PDA

View Full Version : The problem with ronpaulblimp.com

rockfree33
12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
http://ronpaulblimp.com/index.php

1. Has a digital SSL certificate but doesn't require one because payments can only be made on google or wire transfer.

2. Doesn't accept credit cards - maybe they are working on that and that's why they bought a certificate.

3. Doesn't accept paypal. Paypal has hundreds of millions of users, way more than google checkout.

4. Ron Pauls fundraising comes from a lot of small donations. Wire transfers are usually for a big transactions because initiating and receiving one can cost around $15 at most banks.

These are the reasons of why I think ronpaulblimp.com is having a hard time raising money. They aren't utilizing popular methods for transactions.

Austin
12-06-2007, 05:16 PM

1. Has a digital SSL certificate but doesn't require one because payments can only be made on google or wire transfer.

2. Doesn't accept credit cards - maybe they are working on that and that's why they bought a certificate.

3. Doesn't accept paypal. Paypal has hundreds of millions of users, way more than google checkout.

4. Ron Pauls fundraising comes from a lot of small donations. Wire transfers are usually for a big transactions because initiating and receiving one can cost around $15 at most banks.

These are the reasons of why I think ronpaulblimp.com is having a hard time raising money. They aren't utilizing popular methods for transactions.

Uhh, doesn't Google Checkout use credit cards?

Also, it has a lower fee than PayPal.

ashlux
12-06-2007, 05:16 PM
PayPal would certainly help.

But I think it is more an issue of being so much different than the original plan. Looks like people have warmed up a bit more to it now (I have).

A sense of urgency should help too.

pacelli
12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I used a credit card with google checkout with no problems for my donation.

koob
I donated $10 today and used google checkout. I've never used it before, but it was very simple!

rockfree33
Uhh, doesn't Google Checkout use credit cards?

Also, it has a lower fee than PayPal.

It's more of a convenience issue. If people have to sign up for Google Checkout they are less likely to donate.

rory096
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
They're working on credit cards. Paypal takes a cut of money sent and tends to freeze accounts that get a lot of money quickly, so while I agree it should be added, it's not quite as good as Google Checkout. The wire transfers are for the big $5000 donations, of which I think there were a couple.

Arklatex
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm was also concerned when I couldn't use PayPal. PayPal is the shit.

TechnoGuyRob
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Um...Google Checkout IS credit card.

Trigonx
12-06-2007, 05:26 PM
google checkout was quick and simple, first time using it too.

wfd40
12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
google check out rejected my $100 dollar donation.

Now I have to call the CC co. =/

kutibah
12-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Also first time Google Checkout user...

unconsious767
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Also first time Google Checkout user...

Doesn't google checkout still offer $10 off for first time users?

slantedview
12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
The SSL cert is used to securely transmit data from the google server to the ronpaulblimp server, such as order stats, which then result in the tally getting updated on the main page :)

It can also be used, as others mentioned, to take orders direct on the ron paul blimp server, later on.

slantedview
12-06-2007, 05:39 PM
google check out rejected my $100 dollar donation.

Now I have to call the CC co. =/
Check to make sure that your CC was accurate, etc. I've seen google checkout reject a few orders for bad CC information, but it allows you to go in and correct your info, then it will process your order.

dagnybell
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I used Google Checkout for my $100 donation (on credit card) and it was the first time I used it and had no problems

TooConservative
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Forcing people to use Google Checkout for the first time does deprive them of the common $10 credit they can get from many merchants if they make a purchase via Google Checkout for the very first time.

Well, every $10 counts, eh? Our little projects all live on $10 donations.

InRonWeTrust
12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I used a credit card with google checkout with no problems for my donation.

Do you have to like set up an account and everything?

trueg
12-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Do you have to like set up an account and everything?

No. It is very simple. I was skeptical too being a first time user, but all you have to do is type your info into the boxes and hit okay. It was very easy. Much smoother than paypal.