PDA

View Full Version : Walter Jones Receives Award For Fighting Unconstitutional Obamatrade

jct74
11-13-2015, 08:02 AM
JONES RECEIVES AWARD FOR FIGHTING UNCONSTITUTIONAL OBAMATRADE

Oct 21, 2015

Washington, DC—Yesterday, Congressman Jones received the Defender of the American Economy Award from the U.S. Business and Industry Council for opposing Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), popularly known as Obamatrade. Trade Promotion Authority gives President Obama a “fast track” to negotiate trade agreements such as the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), the Trade in Services Agreement (TiSA), and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (T-TIP). Despite Congressman Jones’ opposition, Congress passed TPA in June of this year.

“I am honored to receive the Defender of the American Economy Award from the U.S. Business and Industry Council for opposing unconstitutional “fast track” Trade Promotion Authority. I was extremely disappointed that Congress gave President Obama a blank check on trade with the passage of TPA. I strongly oppose giving fast track to any president, particularly President Obama. For the past six years he has ignored Congress, repeatedly abused his executive authority and flaunted the law on ObamaCare, amnesty for illegal aliens, and many other things,” said Congressman Jones. “Given his record, I am astonished that some of my colleagues were so eager to fork over even more of their constitutional authority for him to abuse. I will continue to fight TPP and other harmful trade deals in the coming months.”

http://jones.house.gov/sites/jones.house.gov/files/resize/images/10.20.15%20TPA%20Award_Kevin%20Kearns-450x338.jpg
Rep. Walter Jones (right) receives the Defender of the American Economy Award from U.S. Business and Industry Council President Kevin Kearns

Amid concerns about TPA and TPP, on June 10, 2015 Congressman Jones sent a letter to Congressman Paul Ryan, Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, urging Congressman Ryan to put pressure on the White House to release the text of TPP so that Congress and the American people could be fully informed on what the trade agreement entails, especially if it is considered under a “fast track.” That request was denied.

For more information on TPA and TPP, read Congressman Jones’ June op-ed published in the Carteret News Times.

http://jones.house.gov/press-release/jones-receives-award-fighting-unconstitutional-obamatrade