PDA

View Full Version : January 22 Money Bomb?

AggieforPaul
12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
January 22 is the 35th anniversary of Roe v Wade, and its 5 weeks after 12/16. Would anybody be up for organizing a fund raising event on that day? I know abortion isnt one of the issues we all agree on, and this day doesnt exactly capture the "revolution" spirit like Guy Fawkes Day or the Boston Tea party. But if we want to win Super Tuesday (Feb 5th), we need to make a statement in late January and get more money to the campaign to spend in those states. This day already gets a lot of press due to all the pro life protesters who hold all day prayer sessions and picket at local Planned Parenthood buildings. If we could just get the press to make a political tie in about how we were raising money on that day, we could gnereate a ton of coverage.

This would also be a great way to try and win the social conservative vote away from Mike Huckabee. Thoughts?

Patrick Henry
12-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I likey..:p

SpicyItalian739
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure commemorance of such a divisive issue is a good idea

brumans
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
No more money bombs

AtomiC
12-06-2007, 02:23 PM
No that's not a good idea as abortion isn't one of Ron Paul's stronger topics.

ilovemypitbull
12-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I think that January 22nd is a little late for money to make a difference. It's probably better to give it all (whatever that means to each person) by December 16th. A good showing in Iowa or New Hampshire far outweighs saving some money for a new money bomb.

davidhperry
12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
No more money bombs

Yeah. Let's make the 16th huge and we can plan others after then.

AlexMerced
12-06-2007, 02:28 PM
yeah, let's focus on the 16th, by january 22nd the primaires will pretty much be a sealed deal, it won't matter by then. I know there will be a big push by many for new years eve and new years day, but that's probably the last of efforts like that.

After the early primaries the media will be covering the winners, and big fund raising days won't do us any good anymore, at that point what will matter will be mobilizing in all the super tuesday states.

JMann
12-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think it is a good idea to voluntary bring up the abortion issue. You only like to touch on that issue when you are asked and there is no escape.

wbbgjr
12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
In my opinion it is not a good idea since it's a divisive issue. The Tea Party brings people together.. that's the point...

da32130
Also, if he wins it might be a fight to the finish(even the last primary may matter).

here are lists for other days:
http://www.entourages.com/barbs/january.htm
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/revolution/index.html
http://www.aboutfamouspeople.com/article1213.html
http://www.hisdates.com/months/jan/01.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B2RNFA_enUS219US227&q=historical+events+in+january&btnG=Search

(not really big on the abortion theme)

AlexMerced
again, what you gonna do witht hat money with only 13 days to spend it, bad idea, admire the intentions

Abortion is very bad issue to ever bring up, ever... it's like every issues, at the base everyone agrees, they disagreeon how it shouldbe handled, and think the other side are assholes for being on the other side...

Same thing almost every issue, but when your talking babies and uteruses, people get sensitive

akovacs
12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd rather go with Martin Luther King's birthday or something like that.

RoyalShock
12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
New Year's Day?

"A new year, a new hope for America!"

Too cheesy?

Chaos Unlimited
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't highlight the abortion issue. It's polarizing. Many of us supporters are pro-choice.

AlexMerced
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I'd rather go with Martin Luther King's birthday or something like that.

that wouldn't be a bad one, and would make sense with the whole pro-civil disobedience

that doesn't come up like it used to, I rmember people treated himlike he wantedto overthrow the government or something and it used to always end up in discussions of Civil Disobedience

wow... things have changed

Naraku
12-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Trevor has already come out in support of an MLKJ bomb.

Sounds like he would like to make the theme about his "I Have a Dream" speech. However, this shouldn't really be talked about until December 16th.

AggieforPaul
12-06-2007, 04:25 PM
No that's not a good idea as abortion isn't one of Ron Paul's stronger topics.

I beg to differ. Its the core issue of the strongest 3rd of the Reagan coalition (social conservatives). If we lose that group to Huckabee or Thompson, we cannot win the Republican nomination.

The issue shoudlnt necessarily be emphasized in the general election, but it has to be talked about during the GOP primary.

AggieforPaul
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Don't highlight the abortion issue. It's polarizing. Many of us supporters are pro-choice.

And the vast majority of the republican party is pro-life. This revolution isnt about us, its about freedom. Are RP's pro choice supporters willing to accept a federalist approach to abortion in exchange for an end to the war, the abolition of the FR, the tearing down of the CFR, and the restoration of the Constitution? Of course. But to make that happen, we first have to win the REPUBLICAN nomination.

fletcher
12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Trevor has already come out in support of an MLKJ bomb.

Sounds like he would like to make the theme about his "I Have a Dream" speech. However, this shouldn't really be talked about until December 16th.

God has spoken!

No more money bombs at all after the 16th. The 16th will set all records and get media attention, something moneybombs after it won't do. If you have money to donate after the 16th do it the first day you can. The campaign will need the money as soon as they can get it.

Shaun
12-06-2007, 04:44 PM
MLKJ was a two timing, bible thumping, wife cheating liar. What a great idea to link our campaign to him....smart. Real smart.
I would hope Ron Paul would immediately shut down the debacle that is the MLKJ celebration day.
It makes about as much sense as celebrating Columbus day because " he was the guy who discovered America.." yeah sure and MLKJ was the guy who gave us freedom...get a life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

thisisgiparti
12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
MLK day... squash this talk of white supremacists.

akovacs
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
MLKJ was a two timing, bible thumping, wife cheating liar. What a great idea to link our campaign to him....smart. Real smart.

While this may be true, he was good at using non-violent protest, and that's what most people know him for. His public image is pretty good. It would also help dispel the racist remarks that were in his newsletter.

Anyway, it could be any other day, I'm just saying the making it about abortion is a real turnoff as well as being divisive.

RPinSEAZ
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Two thumbs down. There is no need for any moneybomb after the 16th because the purpose of moneybombing is for the media attention. If the 16th doesn't do what it is supposed to do nothing EVER will.

AFM
12-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Too late.
December 16th will be an epic day for all liberty supporters
A day when men and women will race outside federal hall as f22s pass overhead
Beautiful

LibertyEagle
12-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think this is a good idea at all. One, it's a very divisive issue and two, I really think we need to lay off the money bombs for awhile.

Shouldn't we just focus on making 12/16 a big success right now? That's certainly plenty that we have bitten off and we really need to do everything possible to make it a resounding success.

Mark37snj
12-06-2007, 05:00 PM
NOT A GOOD IDEA, NOT AT ALL. I would take that as an act of Spite and Arrogance. Thats not what Ron Paul is about.

troyd1
12-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Just worry about the tea party.

eric_cartman
12-06-2007, 05:04 PM
not a good idea. abortion isn't a good issue to talk about. also, no more talk about future money bombs until the tea party is over. and jan. 22ed is my birthday too! but still, not a good idea, sorry.

mmink15
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
A money bomb on date of Roe v. Wade will haunt Ron Paul during general elections and we can win alot of Dems in general election

Adamsa
12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
In my opinion it is not a good idea since it's a divisive issue. The Tea Party brings people together.. that's the point...

Yup.

monotony
12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Half the supporters disagree with Paul on this issue to some degree. I am up for a money bomb, just not in commemoration of something so emotionally and politically charged.

strategos
12-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I think that January 22nd is a little late for money to make a difference. It's probably better to give it all (whatever that means to each person) by December 16th. A good showing in Iowa or New Hampshire far outweighs saving some money for a new money bomb.

Yes, please make all money bombs soon, dont make people save for money explosions when its to late.

Naraku
12-06-2007, 05:16 PM
There is no need for any moneybomb after the 16th because the purpose of moneybombing is for the media attention.

No, it also does a good job of drawing in new donors and large amounts of fundraising cash that wouldn't be possible if people just donated whenever they felt like it.

Media attention is just one of its many benefits.

Flirple
12-06-2007, 05:17 PM
No way. Too divisive an issue.

The theme should be inclusive. I would like a Martin Luther King day money bomb. But perhaps we should wait until after the 16th to before we spend to much time thinking about another event.

ursamajor
12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
my dad is an aggie. unfortunately, i feel like this kind of event would get lampooned by people taking it way out of context.

lasenorita
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
We don't need another one, imho. After the Tea Party, what we need is a steady Money Stream. Maybe a donate $1 a day or $25 every Friday thing...

pacelli
12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree, I think it is a bad idea. In my opinion, we've been building up the tea party for quite some time, and I know that Dr. Paul is very much looking forward to it. I think we should focus on the tea party until it has occurred. Someone in another thread mentioned "donor saturation". There is only so much money we can save up and give to the campaign as a collective body of grassroots supporters, and I think most of us are planning on blowing our wads on the 16th. That is our day to make history and give the MSM something they will never be able to ignore.

After the tea party, I agree with with LaSenorita that we should have a steady money stream as needed by Dr. Paul. Perhaps some mini fundraisers based on how much the campaign needs to spend at that time, but the grassroots movement is much more than organizing money bombs over the internet if we want to increase visibility.

AggieforPaul
12-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I wont bring it up again until after 12/16, but I just want to emphasize that this is a huge issue in the REPUBLICAN primary.