PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Will Block Syrian Refugees, Matt Bevin Says

Warlord
11-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Echoing the stance of several Republican governors, Matt Bevin on Monday said he opposes the resettling of Syrian refugees in Kentucky.

“My primary responsibility as governor of Kentucky will be to protect the citizens of the commonwealth,” said Bevin, who will become Kentucky’s governor on Dec. 8.

“This is why I am joining with other governors across the country in opposing the resettlement of Syrian nationals until we can better determine the full extent of any risks to our citizens.”

http://wfpl.org/kentucky-will-block-syrian-refugees-matt-bevin-says/

Mr.NoSmile
11-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Hasn't it already been stated that these governors have little influence over resettlement anyway?

The Refugee Act of 1980 requires the State Department to maintain "an effective and responsive liaison" with governors and mayors, but doesn't give governors any formal role in resettlement.

States do have a small amount of financial leverage through their state resettlement offices. Many of the governors have directed their state offices not to participate in helping to relocate Syrian refugees in their states. It's unclear what effect pulling that support could have.

“Governors can talk about pulling their consent and funding, but most of the state money is federal pass-through dollars," said Matthew Soerens, spokesman for World Relief, a non-profit contractor with the State Department to resettle refugees. “It’s important to remember that once refugees are here, they are free to move anywhere they want. It would be a scary proposition for governor’s to start talking about closing borders.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/11/16/governors-have-little-power-block-refugees/75888766/

Cabal
11-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Syrian refugees have evidently already been resettled in Kentucky since at least September.

Anti Federalist
11-19-2015, 08:41 PM
No, Kentucky won't.

Oh, there may be some whooping and hollering and breast beating, but at the end of the day, Kentucky is just a vassal state of the Federal regime, just like all the rest.

The feds will threaten to cut off funding, and Kentucky will crimp and fold.

And if that doesn't work, a division or two of armored, mechanized federal troops, will.

Danke
11-19-2015, 09:10 PM
I remember some states gave free busfare to homeless people to go to a different state maybe they'll do this again .

tod evans
11-19-2015, 09:13 PM
No, Kentucky won't.

Oh, there may be some whooping and hollering and breast beating, but at the end of the day, Kentucky is just a vassal state of the Federal regime, just like all the rest.

The feds will threaten to cut off funding, and Kentucky will crimp and fold.

And if that doesn't work, a division or two of armored, mechanized federal troops, will.

Sooner is better than later......

brooke499
11-19-2015, 09:45 PM
I thought congress would use THEIR powers to put a stop to the usurping of THEIR authority..by the majority of congressional votes.or don't they have any?I am always thankful when I listen to Senator Rand Paul who always seems to be the Voice on behalf of Americans with balance and wisdom he always seems to carry the torch of reason.Truly thankful for him and for his father who has stood by America through some of our most turbulent times.
Senator Rand Paul has stood honest,loyal and steadfastness for not just Kentucky but for all Americans.

oyarde
11-20-2015, 12:51 AM
Kentucky does not need any refugees .

jbauer
11-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Kentucky does not need any refugees .

Does anyone?

Anti Federalist
11-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Does anyone?

Quit yer microagressing.

timosman
11-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Does anyone?

Nobody does but we need to demonstrate our moral superiority. Is this the only way???

oyarde
11-21-2015, 01:14 AM
Does anyone?

I am not accepting any .