PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers want loophole closed that allows people on terror watchlist to buy guns

Suzanimal
11-25-2015, 06:26 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

WASHINGTON — Many Democrats and even Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is saying that a loophole needs to be closed that allows thousands of people with ties to terror groups to buy guns.

While the debate continues on what to do about Syrian refugees, Democrats in the U.S. Senate are warning there's a bigger safety threat from suspected terrorists already in the U.S.

Individuals on the federal terrorist watch list are allowed to legally buy firearms and explosives.

“These are people who are either part of a terrorist group or suspected of taking part in terrorist activity,” said David Maurer, with the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/lawmakers-want-loophole-closed-allows-people-terro/npWwH/

pcosmar
11-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Who is on this "list"..?

by what criteria?

and what is the redress?

Inquiring minds like to know.

pcosmar
11-25-2015, 06:58 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

http://techmash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Wendy-Wright-when-presented-with-evidence.jpg

timosman
11-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Does posting on RPF qualify as a terrorist activity?

TheTexan
11-25-2015, 07:41 PM

Not necessarily.

Weston White
11-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Talk about "terrorist activities"... ONE MILLION AMERICANS CANNOT BE WRONG.

TERROR WATCH LIST COUNTER: A MILLION PLUS

Why are there so many names on the U.S. government's terrorist list?

In September 2007, the Inspector General of the Justice Department reported that the Terrorist Screening Center (the FBI-administered organization that consolidates terrorist watch list information in the United States) had over 700,000 names in its database as of April 2007 - and that the list was growing by an average of over 20,000 records per month.1 (See also this new March 2008 report.2 )

By those numbers, the list now has over one million names on it. Terrorist watch lists must be tightly focused on true terrorists who pose a genuine threat. Bloated lists are bad because

they ensnare many innocent travelers as suspected terrorists, and
because they waste screeners' time and divert their energies from looking for true terrorists.

https://www.aclu.org/terror-watch-list-counter-million-plus

paleocon1
11-26-2015, 08:48 AM
and we KNOW that terror watch list is the least bit accurate because.......?

paleocon1
11-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Who is on this "list"..?

by what criteria?

and what is the redress?

Inquiring minds like to know.

if you saw the List They would have to kill ya

wizardwatson
11-26-2015, 08:55 AM

I'm not even sure it qualifies as "activity".

tod evans
11-26-2015, 08:55 AM

Reported.

Occam's Banana
11-26-2015, 09:36 AM
If I am a "terrorist" and I want to buy a gun, I'm getting it on the black market, period - regardless of any "loophole" that might allow me to purchase it "legally."
(For just one thing, black market sellers will not likely snitch me out for my purchase, while any "legal" sellers will be required to do so by law.)

IOW: This is just more boogity-boogity bullshit (a.k.a. "security theater") that will accomplish absolutely nothing - and is not intended to accomplish anything - except to (1) further demonize and/or curtail gun rights, and (2) impress rubes, dupes and idiots ...

TheTexan
11-26-2015, 01:18 PM
If I am a "terrorist"

If?

Dr. Dog
11-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Guilty until proven innocent. I think we should trust the government on this one.

Ronin Truth
11-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Who created the "loophole" in the first place? :rolleyes:

erowe1
11-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Trump needs to get hit hard for this.

The Gold Standard
11-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Trump needs to get hit hard for this.

All he has to do is sell it as disarming the Muslims and his supporters will deify him.

erowe1
11-26-2015, 04:25 PM
All he has to do is sell it as disarming the Muslims and his supporters will deify him.

Let his supporters do that. But if he wants to become president or even the Republican nominee, he needs to grow that support.

ClydeCoulter
11-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Let his supporters do that. But if he wants to become president or even the Republican nominee, he needs to grow that support.

All of the seeds that I've seen so far are rotten or otherwise completely useless.

pcosmar
11-26-2015, 10:01 PM

Not Necessarily. not just posting..

but supporting Ron Paul, Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin was enough to do it.

Anti Federalist
11-27-2015, 12:03 AM
Secret government lists that extinguish fundamental rights for people on them?

Oh yeah, great idea.