PDA

View Full Version : Pay Your Taxes or Lose Your Passport

timosman
11-22-2015, 03:06 PM
http://fortune.com/2015/11/20/irs-taxes-passport/

by Chris Matthews @crobmatthews NOVEMBER 20, 2015, 8:27 AM EST

A new law is set to go in effect in January.

If you owe the IRS more than $50,000, your passport might soon be useless.

Congress is set to enact a law that would deny or revoke passports for taxpayers who owe the U.S. government more than $50,000, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The law will take effect in January and was passed as part of a larger highway funding bill. The Joint Committee on taxation estimates that cracking down on delinquents in this manner will raise $398 million over 10 years.

It’s unclear just how many Americans abroad this would affect but the Journal notes that “a report issued in September by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration … found that the IRS sent 855,000 notices to U.S. citizens abroad in 2014.”

Charles Bruce, an American lawyer who advises the expatriate group American Citizens Abroad told the Journal, “Americans abroad need their passports for many routine activities of daily life, such as banking, registering in a hotel, or registering a child for school, and mistakes could be disastrous.”

Contumacious
11-22-2015, 03:21 PM
http://fortune.com/2015/11/20/irs-taxes-passport/

Doug Casey on Second Passports (https://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/04/doug-casey/time-for-a-2nd-passport/)

By Doug Casey

Louis James: Doug, a lot of our readers have asked about getting a second passport. I realize this is a large and complex issue – several issues, actually – but would you care to go over the basics of where to go and what to do? And for those not already thinking about this, why?

Doug Casey: Sure. We’ve talked quite a bit about the increasing urgency of getting some of your assets out of your home country, especially if it’s the United States. We’ve talked about having stores of precious metals in safe places abroad, and setting up bank and brokerage accounts abroad as well. I’ve said that safest way to store wealth abroad is to buy property, which can’t be seized by your home country without an act of war. The purchase of real estate solves several issues all at once

Feeding the Abscess
11-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Why is this wrong? The State is merely setting migration policy, and disincentivizing those who would use the services of the State without contributing to its payment. Or do you only support migration controls on people outside the border?

Serious question.

Dr.3D
11-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Well crap, I've been paying my taxes all this time and I've never even had a passport.

timosman
11-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Try this: Somebody sends a form to IRS claiming you were paid $200,000(does not have to be true). Your taxes on this are well in excess of $50k. Try to untangle this situation while at the airport. LOL.

Indy Vidual
11-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Try this: Somebody sends a form to IRS claiming you were paid $200,000(does not have to be true). Your taxes on this are well in excess of $50k. Try to untangle this situation while at the airport. LOL.

+1040

Anti Federalist
11-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Why not?

The government owns the damn things anyway.

LOL @ "land of the free"

staerker
11-22-2015, 07:23 PM
The harder it is to get in, the harder it is to get out.

timosman
07-08-2018, 08:28 AM
bump