PDA

View Full Version : Saudia Arabia exports water in the form of hay

kpitcher
11-03-2015, 12:39 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/11/02/453885642/saudi-hay-farm-in-arizona-tests-states-supply-of-groundwater

Let the water wars begin

Outside of Phoenix, in the scorching Arizona desert, sits a farm that Saudi Arabia's largest dairy uses to make hay for cows back home.

That dairy company, named Almarai, bought the farm last year and has planted thousands of acres of groundwater-guzzling alfalfa to make that hay. Saudi Arabia can't grow its own hay anymore because those crops drained its own ancient aquifer.

Reporter Nathan Halverson tells NPR's Renee Montagne that Almarai bought about 15 square miles in the Arizona desert.

"They got about 15 water wells when they purchased the property. Now, each one of those wells can pump about 1.5 billion gallons of water. It's an incredible amount of water they're going to be drawing up from that aquifer underground," Halverson says.

Not sure how a libertarian should view this. If one person is taking more out of the aquifer than is restored then that seems like harm is done to them, there should be ways to protect yourself against this harm.

kcchiefs6465
11-03-2015, 12:45 PM
The issue will be a moot one once better desalination techniques are realized.

I would imagine the state of Arizona or the federal government sold this land?

Zippyjuan
11-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Does Arizona have lots of water to desalinate?

Acala
11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
The market approach to allocation of resources like groundwater is complicated by the fact that it is fluid. But property rights can be assigned in the form of pumping rights per acre of surface land such that the aquifer will break even. Then the market can handle the rest. Without assignment of property rights you end up with a tragedy of the commons situation.

juleswin
11-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Saudi Arabia has a quite a few desalination plants, I remember watching documentaries about them on Saudi TV. But the problem with desalination plants is that they are high energy guzzlers. That is a problem for say California or Arizona but not for energy rich Saudi Arabia

But this story makes little sense, why would Saudi Arabia go half way around the world to make hay? when it would be much cheaper to do this in one of their poorer neighbour's land not named the United States of America.

kcchiefs6465
11-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Does Arizona have lots of water to desalinate?
Water desalination and the transportation of the water will one day make droughts a worry of the past.

To answer your question, not necessarily.

My point was more that the transfer of land was illegitimate, most probably.

Ronin Truth
11-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Arabian horse feed?

Bern
04-24-2023, 08:37 PM
https://ktar.com/story/5487088/arizona-revokes-water-permits-for-saudi-arabia-owned-alfalfa-farm/