PDA

View Full Version : Producer of ‘The Godfather’ Lands Rights to ‘Atlas Shrugged’ Novel for TV Miniseries

Lucille
11-02-2015, 06:00 PM
This is how it should have been done in the first place! Those movies were a huge mistake.

I just hope he doesn't "reimagine" her ideas too much. I also hope Jolie isn't cast as Taggart! I can't stand that weirdo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/02/business/media/producer-of-the-godfather-lands-rights-to-atlas-shrugged-novel.html

LOS ANGELES — It took a while — more than 40 years, actually.

But Albert S. Ruddy, a movie and television producer who does not like to quit, has landed rights to make his passion project: a screen version of “Atlas Shrugged,” Ayn Rand’s Objectivist bible.

Mr. Ruddy, whose canon includes films as varied as “The Godfather” and “The Cannonball Run,” almost had a deal back in the early 1970s, when he wooed Ms. Rand personally while sitting on a small couch in New York.

But Ms. Rand, who had left the Soviet Union in the 1920s and feared the Russians might acquire Paramount Pictures to subvert the project, wanted script approval; Mr. Ruddy, as adamant as she was, declined. “Then I’ll put in my will, the one person who can’t get it is you,” Mr. Ruddy recalls being told by Ms. Rand, who died in 1982.

Eventually, the rights were acquired by John Aglialoro, an investor and devotee of Ms. Rand’s philosophy, which celebrates capitalism and rational self-interest. Mr. Aglialoro became a producer of three independent films based on the nearly 1,200-page novel, beginning with “Atlas Shrugged: Part I,” released in 2011.

At the box office, however, the pictures made barely a blip. “You shot the book, not the movie,” Mr. Ruddy remembers telling Mr. Aglialoro, in explaining why he should let Mr. Ruddy try again.

In the last few months, Mr. Ruddy said, Mr. Aglialoro agreed, clearing the way for what Mr. Ruddy now expects to become a six- or eight-hour television version of the novel — ideally, for a world-ranging Netflix-type streaming service.

Mr. Ruddy, who is working up an outline for a writer or writers yet to be named, sees his rendition as a love story, built squarely around its commanding female protagonist, Dagny Taggart. (Angelina Jolie was in line for an earlier, never-made version.)

The main thing, Mr. Ruddy said, is to honor Ms. Rand’s insistence on making a film for the future. That means redrawing its capitalists and creators, who go on strike against creeping collectivism, as figures more familiar than the railroad heiress and industrial titans who figured in a book that was first published in 1957.

“When you look at guys like Jeff Bezos, he’s not only doing Amazon, he wants to colonize Mars,” Mr. Ruddy said. He spoke by telephone last week of his plan for a mini-series in which an Internet blackout led by Bezos-like figures might shut down cellphones, banks and almost everything else.

As for concerns about faithful Rand fans objecting to any liberties he might take with the book, Mr. Ruddy said he had none.

“If you can reimagine the Old Testament and the New Testament,” he said, “why can’t I reimagine Ayn Rand?”

Ronin Truth
11-03-2015, 12:08 PM
TV miniseries has been my recommendation for "Atlas Shrugged", for several decades now. An idea whose time has finally come, apparently. :rolleyes:

Now just don't screw it up.

osan
11-06-2015, 06:20 AM
This is how it should have been done in the first place! Those movies were a huge mistake.

I just hope he doesn't "reimagine" her ideas too much. I also hope Jolie isn't cast as Taggart! I can't stand that weirdo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/02/business/media/producer-of-the-godfather-lands-rights-to-atlas-shrugged-novel.html

Hooboy... "reimagine"... one of those words that so readily becomes a non-word in the sense of holding no pinnable meaning. IOW there is no reliability value in the term, a priori. Only a posteriori experience defines the term (maybe) in real experience.

The movies were not very good - not quite horrible, but close enough for my tastes. Ruddy is mistaken, however, in declaring the context in which the book was couched as dated, which is his clear meaning according to the quotes. Were he correct, every decent film would require remaking about every other generation and there wouldn't be a cowboy story worth a damn to a single soul. So that right there is worrisome. And what does he mean by "reimagine the Old Testament"? Is he referring to that idiotic film of recent years and whose title I cannot recall, where the director took dog-shyte liberties with the actual stories? If so, then the series may stand to light off another small nuke in the pants of those on the fence WRT to Rand's ideas. I would not trust this Ruddy fellow to the door until the product is out and proven in positive reality. I know that sounds pretty cynical - it is not meant that way.

Experience has demonstrated to me that there is no gap too wide to imagine between a man's spoken words, promises, and other declarations and his deeds. There is no act of bullshit too impossibly deserving of an Oscar(tm) to issue from the breasts of men. I place absolutely no lie, perfidy, or infamous crime beyond plausibility. We live in a time where, and I have bid you mark these word before, if we survive long enough before blowing ourselves into fiery nuclear hell, and barring a miraculous quantum alteration in the minds of enough men, we stand to see the return of the institutional catamite culture. Not only will the rape of small boys be tolerated, it will come to be accepted, lauded, then praised, and even one day become ho-hum. That is precisely how insane the average man is become.

At some point when circumstance has degenerated with sufficient gravity, the eyes of the cynic and those of the realist converge such that the one can no longer be differentiated from the other. We are rapidly approaching that time. Given this, the true meaning of "reimagine" will only become clear after the series airs.

At this point, methinks there are more important things with which to concern oneself, in any event.

idiom
11-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Suit yourself, I love this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoOpx6VwHk

angelatc
11-08-2015, 07:45 PM
“When you look at guys like Jeff Bezos, he’s not only doing Amazon, he wants to colonize Mars,” Mr. Ruddy said. He spoke by telephone last week of his plan for a mini-series in which an Internet blackout led by Bezos-like figures might shut down cellphones, banks and almost everything else.

I can't imagine it. Bezos is one of them, not one of us. I guess what makes it so unfathomable to me is that the capitalist in his pure form doesn't exist in our world any longer.

RabbitMan
11-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Bezos is one of "them?"

I was just listening to my local NPR affiliate a couple months ago where they complained that Corporations should be able to be more involved in civics and community building, and how terrible libertarians like Jeff Bezos were for insisting that politics and business should be separate.