PDA

View Full Version : I almost felt sorry for this McCain worker just now...

jgmaynard
12-06-2007, 07:07 PM
OK, I just got a call from a McCain worker. He introduced himself, and said he was working for John McCain and asked if I had a minute. I said sure. :)

He asked me for whom I was voting. I told him Ron Paul. He says "Oh. Would you say your support for him is firm?" I said "Absolutely." I then talked (just for a minute or so) about how my kids (actually they are my girlfriend's, but we've been together 6 years - close enough) were too important to me to be able to tolerate the war going on any longer.
I talked about how I could not in all good conscience, vote for anyone who would continue a war in which they might be drafted and die. He asked if they were around draft age and I told him that I had both a boy and a girl that are around draft age (they are 20 and 23) and their lives are too precious to me to entrust to John McCain.
Then I stated that "War is the ultimate big government project" and explained breifly about how we are borrowing three billion dollars a day from China to finance the war. Then, coming back to family (he was older sounding), I said that saddling my kids with that sort of debt is not something I could ever do to them.

He told me that McCain worked with some vet group that he was a part of and how McCain had been tortured in Vietnam, and I said that McCain's dedication to the troops and his service were things I admired in the man (This served to disarm him). I should have mentioned Ron's service record and donations, but I forgot. It was still too little too late for him, and he just said goodbye. I doubt I got a convert, but I got him to think better about Ron.

I mean, I was laid this on thick. I could just hear his voice becoming weaker and weaker and by the end, there was this total air of doubt in his voice about at least his opinion of Ron, if not McCain. Seemed like a nice guy, I almost felt sorry for him. But sometimes education is tough.

JM

0zzy
12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
"Mr. McCain, I gotta go home. I can't call anyone anymore, I have...I have family problems!" *runs home and looks up Ron Paul*

rfbz
12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
lol..i guess I can relate to how the guy must feel somewhat...I used to be in sales and sometimes we just didn't have the best prices or product selection. I would get all kinds of objections and could overcome most of them, but there were a few phone calls where prospects almost had me agreeing with them like damn you got a good point there...maybe I should work for the competition.

jgmaynard
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
And the best bit was at the end he said (half-heartedly) "Well, I hope you change your mind..." and I said "I hope you do too. Have a great night." and he was like "Yeah..." :D

JM

klamath
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for representing RP well. If RP is still in and McCain is out that might be a vote for RP.

CurtisLow
12-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Good job on the phone jgmaynard!

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
And the best bit was at the end he said (half-heartedly) "Well, I hope you change your mind..." and I said "I hope you do too. Have a great night." and he was like "Yeah..." :D

JM

Lol

Good job. I still think political activists for the other sides are the best people to talk to. Some work on them and they are campaigning for us. Not just voting for Paul but activists for him.

Cowlesy
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Avery Knapp and I worked on a Giuliani staffer the other night at a Heritage Foundation meeting.

Even other campaign's workers can be changed. I actually wish Anita Andrews was still with us, as it was her advice that has helped me change, or at least sway, so many other candidates supporters' minds. Like someone much wiser than me once said, and that I often post, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".

Great work!!

Convert
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Excellent!

jgmaynard
12-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks all of you.

I appreciate the comments.

JM