PDA

View Full Version : Walter Jones votes against NDAA

jct74
11-13-2015, 08:20 AM
JONES STATEMENT ON NDAA PASSAGE

Oct 1, 2015

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Walter B. Jones (NC-3) gave this statement on passage of the conference report for H.R. 1735, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of Fiscal Year 2016:

“Today I voted no on the NDAA conference report for fiscal year 2016, which passed the House this afternoon. While this bill contains many good things, it does nothing to stem the waste, fraud, and abuse of U.S. taxpayers’ money in Afghanistan and Iraq. Instead, it authorizes the borrowing of another $38 billion – much of it from foreign powers like China and Russia – to finance the emergency overseas operations (OCO) account that has morphed into a slush fund for wasteful spending in Iraq and Afghanistan. At a time when the Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction (SIGAR), John Sopko, repeatedly reports that waste of federal funds in Afghanistan is worse than ever, it is inexcusable for Congress to continue to enable it. While this legislation provides more money for the endless wars in the Middle East, this bill cuts the Basic Housing Allowance for service members and increases Tricare copays on prescriptions, hurting members of our military who have put their lives on the line to serve our country. The corruption and the waste have to stop, both overseas and here at home. I will continue to do everything I can to ensure a strong national defense while cutting out the waste of American tax dollars and protecting the benefits our troops deserve.”

http://jones.house.gov/press-release/jones-statement-ndaa-passage-0

jct74
11-13-2015, 08:21 AM
letter to editor that appeared in a couple newspapers

Defending Our Troops' Rights

POSTED BY WALTER JONES FOR CONGRESS
OCTOBER 29, 2015 7:02 PM

Washington, D.C., lobbyist-turned-candidate for Congress Taylor Griffin criticized my vote against the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Apparently, Mr. Griffin thinks the best way to thank our troops for their service is to slash their earned benefits. I beg to differ.

Among other things, the NDAA will cut the Basic Housing Allowance for service members. It will also increase Tricare copays on prescription drugs, hurting those in our military who have put their lives on the line to serve our country.

And while the bill cuts benefits for our troops, it provides another several hundred million in U.S. taxpayer dollars to pay the salaries of Afghan soldiers and policemen. These would be the same Afghan soldiers who have murdered and wounded dozens of their American trainers, and who are raping young Afghan boys on U.S. military bases with impunity.

Defending those who defend us is my highest priority. That is why I have co-sponsored more bills to help our veterans than any other member of Congress.

What I will not do is endorse legislation pushed by political leaders in Washington that breaks the faith with our men and women in uniform. It is sad to see that Mr. Griffin will.

http://www.walterjonescommittee.com/defending_our_troops_rights