PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan blasts Boehner over budget deal

Brian4Liberty
10-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Paul Ryan blasts Boehner over budget deal (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/paul-ryan-blasts-john-boehner-senate-white-house-budget-deal-215182)
'I think the process stinks,' Ryan says of the secretive talks that produced the tentative budget and debt ceiling agreement.
By Jake Sherman - 10/27/15

Rep. Paul Ryan on Tuesday blasted Speaker John Boehner, Senate leadership and the White House for the secretive process they used to negotiate a two-year budget and debt ceiling agreement that appears poised to pass Congress this week.

"I think the process stinks," said Ryan, who is expected to be elected speaker on Thursday. The Wisconsin Republican added that he hadn't gone through the details of the agreement, which was released Monday night.

"This is not the way to do the people's business," Ryan said. "And under new management we are not going to do the people's business this way. We are up against a deadline — that's unfortunate. But going forward we can't do the people's business (this way). As a conference we should've been meeting months ago to discuss these things to have a unified strategy going forward."

Ryan has promised major changes to the legislative process as speaker in response to complaints from conservatives. They say Boehner's style has been too top-down and crisis-driven, largely ignoring the input of committees and rank-and-file members.

Ryan has been an ally of Boehner's throughout the Ohio Republican's five years as speaker. Ryan's remarks criticizing how the deal came to fruition represent his starkest public split with the man he's set to replace as Republican leader.

Boehner said he wasn't a fan of the process himself. "Totally agree, totally agree," the outgoing speaker said in response to Ryan's criticism.

Parroting Ryan's own terminology, Boehner added, "It stinks. This is not the way to run a railroad."
Ryan, the likely next speaker, has not said how he'll vote on the accord, which is expected on the House floor Wednesday. The deal, however, helps Ryan immensely. It sets budget levels for two years, lifts the debt ceiling until March 2017 and removes the threat of a government shutdown until October 2016. Ryan did not negotiate the deal, and wants to put some space between himself and the accord. Many Republicans are expected to vote against it.

The House Republican Conference will vote on Ryan's candidacy for speaker Wednesday and the full House will vote on the next speaker Thursday.
More: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/paul-ryan-blasts-john-boehner-senate-white-house-budget-deal-215182

Sola_Fide
10-27-2015, 05:11 PM
Who cares? He's going to vote for it anyway.

Crashland
10-27-2015, 05:33 PM
It's the same thing every time. "We should have done this months ago, going forward we need to change...but right now we have to pass this horseshit because I'm a spineless turd like everyone else here in Washington"

Zippyjuan
10-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Who cares? He's going to vote for it anyway.

Yep. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/paul-ryan-support-budget-deal-215231

Paul Ryan will support budget deal

After sharply criticizing how it came together, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan announced he would support the budget deal Wednesday.

"What I’ve heard from members over the last two weeks is a desire to wipe the slate clean, put in place a process that builds trust, and start focusing on big ideas," Ryan said in a statement. "What has been produced will go a long way toward relieving the uncertainty hanging over us, and that’s why I intend to support it. It’s time for us to turn the page on the last few years and get to work on a bold agenda that we can take to the American people."

Ryan will stand before his House Republican colleagues Wednesday morning in a closed election to be the next speaker of the House. He has assured his GOP colleagues that he would not cut deals in this manner, even going as far as saying the process "stinks." In his statement Wednesday morning, he reiterated that if he's elected speaker, "we will begin a conversation about how to approach these big issues – as a team – long before we reach these kinds of deadlines. We simply can’t keep doing business this way."

Some conservative Republicans have said they would carefully watch how Ryan votes on this package. North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows, a Freedom Caucus leader, called on all speaker candidates to oppose the bipartisan deal.

Ryan said he'd support this package, in part, because it includes "meaningful reforms to strengthen our safety net programs, including significant changes to bolster Social Security. It would allow us to return to regular order in our budget process. And it would mean our men and women in uniform have the resources they need to carry out their mission."

He said it includes "some good, some bad, and some ugly."

Ronin Truth
10-28-2015, 01:23 PM
That's just one of the reasons that it's called CONgress.

The exact opposite of PROgress.

nobody's_hero
10-28-2015, 03:38 PM
This is probably gonna sounds sexist, but the relationship between republican 'leaders' and republican voters who support them reminds me of battered wife syndrome.

"No, honey, I promise, this time will be different."

georgiaboy
10-28-2015, 03:41 PM
he's abandoned the free market in order to save it.

Ronin Truth
10-28-2015, 03:41 PM
A little late to whine and complain, now Paul. You signed on.