PDA

View Full Version : Police Capt suspended for wearing LEGALIZE Pin

Mani
11-17-2015, 04:55 AM
One of the few that supports legalization for 2016 is now suspended and looks like they are going to dig dirt on him and who knows get rid of him.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Law-Enforcement/2015/11/09/Police-captain-on-leave-for-pot-legalization-support.html

A Vermilion police captain who favors marijuana legalization was placed on leave today for wearing a pin showing his support for the issue, according to a social media post.

The mayor told the Register Monday that all city employees are not allowed to advocate for any political issue while they are on the clock.

“A city employee on city time...can't advocate for any political issue while at work,” Vermilion Mayor Eileen Bulan said.

Vermilion police Capt. Mike Reinheimer, who's previously voiced support for legalization, posted to the Ohio NORML's (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) Facebook page Monday afternoon explaining the incident.

In his Facebook post, Reinheimer stated that he wore a pin stating “I support Legalize 2016” on his uniform jacket during an annual police auction over the weekend.

“Today I was placed on administrative leave by the Mayor of the City of Vermilion Eileen Bulan...specifically for showing my support for legalization by wearing this pin,” Reinheimer stated in the post.

The captain, a Vermilion police officer since 1999, said he'd find out more later on Monday.

“I stand tall behind my beliefs and my support is unconditional. Please share with anyone who supports legalization,” Reinheimer stated.

Bulan, however, told the Register on Monday afternoon that Reinheimer is being eyed for “several other issues” in addition to the pin incident.

“There will be other issues forthcoming. Right now, he's on administrative leave, so we'll have ...an investigation and a hearing,” Bulan said.

She declined to disclose the other infractions of which Reinheimer is suspected.

While wearing the button did factor into the decision to place Reinheimer on leave, Bulan said the other undisclosed matters also contributed to the decision.

The captain is now on paid administrative leave pending a disciplinary hearing.

So I guess, this is fine:

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/ccpr/pages/236/meta_images/original/pot_t_shirt_blacked_out_1414108754597_9310923_ver1 .0_640_480.jpg?1414173470

tod evans
11-17-2015, 05:05 AM
There's too much money to be made when weed's illegal for the "Just-Us" department to tolerate insubordination...

phill4paul
11-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Should have worn a Police Union button instead. The mayor wouldn't have dared to raise a stink.

Todd
11-17-2015, 07:21 AM
This is a toughy. He's principled and brave for doing this, but ultimately if he gets fired then he has no pull on the inside anymore.

It probably isn't too smart to go into the lions den with meat rubbed all over you. When you work in a field with people who's mindset is totally against this proposition, you are probably better off fighting it under the radar. Now he's probably useless.

fisharmor
11-17-2015, 07:35 AM
So things I get from this....

1) they think advocating legalization is equivalent to murder

2) the actual thing they're advocating matters, since we have all seen cops get in front of committees and call for gun control....

specsaregood
11-17-2015, 08:01 AM
//