PDA

View Full Version : Cato is worthless...

JPFromTally
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Here's another article from a Cato guy:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/OPINION05/712050306/1006/NEWS17

And more B.S.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071224/hayes

I thought Cato was supposed to be about "American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace." (from their About page). You'd think they'd be pushing him as much as Lew Rockwell, especially with their influence.

Bozos...

curtisag
12-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I can't wait to see the look on everyone's face when Ron Paul surprises everyone by winning the nomination.

quickmike
12-06-2007, 02:43 PM

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/OPINION05/712050306/1006/NEWS17

And more B.S.

I thought Cato was supposed to be about "American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace." (from their About page). You'd think they'd be pushing him as much as Lew Rockwell, especially with their influence.

Bozos...

guy in the first article said "he doesnt look presidential"

I always laugh when I hear people say this.

WTF does "look presidential" mean anyway. From what Ive seen, just about every president weve ever had looked very different from one another.

The Cato institute has lost its credibility in the last few years as far as im concerned. They are just as wishy washy as just about any other "think tank" group that has bowed at the altar of big government ass kissing.

Lord Xar
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Huh???

Here is an excerpt.. I didn't find the article bad at all...

Most of the current Republican candidates fall squarely into the big-government camp. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney imposed a Hillary Clinton-style health plan in his state and not only supports No Child Left Behind but calls for the federal government to buy a laptop computer for every child born in America. He thinks we should increase farm price supports.

John McCain has an admirable record as a fiscal conservative, but he shows a disturbing predilection for making a federal issue of every personal pet peeve from steroids in baseball to airplane service quality. He embraces heavily regulatory environmental policies that hurt businesses and cost jobs, such as expanding the Clean Water and Clean Air acts and implementing the Kyoto Protocols, and compulsory national service. More important, he is also the principal author of a campaign finance bill that severely restricts political speech.

Rudy Giuliani's record on civil liberties suggests he views the Constitution as an afterthought.

Fred Thompson talks a good game, but his record suggests he is closer to McCain-lite.

Mike Huckabee may be an even bigger spender than President Bush, and he never met a tax increase he didn't like.

Thus, when Ron Paul talks about returning to limited constitutional government, a great many Republican primary voters sit up and take notice. For voters hungering for a return to the party of Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan rather than the party of George W. Bush, Paul's rhetoric is a breath of fresh air.

No, Rep. Paul is not likely to be our next president. But he is delivering a message that the other candidates would do well to heed. Is anyone listening?

Seems that he "agrees" indirectly with the very nature of the article....

Maybe I am missing something..

curtisag
12-06-2007, 02:45 PM
guy in the first article said "he doesnt look presidential"

I always laugh when I hear people say this.

WTF does "look presidential" mean anyway. From what Ive seen, just about every president weve ever had looked very different from one another.

The Cato institute has lost its credibility in the last few years as far as im concerned. They are just as wishy washy as just about any other "think tank" group that has bowed at the altar of big government ass kissing.

CATO is only concerned with maintaining their influence. If they come out in support of an anti-establishment candidate, the powers-that-be will cut them off. They will no longer be able to affect the political process, and that makes them cowards. Principles no long mean anything, just power and influence for them.

kylejack
12-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Someone will be along shortly to say "HURR They're a non-partisan think-tank, they can't endorse."

drednot
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
HURR, they're a non-partisan think tank, they can't endorse.

Oddball
12-06-2007, 02:53 PM

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1516/brooksmelnx9.jpg

JPFromTally
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Like I said, they are supposedly for "American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace." And yet, they ignore Ron Paul. It doesn't make sense...

Yet, when they do mention him they have to throw in the typical caveat, "he won't win."

drednot
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I've been reading Cato for a long time and they are not flip-floppy at all.

They don't get into Federal Reserve issues, and they focus more on individual rights than state's rights.

But they oppose the Drug War, the Iraq War and the whole US empire. Don't confuse them with the Objectivists.

kylejack
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
HURR, they're a non-partisan think tank, they can't endorse.

Right on time!

chrismatthews
12-06-2007, 03:05 PM
ahh, the liberventionists. CATO is part of a split in the libertarian party. They dropped ideals a long time ago and now they function as a step-son to big government. For example, say the FED is passing a law that raises taxes on small business. CATO will inform them how to word the initiative so that it appears to be a tax break for consumers.

They are the enablers. Just like it's easy to find a GOP candidate that states he is for small government and nigh impossible to find one that actually is. They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk, quite the contrary actually.

Paulitician
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
"He doesn't look presidential" is one of the most pathetic, superficial and overall worthless 'arguments' (if you want to call it that) I have ever heard. It's like saying, "I want my country to go down the tubes because I'm more impressed by image than I am with issues and integrity." Freaking treasonous a-holes.

FreeTraveler
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Like I said, they are supposedly for "American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace." And yet, they ignore Ron Paul. It doesn't make sense...

Yet, when they do mention him they have to throw in the typical caveat, "he won't win."

They're big-government liberals wrapped in Libertarian clothes. They're pro-war, pro-managed trade, and pro-being influence peddlers.

JMann
12-06-2007, 03:17 PM
The only President in my life (Born '68) that has 'looked Presidential' is Reagan.

But I do get what he means. Paul does need to try and look the role. I know his fans don't think so but it is very important.

nullvalu
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
From The Nation article, Justin Raimondo on CATO:

"There's the populist wing of the libertarian movement, and then there's the Washington crowd that's still trying to sell libertarianism, or their version of it, to elites. These people want to go along and get along. As long as they can abort their babies and sodomize each other and take as many drugs as they want to, they are happy. They don't care who is being killed in Iraq and how many Iraqis are dying. That's their hierarchy of values."

Todd
12-06-2007, 03:20 PM

And more B.S.

Bozos...

I am really shocked that they waffle their support because he doesn't seem "Presidential". What the hell does that mean anyway? Listen to the message people! After 8 years of Bush stumbling and bumbling his words wit ("fool me once shame on me...fool me, don't get fooled again"). Aren't we past all this crap about people who talk in malapropisms?
I totally love Cato, but this is discouraging.

tsopranos
12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
The Beltway Boys of CATO have sold out. I told them to take me off their mailing list not too long ago after I received another one of their snail mail donation requests.

They send the same letter, telling us how much good they do, pat themselves on the back...and yet turn their back on the most principled candidate out there, Ron Paul.

I supported them for years, now...
GO FUCK YOURSELF CATO!

quickmike
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1516/brooksmelnx9.jpg

Ummm........... I think he was Governor right? LOL