PDA

View Full Version : Polls: Are They Right or Wrong?

CPUd
11-04-2015, 10:19 PM
This will be an OFFICIAL scientific poll.

dusman
11-04-2015, 10:21 PM
I find this one to be the most realistic poll. None of us getting polled.

EBounding
11-04-2015, 10:24 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/4a/4a2f3bab40f94ed64c04148733b4123568b197a3b4cd2cdb2a 75e3a735605e41.jpg

klamath
11-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Where polls generally fail is judging voter passion to turn out. Get that wrong and it is egg face for them.

brandon
11-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I believe the independent pollsters make their best effort to poll accurately.

hells_unicorn
11-04-2015, 10:49 PM
I think the entire concept of polling is pseudo-scientific and meant to manipulate public sentiment, not measure it in any objective sense. Therefore, even if polls accurately reflect a result, they are still wrong at their root, both morally and as a matter of fact.

fcreature
11-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Polls are correct in that they provide an accurate portrayal of the views and opinions expressed by those who participated in them.

:eek:

Crashland
11-04-2015, 10:53 PM
I voted Right, because I think they are more right than a lot of people here give them credit for, not because I think they're perfect. Rand's support is probably under-represented, but I wouldn't expect Rand to outperform the polls any better than Ron did.

r3volution 3.0
11-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I do like bananas, but I prefer coconuts.

...or New York strip steaks with caramelized onions.

Yea, I prefer a good steak with caramelized onions...

....wait, what are we talking about again?

dusman
11-04-2015, 11:04 PM
I do like bananas, but I prefer coconuts.

...or New York strip steaks with caramelized onions.

Yea, I prefer a good steak with caramelized onions...

....wait, what are we talking about again?

Thanks. Now I'm hungry for steak. Boooo

Suzanimal
11-04-2015, 11:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/D7tA0RL.png

nikcers
11-04-2015, 11:12 PM
A poll can not be right or wrong, a person can be but that's just your opinion man, polls are just an incomplete collection of data. The interpretation of the data is the most important thing. It's just maths, and that's all fun and games until the news throws out math for bias. I've seen a lot of these polls and the news sort of creates these confirmation bias false narratives.

I've seen the argument be made too, Rand said to the media, no media you are interpreting the poll to say that X candidate has the support to be the nominee, and the pollsters aren't saying that. The pollsters even made the argument- they said hey I don't think our polls should be used to rig the debates. I guess more people believe the candidates that call the other candidates losers for losing electronic polls that don't even require an id or physical attendance. Odd that someone who can be accused of paying for crowds to show up to his speeches would never in a million years be accused of paying a polling company to rig poll results.

The Gold Standard
11-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I eat a banana every morning.

r3volution 3.0
11-04-2015, 11:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/D7tA0RL.png

^^closet ****?

...looks abnormally excited about that banana.

My elementary teacher once told me: you show me a tropical fruit and I'll show you a cocksucker from Guatemala.

...O, wait, that wasn't her.

...That was a guy I met in the army.

Crashland
11-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Odd that someone who can be accused of paying for crowds to show up to his speeches would never in a million years be accused of paying a polling company to rig poll results.

You mean, paying all polling companies to rig poll results to show the same trends? It's one thing if there is a polling company that consistently polls a certain candidate significantly higher or lower than all the other polling companies. It's quite another thing when the average from all the polling companies goes up or down 10 points.

TheTexan
11-04-2015, 11:40 PM
How can a poll be wrong? A poll can be nothing but neutral. It shows how many people voted for each item in the poll, exactly, with beautiful precision.

And more than that, the invention of internet polls, has truly brought voting to the masses. Nowadays, you can vote any time you like. Want to vote on your favorite color? There's a poll for that. Want to vote who you think will win the Republican nomination? There's a poll for that too.

Internet polls, have changed my life.

dannno
11-04-2015, 11:46 PM
How can a poll be wrong? A poll can be nothing but neutral. It shows how many people voted for each item in the poll, exactly, with beautiful precision.

And more than that, the invention of internet polls, has truly brought voting to the masses. Nowadays, you can vote any time you like. Want to vote on your favorite color? There's a poll for that. Want to vote who you think will win the Republican nomination? There's a poll for that too.

There is even a poll for whether or not polls are accurate.

Brett85
11-04-2015, 11:48 PM
They're becoming more and more inaccurate all the time, but that doesn't mean that there's some kind of intentional bias in the polls. I don't think that pollsters have some kind of intentional bias towards Rand and are colluding together to try to keep his poll numbers low.

nikcers
11-05-2015, 12:47 AM
You mean, paying all polling companies to rig poll results to show the same trends? It's one thing if there is a polling company that consistently polls a certain candidate significantly higher or lower than all the other polling companies. It's quite another thing when the average from all the polling companies goes up or down 10 points.

You're right, I agree it's very improbable that all the polling companies rig poll results to show the same trends. I have looked at almost every poll that's come out this election. My argument is that polls trend in whatever direction the media takes it. My argument is that it doesn't matter how the polling companies poll because the interpretation of the poll or the media is going to decide the "results".

There is even the possibility that pollsters tend to poll people who are more influenced by the media. One could also argue that if people are influenced by who the perceived winners are, that that could also influence general election results. With enough data you could make the argument that the discrepancy between polling and election results is the result of the mainstream media losing its monopoly on politics.

I could be wrong though I am just a spectator in this sport, I tried my damnedest to get Ron Paul elected and even when he was number one in the polling they would skip over Ron to tell me how well second and third place is doing.

invisible
11-05-2015, 01:10 AM

Wow, you must be voting really hard, and really often! Obviously you're a Good American.

Polls are nothing more than statistics, and statistics can be made to say anything. Sure, a poll is accurate as far as the reporting of the data. But that doesn't mean that it isn't rigged by means of sample size, or underpolling a certain demographic. And rigged polls make for excellent propaganda. Here's a classic example of an accurate poll:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Deweytruman12.jpg
For those unfamiliar with this example, the poll was perfectly accurate, and showed Truman losing (1948 election) by a landslide. Only problem was, they only polled people by telephone, and most of the voting population at that time didn't have one. Polls can be perfectly accurate, and lie to you at the same time. Again, it's easy to get a poll to say anything, and still be perfectly accurate.