conservatism is unfortunate and irreversible. he was a lousy actor too.

RonPaulMall
12-03-2015, 03:04 PM

No. Beyond the fact that Obama has been supporting Islamic Jihadists long before Russia got involved (in Egypt, then Libya), there is also the fact that it wasn't Russia but the Soviet Union that we were fighting back then. The Soviet Union has not existed for nearly 25 years. We have no beef with Russia.

Rudeman
12-03-2015, 04:09 PM

The US Government is not the same as the GOP base or general public. To most people America's #1 enemy are Islamic Jihadists. So people will support anything that they spin as fighting or defeating them. 30 years ago the Soviets were considered America's #1 enemy so the people supported anything that was spun as fighting or defeating them. In 30 years some other group will probably be America's #1 enemy and American's will support anything that is spun as fighting or defeating them.

CPUd
12-03-2015, 05:31 PM
i just dont like Reagan and the worship of Reagan as the standard bearer for conservatism is unfortunate and irreversible. he was a lousy actor too.

Same here, but I get why they do it. The Dems have at least 2 former presidents who could speak at their convention, the GOP has consistently rejected theirs.

Zippyjuan
12-03-2015, 05:35 PM
By the standards of today's Republican Party, Reagan was a liberal. One of his strengths or weaknesses is that you can find him on both sides of most issues. He promised to "get the Government off the backs of the people" and reduce taxes. He did sign tax cuts but he also singed what was a the time the biggest tax INCREASE in US history. He was for big military spending and in particular nuclear weapons but was willing to give up every single nuclear weapon if the Soviet Union agreed to do the same (obviously they didn't agree). He was against social welfare programs and wanted to privatize them and signed cuts in Medicaid but also expanded Medicare- the largest expansion since it was first started.

But he was a nice man and smiled alot.

vita3
12-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Jeb Bush is using this issue to revive his death..

vita3
12-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Ronald Reagan would be terribly upset @ how out of control the "freedom fighters" have gotten & all the death & destruction they have caused, outside of Afghanistan.

Seemed like a good thing @ the time to fight the Ruskies

enhanced_deficit
12-06-2015, 07:46 PM
No. Beyond the fact that Obama has been supporting Islamic Jihadists long before Russia got involved (in Egypt, then Libya), there is also the fact that it wasn't Russia but the Soviet Union that we were fighting back then. The Soviet Union has not existed for nearly 25 years. We have have beef with Russia.

Could be but his dictates come from lobbies that have other enemies besides Russia.. Iran is also on top of their list.

Question. You seem to support Obama, hate Ben Carson and kinda support Donald Trump. Triple standard? Anyway support for jihadists in Afghanistan goes all the way back to Jimmy Carter and he lied about it. And all that was pre 9/11.

It would "seem to" to be triple standard if your assumptions on this were right.. but they are not.

enhanced_deficit
12-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Controversial Canadian export Rafael Red Cruz was full of hypocrisy in debate yesterday. He admired Reagan who massively cultivated radical Islamic militancy to defeat Soviets and at the same time attacked radical Islam/Obama. Does this idiot even know what Reagan's policies were?

Judgment, strength, clarity, and trust. Barack Obama has said he doesn’t believe in American leadership or America winning. He is wrong. America can win again and we will win again.Ronald Reagan reignited the American economy, rebuilt the military, bankrupted the Soviet Union, and defeated Soviet communism. I will do the same thing, cutting taxes, cutting regulation, unleashing small businesses, and rebuilding the military to defeat radical Islamic terrorism.

wizardwatson
12-16-2015, 06:07 PM

I think Assad is the #1 enemy. Otherwise we wouldn't be aligning with the jihadists against him.

The Alawites believe Mohammed and Jesus were the same person. That's just weird. Clearly he has to go.

RonPaulMall
12-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Controversial Canadian export Rafael Red Cruz was full of hypocrisy in debate yesterday. He admired Reagan who massively cultivated radical Islamic militancy to defeat Soviets and at the same time attacked radical Islam/Obama. Does this idiot even know what Reagan's policies were?

Reagan's policy was to defeat the Soviet Union, an entity which no longer exists. And it was not fated to be that Islamic Militancy would become a future threat to the United States. If the US had pursued a non-interventionist policy after the Soviet withdrawal in 1988 and the collapse of the Soviet Union itself three years later, we wouldn't be having these problems today.

Reagan aided an entity that wasn't dangerous at the time to help defeat what the majority of Americans (rightly or wrongly) viewed as an existential threat.

Obama is aiding an entity that the majority of Americans (rightly or wrongly) view as an existential threat in order to help defeat somebody nobody in America even views as an enemy, let alone a dangerous one.

There is no comparison between the two things, and no "hypocrisy" on Cruz's part. This entire threat is idiotic. Might as well be titled, "JFK: Hypocrite who joined Navy to fight Germans and Japanese then claimed to be a Berliner!" In fact, the same could be said of Reagan who served against the Germans in WWII as well (albeit at a desk job) and would later claim the Germans and Japs as erstwhile allies.

enhanced_deficit
12-17-2015, 03:32 PM
RPM, if I understand the gist of your argument, it is as follows:

"There is a right time to fund/arm/support/honor violent radical islamic Jihadists and there a wrong time to fund/arm/support/honor violent radical islamic Jihadists. It was the right time to do in the 1980s but it is wrong time to do so in 2010s".

Did I summarize your argument correctly?

luctor-et-emergo
12-17-2015, 03:48 PM
I think Assad is the #1 enemy. Otherwise we wouldn't be aligning with the jihadists against him.

The Alawites believe Mohammed and Jesus were the same person. That's just weird. Clearly he has to go.

And they also don't openly talk about their religion either. Horrible people.

Assad is not the number one enemy, he's a bonus package. Russia has a (navy) base in RussiaSyria, which is strategic for them in the Mediterranean sea as well as it's proximity to the Suez canal on which a lot of international shipping relies. This base bas been a giant thorn in the eye of NATO countries because of course, only they should be allowed to have agreements with other countries to have bases there.

vita3
12-17-2015, 04:22 PM
100% believe Reagan would be ashamed & horrified to be a part of the arming of "global" jihadists, if he could have seen how much destruction they have done, down the road.