PDA

View Full Version : My mom keeps mistaking Paul Ryan for Rand Paul

jmdrake
10-28-2015, 07:50 AM
So...my mom called me the other day excitedly asking me "Did you hear that Rand Paul was about to be nominated speaker of the House?" I was like "Mom. That's impossible. Rand's in the Senate. I mean technically that could, but I just don't see how it ever would." She was like "I really thought I read it was Rand Paul." Then I said "Wait a minute. You probably read 'Paul Ryan.' I can see how you can get that confused. One is Paul R and the other is R Paul." She just laughed and said "You're probably right. I thought last time (election 2012) they picked Paul Ryan because they thought people might get confused and think they were voting for Rand Paul." I just laughed and said "Maybe."

Realize my mom is in her 80s. Also she's a lifelong democrat but voted for Ron Paul in both primaries though ultimately voted for the democratic nominee (Obama). She's not a big Obama fan and warned me about the coming of socialized medicine back in the 1970s. Anyhow, no political significance to this anecdote. I just found it amusing.

CPUd
10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
This may explain why Rand's poll numbers are getting better.

jkob
10-28-2015, 09:33 AM
This may explain why Rand's poll numbers are getting better.

lol what is sad is there may actually be some truth to this, I'm interesting what percentage of the idiot vote Rand would pick up if hypothetically Paul Ryan was the frontrunner right now? That has to be good for a few points lol.

Indy Vidual
10-28-2015, 09:50 AM
We have a PAUL as speaker of the House!
Oops...

cajuncocoa
10-28-2015, 09:57 AM
So...my mom called me the other day excitedly asking me "Did you hear that Rand Paul was about to be nominated speaker of the House?" I was like "Mom. That's impossible. Rand's in the Senate. I mean technically that could, but I just don't see how it ever would." She was like "I really thought I read it was Rand Paul." Then I said "Wait a minute. You probably read 'Paul Ryan.' I can see how you can get that confused. One is Paul R and the other is R Paul." She just laughed and said "You're probably right. I thought last time (election 2012) they picked Paul Ryan because they thought people might get confused and think they were voting for Rand Paul." I just laughed and said "Maybe."

Realize my mom is in her 80s. Also she's a lifelong democrat but voted for Ron Paul in both primaries though ultimately voted for the democratic nominee (Obama). She's not a big Obama fan and warned me about the coming of socialized medicine back in the 1970s. Anyhow, no political significance to this anecdote. I just found it amusing.
Hmmm... honestly, I can see how someone who doesn't pay as close attention as we do might confuse the two. The names are similar. This is not good. In your case, you can correct your Mom, but how many others out there are confused the same way?? :eek:

Xenliad
10-28-2015, 10:08 AM
My mom told me in 2012, when Romney picked his vp, she thought it was Rand Paul until she started looking him up. She voted for Ron Paul in the caucus and Romney in the general. She's in her 50s.

Crashland
10-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, John Paul, its all the same

Liberty74
10-28-2015, 10:15 AM
My mom told me in 2012, when Romney picked his vp, she thought it was Rand Paul until she started looking him up. She voted for Ron Paul in the caucus and Romney in the general. She's in her 50s.

Funny cause I remember a few message boards that people were upset that Romney picked Ron Paul.

Brian4Liberty
10-28-2015, 11:44 AM
A lot of people make (And have made) that mistake. It's just an indicator of the level of knowledge out there with a lot of the general voters.

Someone told me the other day I should be happy that people are saying good things about Rubio, as he is Tea Party...

Valli6
10-28-2015, 12:02 PM
I just heard on CSPAN that Paul Ryan is "changing" his official name to "Paul D. Ryan". The D is for Davis.

PCKY
10-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Tell her that Rand is the tall one with swanky hair... :)

ThePaleoLibertarian
10-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Wait just a minute... Have we ever seen Rand Paul and Paul Ryan in the same room together?

PierzStyx
10-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, John Paul, Paulie Shore,its all the same

Added bold.