PDA

View Full Version : 40% of Millennials OK with limiting speech offensive to minorities

RonPaulFanInGA
11-21-2015, 12:11 AM
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/

American Millennials are far more likely than older generations to say the government should be able to prevent people from saying offensive statements about minority groups, according to a new analysis of Pew Research Center survey data on free speech and media across the globe.

We asked whether people believe that citizens should be able to make public statements that are offensive to minority groups, or whether the government should be able to prevent people from saying these things. Four-in-ten Millennials say the government should be able to prevent people publicly making statements that are offensive to minority groups, while 58% said such speech is OK.

Even though a larger share of Millennials favor allowing offensive speech against minorities, the 40% who oppose it is striking given that only around a quarter of Gen Xers (27%) and Boomers (24%) and roughly one-in-ten Silents (12%) say the government should be able to prevent such speech.

Compared with people we surveyed in dozens of nations, Americans as a whole are less likely to favor the government being able to prevent speech of any kind.

phill4paul
11-21-2015, 12:14 AM
Millennials are little fucking pussies. So...............

timosman
11-21-2015, 12:15 AM
TPTB: apparently we still have not indoctrinated everybody, 11% to go. Should be done by the end of the year.

timosman
11-21-2015, 12:22 AM
dp

Slave Mentality
11-21-2015, 08:19 AM

Yup. Bunch of limp wrists taught to obey. Rules are rules don't cha know?

tod evans
11-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Fuck minorities.

Fuck Millennials.

Fuck politically correct speech.

osan
11-21-2015, 08:30 AM

Anyone favoring such censorship is a candy-ass, tyrant-scrotum-licking pussy.

luctor-et-emergo
11-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Yup. Bunch of limp wrists taught to obey. Rules are rules don't cha know?

There's a few good ones around.

Fuck Millennials.

:(

I'm in favor of completely free speech. I really don't care what people have to say, how offensive it may be to me. Threatening, well, that's a matter of perception too. In most cases. So yea, say what you want so long as you leave other people alone.

Paulbot99
11-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Fuck minorities.

Fuck Millennials.

Now, don't go making them feel oppressed! ;)

Ronin Truth
11-21-2015, 09:13 AM
I'm very happy that my Millennial is part of the other 60% with brains and was raised correctly.

Origanalist
11-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Fuck minorities.

Fuck Millennials.

And fuck you.

timosman
11-21-2015, 12:15 PM
And fuck you.

Fuck you too, sir. :D

Origanalist
11-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Fuck you too, sir. :D

+ rep

jclay2
11-21-2015, 05:24 PM
You guys are so funny. Reworded another way, 60% or a MAJORITY of millennials are NOT in favor of doing this! /endsarc

nayjevin
11-21-2015, 06:31 PM
You guys are so funny. Reworded another way, 60% or a MAJORITY of millennials are NOT in favor of doing this! /endsarc

lol yeah... and yet another:

60% of respondents to some question answered something that might reflect their position on the matter.

LibertyEagle
11-22-2015, 09:46 AM
US Survey: ‘Striking’ Percentage of U.S. Millennials Favor Governmental Power to Prevent Speech Offensive to Minorities

More from Pew:

We asked whether people believe that citizens should be able to make public statements that are offensive to minority groups, or whether the government should be able to prevent people from saying these things. Four-in-ten Millennials say the government should be able to prevent people publicly making statements that are offensive to minority groups, while 58% said such speech is OK.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/21/survey-striking-percentage-of-u-s-millennials-favor-governmental-power-to-prevent-speech-offensive-to-minorities/

angelatc
11-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Yeah. Now go look at the numbers that Bernie Sanders brings to his rallies and then compare them to Ron Paul's.

I do not have much hope left.

TheTexan
11-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah. Now go look at the numbers that Bernie Sanders brings to his rallies and then compare them to Ron Paul's.

I do not have much hope left.

Don't lose hope, Rand is doing great. Over the past few days hes surging, from 4% to about 4.2%

nayjevin
11-22-2015, 10:46 AM
What makes you all want to share sentiments like this?

Are polls with high margins of error all of a sudden valid if they support your cynicism?

Millennials don't get their news from 'The Blaze', on that we can be proud and hopeful.

LibertyEagle
11-22-2015, 10:53 AM
What makes you all want to share sentiments like this?

Are polls with high margins of error all of a sudden valid if they support your cynicism?

Millennials don't get their news from 'The Blaze', on that we can be proud and hopeful.

Blowback

timosman
11-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Young people want to get laid. Their attention is fickle. They will line up behind anybody/anything who allows them to accomplish this. Most of the time it is a fad of the year. South Park latest episode explains this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponsored_Content

cajuncocoa
11-22-2015, 11:12 AM
If young people were driving anything, Ron would be president right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about Bernie Sanders.

Let's not be so cynical. We were all young once....and some of us were also idealistic. Those young people will grow up, they will get jobs, pay taxes, have families. And then they'll figure it all out, all we all did. There IS hope.

timosman
11-22-2015, 11:17 AM
If young people were driving anything, Ron would be president right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about Bernie Sanders.

Let's not be so cynical. We were all young once....and some of us were also idealistic. Those young people will grow up, they will get jobs, pay taxes, have families. And then they'll figure it all out, all we all did. There IS hope.

Hope is not a strategy. Most grown ups have not figured anything out either. I still hope the polls are wrong.

tod evans
11-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Attention youngsters;

Look around in class tomorrow, it's easy to pick out the next crop of government employees.....

Bullies=Kops

Teachers pet=Bureaucrat

Manipulative=Lawyer/politician

Ronin Truth
11-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Tell the 40% to go ahead and limit THEIR speech. It's fine and OK, by me.

cajuncocoa
11-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Hope is not a strategy. Most grown ups have not figured anything out either. I still hope the polls are wrong.
I didn't say hope is a strategy.

Cabal
11-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Yeah, the State will save us. LOLOLOLOL

cajuncocoa
11-22-2015, 12:51 PM
I'm not OK with limiting speech (by mandate) ...but it would be nice if people could just be civil on their own accord. As in, restrict themselves from being offensive. Too much to hope for?

rg17
11-22-2015, 01:13 PM
The millenials are the butt hurt commie generation. My generation of course.

Ronin Truth
11-22-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm not OK with limiting speech (by mandate) ...but it would be nice if people could just be civil on their own accord. As in, restrict themselves from being offensive. Too much to hope for?

Well, let's just start with the 40% of the Millennial speech limiting volunteers and then we'll just see how it goes from there on out. ;)

Southron
11-22-2015, 01:23 PM
I'll admit we are the worst generation. I think we will witness the fall of Western Civilisation.

rg17
11-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Yeah, the State will save us. LOLOLOLOL

And my free shit! :rolleyes:

timosman
11-22-2015, 01:27 PM
There is some hope:

https://www.thefire.org/wp-content/themes/thefire/images/logo.png

http://www.thefire.org/

Ronin Truth
11-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I'll admit we are the worst generation. I think we will witness the fall of Western Civilisation.

When asked by a reporter what he thought of western civilization, Gandhi once replied, "I think it would be a good idea".

Henry Rogue
11-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Generations of incremental indoctrination via public schools culminated in this.

cajuncocoa
11-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Well, let's just start with the 40% of the Millennial speech limiting volunteers and then we'll just see how it goes from there on out. ;)
Not following your meaning.

RJB
11-22-2015, 06:58 PM
When asked by a reporter what he thought of western civilization, Gandhi once replied, "I think it would be a good idea".

Wasn't he murdered by someone from his own "civilization?"

Throwing rocks, glass houses and all...

Ronin Truth
11-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Wasn't he murdered by someone from his own "civilization?"

Throwing rocks, glass houses and all... Compare the "civilization" body counts.

RJB
11-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Compare the "civilization" body counts.

OFF TOPIC!!! Start a new thread.

Ronin Truth
11-23-2015, 07:12 AM
OFF TOPIC!!! Start a new thread.
As is your post.

I very often do.

Cabal
11-24-2015, 11:19 PM
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2015/11/Minorities2.jpg&w=1484

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/21/why-protesters-on-college-campuses-are-battling-free-speech-in-1-graph/?sw

heavenlyboy34
11-24-2015, 11:33 PM

Teh Boomers did it first, though.

nayjevin
11-25-2015, 05:12 AM
That Was a False Alarm on Millennials and Free Speech

By Jesse Singal (http://nymag.com/author/Jesse%20Singal/)Last week, I wrote about (http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/11/millennials-a-bit-meh-on-free-speech.html) a new Pew poll that showed that 40 percent of millennials would be in favor of government bans on speech offensive to minority groups. Many people took this as a dire sign that kids these days are Nae Nae–ing themselves straight into an authoritarian future, especially given all the recent talk about young people's coddling and fragility (http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/11/myth-of-the-fragile-college-student.html).

Here’s Charlie Nash (http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/11/23/study-40-of-millennials-oppose-offensive-free-speech/) of the right-wing website Breitbart offering some in-depth sociological analysis of the numbers:

This is simply the result of what most journalists on the right have been saying for years. Freedom of speech is under attack, not by direct legislation, but by erasing the value of freedom of expression in schools and colleges. Just 10 to 20 years ago, college campuses were places defined by their open debates, easy access to learn new things, and free student discussion. College campuses are now defined by “safe spaces,” authoritarian student unions, and bourgeoisie middle-class-but-I’m-down-with-the-poor protesters. Students of today do not want a free discussion if anything said could hurt someone’s feelings (unless you’re straight, male, and white; then fire away).
“Just 10 to 20 years ago” there was freedom on campus! A terrible situation indeed.

I wasn’t immune to the hype myself. While I did caution in my write-up that the number needed to be taken in context given that the question had never been asked in this way before and there was therefore nothing to compare the result against, it still jumped out at me as surprisingly high — that’s why I posted about it.

I was wrong; it shouldn’t have jumped out at me. A bit of digging into past poll results shows that this just wasn’t an unusual result. Yes, broad attitudes over free speech change over time — more on this in a bit — but there’s a general pattern to how Americans answer these questions: They’ve shown over and over again that they favor free speech in theory, when asked about it in the broadest terms, but they also tend to be fairly enthusiastic about government bans on forms of speech they find particularly offensive (what’s considered offensive, of course, changes with the times). On this subject, millennials are right in line with reams of past polling, and it would be wrong to hold up last week’s results as an example of anything other than an extremely broad tendency that’s existed for a long time.

Before jumping into a few past numbers, it’s important to note that you really can’t compare directly between different polls, since different polls have different sampling procedures and question wording. This is a cardinal-sin no-no. But that doesn’t mean you can’t check to see whether the result from last week was a crazy outlier suggestive of new attitudes about free speech. If the vast majority of past polls asking similar types of questions had found that, say, only 15 percent of Americans are in favor of banning offensive speech, then we could at least say, "Hmmm, something’s going on here with millennials."

But that isn’t the case, as numerous examples show. In March, for example, the Washington (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/16/americans-growing-support-for-free-speech-doesnt-include-racist-speech/)Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/16/americans-growing-support-for-free-speech-doesnt-include-racist-speech/) reported (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/16/americans-growing-support-for-free-speech-doesnt-include-racist-speech/) on a decades-long trend in the General Social Survey: Over time, when asked whether they think a variety of figures — atheists, militarists, and so on — should be “allowed to give a speech in [their] community,” Americans have gotten increasingly tolerant. The one exception highlighted by the Post? A speaker discussing African-Americans’ genetic inferiority. There, the figure hasn’t really budged since 1976 — it’s been consistently the case that 60 percent of Americans believe such speech should be allowed, meaning 40 percent don’t believe it should be or aren’t sure. Now, this is a survey of American adults rather than just young people, but still: same very general ballpark, and strikingly stable since the 1970s.
Maybe it’s the question phrasing, though — maybe these respondents don’t want a racist speaker in their neighborhood, but also don’t want the government to ban that speaker at all. Alas, there’s plenty of other polling and research showing that approval of more general bans on speech is something of a national tradition.
Here’s (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/wat/archive/wat121498.htm) then–Washington Post polling director Richard Morin writing in 1998:

In 1938, the American Institute of Public Opinion surveyed a national sample of American adults. The institute asked respondents whether they believed in free speech or not, and of course 96 percent said they did.
But in subsequent questions, it became uncomfortably clear that Americans would place many limits on free speech. Fewer than four in 10 – 38 percent – said they would allow "radicals" to meet and speak. Even fewer would grant those rights to Communists or fascists.
Likewise, during the height of the Red Scare in the 1950s, Harvard sociologist Samuel Stouffer conducted a national poll to measure support for free speech. Two-thirds said a Communist should not be allowed to speak. And nearly as many, 60 percent, said an atheist should not be allowed to speak.
Or take an AP article from 1990 — accessed via Nexis, so no link — with the headline “Americans apply ‘double standard’ to free speech rights”:

Americans overwhelmingly believe the Constitution guarantees their individual freedom of expression, but more than one-fourth say that protection shouldn't apply to the arts or the media, according to a private survey [of 1,500 adults].

Robert O'Neil, founding director of the Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression, said Friday that the center's survey spotlighted "an appalling gap" in public understanding of free speech and equally protected freedom of the press.

"We found alarming evidence of a double standard, a sense that the 1st Amendment protects what the speaker wants to say, but not so clearly the views of others," O'Neil said, releasing the survey results at a news conference on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial.

While 90 percent of Americans believe the government has no business telling them what to say, nearly 59 percent said the government should have some power of censorship, according to the center's survey.

In addition, more than half said the government has the right to ban the sale of recordings that favor drug use or broadcasting of sexually explicit lyrics; 84 percent favored mandatory labeling of recorded songs containing such lyrics.

The survey said between 25 percent and 30 percent of those questioned believed the 1st Amendment’s guarantees of free speech didn't cover art works, films, music, radio, cable and network television, plays, newspapers or photographs. [emphasis mine]
Last week’s poll wasn’t even an outlier if we restrict the question to young people. Kathleen Weldon of the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research at Cornell sent me an age breakdown from a 1999 American Attitudes About the First Amendment survey in which respondents were asked whether they agreed with the statement “People should be allowed to use words in public that might be offensive to racial groups.” Combining the “mildly disagree” and “strongly disagree” categories, 75 percent of respondents in the 18-to-29 age bracket disagreed. (Let’s do a Charlie Nash callback: “Just 10 to 20 years ago, college campuses were places defined by their open debates, easy access to learn new things, and free student discussion.”)

This is a far-from-comprehensive look at past polling numbers on free-speech questions, and I’m sure there are interesting patterns to be discovered, some of which might reveal noteworthy things about young people’s attitudes and how they have changed over the years. But on the specific question of whether people should be alarmed that 40 percent of millennials are in favor of government censorship of offensive speech, there’s very little to suggest this is an unusual result.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/11/false-alarm-on-millennials-and-free-speech.html

more much ado about nothing and faulty conclusions spurred by bad/misleading polling, poor logic, kneejerk reactions to sensationalist headlines....

Ronin Truth
11-25-2015, 09:42 AM
more much ado about nothing and faulty conclusions spurred by bad/misleading polling, poor logic, kneejerk reactions to sensationalist headlines....

It's really hard to find good, reliable, competent help, apparently. :rolleyes:

enhanced_deficit
11-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Could it be that 40% of Millennials are swayed by European/French influence from the "Old World"?

Quenelle Gesture Famed Black French Comedian Sentenced To Two Months In Prison For 2012 ‘Joke’ (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?485813-Quenelle-Gesture-Famed-Black-French-Comedian-Sentenced-To-Two-Months-In-Prison-For-2012-%E2%80%98Joke%E2%80%99&)